The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wild race at Pimlico!

This one is one for the history books.

No having to wince here at least, but sadly horse lost the photo.

That was some riding!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbH3N5VJzBE
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. That was pretty crazy!!!

Props to the jockey for even staying on, let alone getting the horse back into contention enough for a photo finish. And with no stirrups to boot! How much extra ground do you suppose the horse covered with those detours?!?

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Almost don't think he lost that right stirrup, but dropped it to put him back towards the rail!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

I watched that race, couldn't believe my eyes. In the replay looks like he may have gone around the outside of the starting gate!!! Xavier Perez is my new hero.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

I just came here to post that link. I've never seen anything like that!! Talented horse but needs some discipline . Impressed by the jock!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

That's a brilliant ride, Xavier Perez, super hero.

2 members found this post helpful.

Love the announcer - "do you believe in miracles?"

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I just came here to post that link. I've never seen anything like that!! Talented horse but needs some discipline . Impressed by the jock!

Wow! Crazy stuff.

Brisnet: Spicer Cub's wild run at Pimlico goes viral

It did not make SportsCenter's Top 10 plays, but Spicer Cub's eventful trip in Saturday's 11TH race at Pimlico has gone viral and is generating interest outside of horse racing circles.

"It was wild. He didn't give me any warning, especially the second time and went straight for the gate," Perez said. "My life went before my eyes for a few seconds. I was thinking about bailing but saw there was enough space between the gate and the rail to get through, so I grabbed his mane and hoped for the best. Once we cleared the gate he re-broke again and almost won the race. It was really close. In fact, Forest Boyce (who was aboard Turbin) congratulated me after the wire."
    When you see the head-on video in the stretch - thanks CVPeg for the posting! - you have appreciate how freaking scary it was. They went outside of the starting gate parked on the track! Outside of it!

"I grabbed his mane and hoped for the best."

A sentence everyone has used once or twice around horses of every type!

8 members found this post helpful.

Wow, Xavier, Wow.

Even the DRF picked up the story:

“I have watched the replay many times with my fiancĂ© and I still cannot believe what happened. I am grateful to be here,” added Perez, who has been a regular rider in Maryland since September 2011. “The guys in the room were impressed. When I came back to the jocks room it was funny because nothing bad happened but Mary Eppler was apologizing to me, but this is part of the business. I had ridden him three times before and he never did anything like that before. He is a nice, kind horse.”

Eppler reported Sunday afternoon that Spicer Cub “is fine” with no nicks or cuts from his adventure.

Track announcer Dave Rodman, who has been calling races in Maryland since March 1991, said the wild ride involving “X Man” Perez and Spicer Cub was even more bizarre than the 2005 Preakness [with Afleet Alex] ....

“It was probably the wildest race I have ever called,” said Rodman, who managed to keep his composure and describe to his audience how Spicer Cub got back in contention despite his wacky detour."

“It beats the Afleet Alex incident in the 2005 Preakness and tops the guy running on the track. All I could do was keep my eyes on the X-Man and Spicer Cub. I can’t believe he went through that hole between the outer rail and the gate. It was really something else. I really thought he was going to win the race. Xavier did an amazing job. It was certainly a gutsy ride.”

Veeeeery impressive!

I would dust off the old cage bit and put a run out blinker on the left along with a shadow roll. Then close my eyes until it was over!

2 members found this post helpful.

So will Spicer Cub go on the stewards list for that trip? Wonder what set him off? My first thought the first one was that he got far enough in front that his mind started worrying over God knows what. But the second one happened when he had horses right there with him. Also, he was fine around the first turn, but not the second one. I was thinking maybe something looked different to him on that turn, maybe from the angle of the sun, or something physical was starting to kick in. Pretty erratic behavior.

"Once we cleared the gate he re-broke again"

Two races in one, LOL.
    I am glad no-one was hurt.
    And that was an amazing sidepass at the gallop.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Default Shying at Shadows?

Maybe the second time he bolted, was he shying from the shadow across the track? (Did it look like a big hole to him?)

Quote Originally Posted by Maythehorsebewithme View Post
    Maybe the second time he bolted, was he shying from the shadow across the track? (Did it look like a big hole to him?)
    Yes, definitely looked like shying at the huge shadow from the gate and possibly the first time at a puddle since that was a wet track.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Shadows were my thought as well. I was surprised to learn that he was not a first time starter

Almost 40,000 views on youtube as of Monday morning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Maythehorsebewithme View Post
    Another one of those horse-eating shadows! Watch Xavier's legs on the straight on shot at the point where he is out of the second gate.