The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weirdest Horse Shopping Experience Ever!

I've been casually horse shopping on and off for the last year or so after putting my little mare down. I'd like to have my next horse lined up for after I have to retire the old mare and there has been one horse that caught my eye locally. She's been advertised as an imported Hanoverian former Grand Prix mare that jumped six foot but needs to step back down to no more than 3'6" but really loves dressage. She also needs to be a one owner horse. For $2,200 on one ad and $1,500 on the other. Sounds like a potential good deal says I.

I called about her last week and we set up a time for me to see her this morning. Over this last week, I've been researching and what I've found out about the mare is interesting. She is NOT imported. I have spoken to her breeder and she was bred in the midwest. She is well bred - her sire showed in two olympic games and medaled in both. But, this mare was born with a club foot and had check ligament surgery so never went through the inspection process due to it. She was sold to a BNT who then went onto sell her to a girl who showed her in Children's hunters and pre-greens in Wellington. This proved to be too much for the mare and she was unsound more than she was sound and eventually was given away to a groom at the barn.

The groom wanted to breed her and had her with a veterinarian and all attempts to get her to take were unsuccessful. The groom racked up quite a tab with the vet and eventually left the mare with the vet and walked away. The vet kept her for a little while and had her registered in her name. I confirmed with the AHS registry that the veterinarian is still the registered owner.

When I got there today I let the lady talk and asked questions about how she came to acquire her. Apparently, the vet who she's still registered to had her with a barn in Florida where the lady got her for $5000, which she felt was a steal of a deal in a barn full of $45,000+ horses. She brought her up north and now realizes that she's not a good enough rider for the horse.

The horse I saw today looks sad. She's thin, has a huge calcification on her knee and her joints were all stiff. She's been in a stall for days due to horrendous rain we're having and she's the only horse in a dark, windowless bank barn.

I looked at the woman and said "I'll be 100% honest with you, in the last week I've done quite a bit of research on her and whoever sold her to you as an imported former grand prix horse took you. I spoke to her breeder, she was born in the midwest and has quite an interesting history." To which I was told "This conversation is over. You need to leave and if you don't, I'm calling the police."

I was, and still am, a bit flabberghasted. Even in her sorry state, my bleeding heart might have offered her a soft place to land if she needed it even if it set me back some cash. The thought of this arthritic, skinny mare in her late teens being subjected to jumping 3'6" just breaks my heart. I don't get people sometimes.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hm, I would bet that the woman who has her now knows the whole story and is trying to pull the wool over someone else's eyes. I'm betting she's not sound enough to hold up to any real work so the woman is trying to get a quick sale off her. If she was actually as advertised she'd be worth a heck of a lot more than $2,200. Add another zero and you would be close

9 members found this post helpful.

You are right, that was a strange situation.

In a way, you as much as accused her of lying, which she may or not have been doing.
    She may honestly have swallowed the story hook, sinker and line and may suspect, but not know any better what you just confirmed to her.

She may have thought you were going to be trouble, or using what you know to lowball the price, or who knows what.

Asking you to leave, ok.
    Threatening to call the police, without you having refused to leave, well, that is a bit over the top.

I understand your point on the mare left there, that is too bad, but I don't think you can now get any other done there but hope things work out somehow for her, it is out of your hands after the owner told you to leave.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    In a way, you as much as accused her of lying, which she may or not have been doing.
    I don't feel like I accused her of lying. I think all horse people get taken by someone eventually. If you sail through the horse world without hitting a bump in the road, well then you're navigating this world better than the rest of us.

The fact that she tucked tail and ran back to the barn as soon as I said "I know this mare's history and it's interesting" made me go .

5 members found this post helpful.

She is trying to perpetuate a fraud and by the sounds of it, knows it. False advertising over the internet is a federal crime isn't it?

A friend once sold a horse as light use sound only and gave the buyers all his vet info, x-rays and so on. then we saw him for sale by someone else as a "level 2 dressage horse and level 1 jumper" or some such nonsense (horse had done training level dressage and cross pole hunters, but was no longer sound enough for even that!).

She contacted the seller and confirmed it was her former horse. In this case though the seller was upset that she was lied to, but appreciated the information and took the horse off the market, instead retiring him (his lower and upper hock joints were fusing). THAT is the normal/ethical response.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, of course there are all kinds of people in the horse world. Right now having a BO issue, and as much as I loved her positiveness, she also seems to not want to hear bad news or anything negative. Agree that's not a bad way to be, but it is if you want to remain uninformed and could affect others' and animals' well being. Perhaps this owner didn't want to hear anything negative either.

Either that, or she thinks you're trying to make a deal and run by providing a background she doesn't want to believe.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

The problem with warning the seller that lies had been told is that she was the one telling them.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Hm, I would bet that the woman who has her now knows the whole story and is trying to pull the wool over someone else's eyes. I'm betting she's not sound enough to hold up to any real work so the woman is trying to get a quick sale off her. If she was actually as advertised she'd be worth a heck of a lot more than $2,200. Add another zero and you would be close
    Agreed! That is so sad. The woman is looking for a sucker, that poor mare!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is there a chance that she's not actually the legal owner of the horse, or that there's some sort of grey area there? That sort of reaction just seems so overboard for some fairly run of the mill exaggeration about where the horse came from and what she can do.

Wow the only thing stranger than fiction is reality. Poor mare, her story sounds like something straight out of a Black beauty novel. As for the lady asking you to leave, well you upset her, or offended her, or called her on the carpet. Whatever it was ,guess the truth hurts and she didnt want to hear it or deal with it, causing her to ask you to leave.She apparently was not looking for an educated consumer. These days with the computer access to data we now have its harder to weave the web of deception. And if people dont want to educate themselves or dig a little for answers, well thats their problem.
    I can totally get how you feel badly for this horse, it will be hard to let it just go. Otherwise why else would you be posting. Hope your search goes better in the future.

I will say though, that through this, her breeder and former owner (the one that showed her) have been absolutely amazing. Both have totally stepped up to the plate and said "Anything you need - just ask." I called them both when things went sour this morning and both said they were going to network on their end to see if we can possibly get her back home to someone within one of their circles so she doesn't fall through the cracks. While there are some real doozies out there in the horse world, the two ladies who I've talked to have restored my faith that there are still good eggs out there.

17 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like this mare is going to find a soft place to land. Way to go OP for alerting some people that sound like they obviously care about her.

Definitely weird! However, I'm really glad her previous owners are good eggs and it sounds like she may end up in a better situation!! We're there any pictures of her that may have alerted you or possibly a lack of pictures?

Snowflake, thank you for being a good advocate for this unfortunate mare even though you have no obligation to do so. Here's hoping she makes her way back to safe harbor near her former breeder and former show owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I will say though, that through this, her breeder and former owner (the one that showed her) have been absolutely amazing. Both have totally stepped up to the plate and said "Anything you need - just ask." I called them both when things went sour this morning and both said they were going to network on their end to see if we can possibly get her back home to someone within one of their circles so she doesn't fall through the cracks. While there are some real doozies out there in the horse world, the two ladies who I've talked to have restored my faith that there are still good eggs out there.