The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh.....
    Well, little Quasi is outside in the fenced run inside a chicken wire "paddock" with her food & water.
    Other hens are studiously ignoring her.

BUT:
    She is not eating like I'd like to see.
    Not chowing down like the other girls.

She took a couple bites of the oatmeal/egg/yogurt mash and nibbled a pellet or two, had a bite of the cut-up apple treat everyone got.
    But I'd like to see her eating more - she needs to put on some weight.

Any ideas to jumpstart her pigging out like the others?
    Could stress/anxiety at the change of environment make her stop eating?
    She is drinking - I filled a chick waterer for her and the level is down.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Small flock dynamics with smaller range space can equal PITA depending on the chooks involved. We don't micromanage here but a little extra care on the front end has saved me extra output on the back end. Learn from mistakes. One hen is harder to integrate.

That said, OP - there are quite a few feathering patterns but if what you are describing is mottled, maybe a speckled Sussex? Is the pattern more penciled? The bird fanciers get really technical over coloring (haha like sorrel v. chestnut - like we horse folk don't! haha) and a good place to go for all sorts of chicken knowledge is http://www.backyardchickens.com/ Cruise through the forums - very helpful, very much like here w/folks who are really opinionated, really knowledgeable, really new, etc. BUT a great resource.

We stumbled into chicken keeping b/c our daughter did an embryology project and then a 4-H project on entrepreneurship. I always thought I'd enjoy keeping the birds, but never this much. We've got 8 or 9 breeds in our flock - bantams (Seramas) and standards. ALL different personalities...cracks me up to watch them! DD has her faves - one of whom comes running up to her to be picked up! We've got 1/2 dozen Ameraucanas that we call the Mafia b/c they quietly stalk & set up squirrels, stray cats, moles, etc. and try to take them out in a way that reminds us of the velociraptors in Jurrasic Park. Most days I get more entertainment watching these birds and our other animals than I do watching the idiot box. lol

Finzean: you are right on the money!
    I never expected so much personality in such a little body.
    Noone ever told a chicken 5# of feathers is no match for 150# of human!
    They let me know what they think in no uncertain terms!

The feather pattern is mottled, no penciling, or I'd have thought
    Wyandotte.

I'm actually a member of BYC, but since I was beaten severely for suggesting a zebra was a less than ideal pet equine I've kind of lost my taste for the BB.
    COTHers with birds seem to have as much knowledge as the BYCers with a lot less sugarcoated 'tude.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

2DogsFarm - I was beat down at BYC for suggesting that my neighbor AND his loose, chicken-hassling, chicken-killing dogs were both gonna get a fanny full of rat shot!! I can only imagine how an anti-zebra comment threw the community into chaos!! LMAO!

We have a Serama that is black w/white speckling. Martha Drum has Sussexes, I *think*...maybe she has linked a photo on here at some point but the breed is easily googled for an image. either way her girls are speckled...

JB just went on the hunt for grubs and goodies for her sick chicken...she could make suggestions I'm sure. Maybe try just plain scrambled egg?

Yep, thankfully the manure/compost pile is quite happy to give up huge grubs and worms Start putting boxes in the barn, and over a couple of nights you might be surprised how many mealworms you find

Our girls love, and I mean LOVE, canned pumpkin. I'm also feeding her scrambled eggs (shell and all), plain Greek yogurt, some oatmeal (not her fave but if it's only every 3-4 days she'll go at it for a while). Oh, she'll KILL you for a banana We usually toss apple cores to them all too, apples are a big hit.

Oh - offer all these things separately - sometimes they need to just pick one.

Also, get a small bag of layer *meal* and see if that's more to her liking - most of our hens eat the pellets just fine, but we found this girl really prefers the meal and she'll happily eat that. If she'll eat that, offer her a little bit with a crushed up 1/4-1/2 of a Brazil nut for some extra selenium and see if that helps at all.

I've read that chickens love dandelion greens (not so much the flowers), and while ours don't seem to really love them, you might try that for your girl. Yes, I have picked them and chopped them up in her scrambled eggs lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sigh.....
    Well, little Quasi is outside in the fenced run inside a chicken wire "paddock" with her food & water.

BUT:

She took a couple bites of the oatmeal/egg/yogurt mash and nibbled a pellet or two, had a bite of the cut-up apple treat everyone got.

Well, definitely a good reason to keep her separated from your flock, as it's unknown if she has any diseases. Keep an eye on her poop for any changes (like blood present). If she is really thin, she may be a bit anorexic. It's good that she is drinking water. Hopefully she's just taking in her surroundings.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sigh.....

BUT:

Do you know what she was being fed before?

While I do realize that chickens aren't normally "picky" eaters, she may find your wholesome offerings a little bizarre if all she was getting before were scratch grains.

Birds can be severe creatures of habit.

I have no idea - nor did my neighbor (I asked) - what she was eating.
    I did mix some of the layer pellets with water to make a mash.
    She is interested in the egg (yup - shell & all) but maybe found the yogurt or oatmeal off-putting?

JB: you are possibly a worse chicken-spoiler than I am!
    We just had a lot of rain so maybe some earthworms du jour?
    My flock was pulling them up like crazy yesterday.
    I know a steady diet of worms is not good, but this was like popcorn at the movies.

Her poop was a little messy - stuck to tailfeathers - yesterday, but I cleaned her up last night and this morning there were normal (if small) poops in her crate and nothing on her vent.

She did eat up the egg/oatmeal/yogurt from yesterday morning so maybe just too much distraction for her to eat being outside.
    When I get home I'll see if she ate & drank today.

Finzean:
    I Googled and she is not patterned like a Sussex - drat!
    In fact I couldn't find anything that looked like her.
    Tried Ameraucana, Cuckoo Maran & red/black mottled chicken.
    No penciling or lacing - just mixed rust & black feathers.
    She has a good-sized comb with distinct whaddyacallem "points"

Anyone?
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

While a photo would help, there are a lot of chicken breeds where the hens are a mix of rust & black. And she could easily just be a mix.

Did you say you trimmed her beak? That's not something chickens need. They are not like parrots who do grow beak and sometimes need trimming. Maybe she is sore now.
    Last edited by dacasodivine; Apr. 15, 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: left out important word.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Did you say you trimmed her beak? That's something chickens need. They are not like parrots who do grow beak and sometimes need trimming. Maybe she is sore now.
    Oh goodness, that's right!! I forgot that the OP mentioned that she had trimmed the bird's beak.

Just like with with any animal claw, & even moreso, the beak does have some sensitive tissue. In addition, if she was used to eating with her normal beak conformation, you clipping it most likely made eating an entirely new problem for her. I have a feeling that, unless she's ill, that this is where your eating problem is coming from. Thanks dacasodivine!

Did you say you trimmed her beak? That's something chickens need. They are not like parrots who do grow beak and sometimes need trimming. Maybe she is sore now.
    Oh goodness, that's right!! I forgot that the OP mentioned that she had trimmed the bird's beak.

Just like with with any animal claw, & even moreso, the beak does have some sensitive tissue. In addition, if she was used to eating with her normal beak conformation, you clipping it most likely made eating an entirely new problem for her. I have a feeling that, unless she's ill, that this is where your eating problem is coming from. Thanks dacasodivine!

Give the new hen some pieces of bread. It's soft, and if her beak is sore, she might eat it. I've never seen a chicken reject bread.

And "scratch" feed. All chickens love that old stuff which has been around forever.

dacas & bacardi:
    Neighbor told me he had already trimmed some of her beak - from what he described top was crossing over the bottom.
    If it had been like that for any time it would help explain her weight - if she couldn't eat, how could she keep weight on?
    D'OH! Stooopid humans who let her get like that

Her claws were godawful long - the one toe has straightened up considerably since I trmmed her, the other crooked toe may take longer or never be completely right.

I just took a smidge off the tip of her upper beak to even up top & bottom - top may still be a tid too long, but she was able to eat some so I left her with that.
    I didn't take into account she may have already been sore from the first trimming - poor little girl .

ETA: tidywabbit: good idea!
    She was going for the BOSS treat I use as scratch - like raisins, BOSS is Chicken Crack.
    I'll try some of the 7-grain bread I just bought for myself.
    Nothing is too good for my girls!
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

You may have to keep an eye on her, since beak occlusions can be recurrent in individuals, but hopefully being in a much better environment may get rid of that problem permanently. Poor thing. And lucky thing to have ended up with YOU!

Ah, she has crossed beak. That probably is giving her problem eating. I had a chick once that with that. By the time he was just a couple weeks old, it was so bad he couldn't eat. I had to euthanize him.

At her age, it shouldn't get worse. Trimming might help. You might have to play around with different foods to see what she can eat.

Don't trim too much. Chickens beaks don't grow back.

Yikes!
    Dacasodivine - I did not know beaks do not grow back!

Glad I erred on the side of leaving it a bit long.

I'll play around with seeing what she eats easiest/best and feed her apart from the others if I have to (won't that be fun.... )

My other hens will not eat layer crumbles so that may work for her if I leave a dish of crumbles out along with the regular feeder of pellets.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Ah, she has crossed beak. That probably is giving her problem eating. I had a chick once that with that. By the time he was just a couple weeks old, it was so bad he couldn't eat. I had to euthanize him.

At her age, it shouldn't get worse. Trimming might help. You might have to play around with different foods to see what she can eat.

Don't trim too much. Chickens beaks don't grow back.
    "Crossed Beaks" is just the common name for an occlusion, & since the OP said the hen was in good health/weight when she arrived, it apparently hasn't affected her properly eating before this. I don't think there's any need to sound any alarms.

Oh, and chicken beaks definitely DO grow back. Just like hair & fingernails. Not always as attractively depending on how severely they've been trimmed in the past, but they definitely DO grow back. Been there, done that.

(Look it up 2Dogs - chicken beaks DO grow back. )

Bacardi - hen was not in good weight when I got her - which was just this past Saturday.
    She is way too light for her size - she should feel like 3 or 4#, feels more like 2 by my guesstimate.
    She does not seem unhealthy aside from the weight. Feathers are in good shape, full coat, glossy and her eyes are bright.

If she was kept caged like I think - accounting for the overgrown beak & claws - then maybe whatever asshat had her didn't feed enough or didn't notice when the overgrown beak prevented her eating.

Good to know beaks will regrow.
    My hens have never needed trimming, but I guess they scratch around enough to keep their beaks & claws trimmed.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009