The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Banamine to determine ulcers?

Vet says: To determine if the bad undersaddle behaviors are related to ulcers, give him Banamine before and see if they behaviors go away. If they DO - it is ulcers.

I say (loudly): Where's the fruitbat??

I have never heard of Banamine being used as an "ulcer test."

Am I out of the loop - uneducated - or off my rocker?

Uh, no. Banamine, being an NSAID, will exacerbate or even CAUSE ulcers. (A single dose is unlikely to cause them, but it's possible. Multiple doses can certainly cause them, though.)

Stick with maalox or tums or ranitadine for this sort of test.

2 members found this post helpful.

Goodness, not a good test. Just Gastrogard for 3-5 days and see if things get better. Then you know and haven't made things worse.

Just to add: I thought my mare had ulcers and we did 8 days of GastroGard, one full tube daily. At the end of the 8 days, she was not even a smidge better than when we started, and she was full blown colicky/off feed/off water, etc. I wasn't convinced that it wasn't ulcers even though she didn't get better. I had her scoped. She had terrible ulcers. www.photobucket.com/ulcers

Moral of the story: sometimes even a few days on GastroGard won't make a difference, but that doesn't mean your horse is ulcer free.

I have found with my mare since, as she keeps having recurring ulcers issues, that ranitidine gives a much faster turnaround for symptoms improving. Now, I use ranitidine when she seems to be NQR - it's cheaper and works quicker.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Yes, banamine can make ulcers worse.

If your horse has mild to moderate ulcers, 1 tube a day of Ulcergaurd/Gastroguard for 7 days should show improvement. As someone mentioned above, if the ulcers are very bad, you won't see improvement that quickly.

Substitute "pain" for "ulcers" and that sort of trial makes sense. Otherwise . . . WTF?
    Click here before you buy.

I vote the vet has it backwards. If he gets better the pain was somewhere other than the gut. If he colics or gets worse it was ulcers that are probably more severe now due to the banamine.

I would do some treatment doses of ulcergard/gastrogard and see if the horse improves.

Try cimetidine. Never heard of banamine for ulcers, can't see that working. But I've seen cimetidine do the trick.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I can't believe your vet suggested that. I would be looking for another vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

Banamine is a really potent anti-inflammatory and will decrease pain wherever it happens to be, whether it's GI (ulcers included), soft tissue, etc. As you know, it can cause ulcers (and exacerbate existing ones) and isn't going to help you differentiate GI pain from pain originating somewhere else in the body.

Yes - the vet is correct. We did this on my mare and she did a complete turn around. We weren't sure if her issues were hormonal or pain.

Scoped her and found ulcers - which they agreed the banamine would make worse so you don't wanna keep it up.

OP, what if your horse has pain ELSEWHERE (other than the stomach) and its an injury or inflammation that banamine would also help improve upon...??? You could have an improved horse with banamine, and that doesnt' necessarily mean its ulcers.

Using only banamine to determine if a behavior under saddle is ulcer related is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    Yes - the vet is correct. We did this on my mare and she did a complete turn around. We weren't sure if her issues were hormonal or pain.

Scoped her and found ulcers - which they agreed the banamine would make worse so you don't wanna keep it up.
    The pain could have been anywhere and the banamine could have caused the ulcers you found when you scoped. I still vote it's a majorly dumb idea.

It is extremely unlikely that one or two doses of Banamine will cause ulcers.
    If your horse improves, his issue is pain-related. Scoping requires withholding feed, which will also exacerbate ulcers, but will give you a more definitive diagnosis and eliminate the need for a pain killer, if you are concerned about that route.
    The best solution is to talk through the reasoning with your vet, who knows you and the horse and your situation and you can discuss any concerns.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

IME one dose of banamine will not cause ulcers, but if they've got a raging hole in their gut the banamine is going to piss it off more. So my layperson's guess is the vet is wrong.

Giving a horse that's suspect of ulcers is like putting fire to kerosene to test if it's flammable.

Also, up until 2 yrs ago I'd say yes, fasting was the best way to scope for ulcers, but one vet visited on the farm with his portable scope on the third 'colic' episode in so many nights. Horse had a belly full of hay and yes, ulcers were very VERY visible around the half digested hay. Saw it myself.

The pain mine had was definitely ulcers....but it took 45 days of GGard to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    The pain mine had was definitely ulcers....but it took 45 days of GGard to get rid of them.

Okay, but what I'm saying is that just because a horse responds to a pain medication like banamine doesn't necessarily mean the pain is from ulcers.

There are many other things that could be remedied by pain medication and the horse could then seem "better" because its not in pain anymore...doesn't mean the horse had ulcers...