The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone use MSM only for joints?

I still want to make my DD's horse comfy but she's not riding as much as she has in the past. One is a OTTB that she's training in Dressage only, the other is her Lower Level eventing horse. She may do a couple events this summer before heading off to college, but nothing too grueling.
    We unfortunately are having to look at cutting some costs now that we are going to pay for college, board going up, and having to pay the lovely IRS a decent chunk of change, among other things. I was wondering if anyone just uses MSM to keep the horses comfy and moving alright? If not, what bare minimum supplements would you suggest...I'm trying to keep the costs under $60/mo for 2 horses if possible.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

If I were just using one supplement, that's the one I would use. It's quite cost effective if you look around. You should be able to get way under that amount.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've got a 17 year old gelding who fractured a navicular at three. He's been mostly sound barefoot but this past fall he started looking gimpy. I'm trying to avoid having to go to shoes with him and put him on MSM and he was much better really quickly. So, his isn't necessarily joint but if there's some inflammation going on, it should help, at least a little.

SmartPak's 1st-level joint supplement is a hair under $20 for the month and you could add the MSM for less than $10. That would put you at your $60 for the month for two horses and give you the basics.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I use MSM only for joints--10,000mg pellets by Smartpak. I have a 10 yr old in moderate to heavy work (jumper) that requires no maintenance, so I felt this was the best way to keep his joints "happy" without unnecessarily spending an arm and a leg. I think the cost is only $12-14/mo. You can get the powder for much cheaper, I just have to get the pelleted form bc my horse was leaving the powder behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.

I do give all of mine 20,000 mg/day of MSM because it certainly can't hurt. The ones being ridden get weekly Pentosan--you could easily do monthly injections for two horses for less than $60/month. Other than Cosequin ASU or Platinum Performace CJ I don't have much faith in oral supplements. Both of these exceed your budget anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

If you did a full dosing of Adequan twice a year, it would end up costing only $50 a month (spreading the cost out over the entire year). Adequan supposedly actually slows the progress of joint damage as well as making the horse feel better.
    Horses generally have trouble absorbing oral joint supplements so an injectable is a better option.

I've done Adequan which helped but yest the costs are a bit much for me at this time. I've had them on Cosequin too, It also did the trick. So I'm cringing at the thought of taking them off it.....I wish I could get Pentosan but our Vet clinic won't write a script for it which is a big bummer since I've read so many good reviews about it and the cost is worth it. I was thinking about doing the MSM, adding whole flax seed for all the benefits it seems to provide, but was wondering what the real results are for inflammation help. Ugh..I hate to do this to them but I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by wishnwell View Post
    I've done Adequan which helped but yest the costs are a bit much for me at this time. I've had them on Cosequin too, It also did the trick. So I'm cringing at the thought of taking them off it.....I wish I could get Pentosan but our Vet clinic won't write a script for it which is a big bummer since I've read so many good reviews about it and the cost is worth it. I was thinking about doing the MSM, adding whole flax seed for all the benefits it seems to provide, but was wondering what the real results are for inflammation help. Ugh..I hate to do this to them but I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the feedback.
    Some don't believe in the liquid joint supplements, but I've seen good results with Corta-Flx HA. There is a generic of it called Flex Force which looks like it isn't really any cheaper-- but the dosage is half of the brand name because it's 2x concentrated. For 2 horses you'd be looking at $30/mo total (one 32oz bottle, roughly, incl. shipping, which goes down if you buy more).

It does contain MSM though not an insanely high amount of it. It also has yucca, etc and I really think it does make my horses feel better. My new horse will get this and 10,000mg of MSM. I think the per-day cost for the one horse is something like less than $1/day, including the "upcharge" for smartpaks for the MSM.

http://www.jefferspet.com/flex-force...qu/cp/0032358/

Be very careful with MSM, it works great for some horses, but do your home work, search here, you will find that it makes some horses very spooky, anxious and even aggressive. I can personally attest to it from experience.

They have been on it, just not alone. But I will keep an eye out. Thanks

Yep, I have all three of mine on it. Only joint supplement I use. Vet recommended it for my filly when she had some epiphysitis and it seems to help my older mare with c-spine arthritis.

Yes, I have a horse I'm fostering for CANTER. I have him just on MSM and it's definitely made him feel/move better. He had more than 60 starts and when I got him he was moving more stiffly. My other horse, also an OTTB is also happier when on MSM, although I also give him Corta-Flx.

One caveat to keep in mind. My vet told me that when fed over time, horses begin to metabolize MSM differently and it loses its efficacy. She recommended cycling them off for a couple of months. I did try that with my own horse and he was noticeably less happy. Not off, but he does better when on it. As a side effect, MSM also seems to improve his hoof quality (better than any of the hoof supplements I tried).
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

i think it really depends on the horse. i put all my horses on msm didnt see any difference in my mare (bad ankles). my older gelding has hock and stifle issues it doesnt make a noticable difference but it does seem to help his breathing (has heaves/allergies) so i keep him on it. my younger gelding is only turning 6, it makes the biggest difference in him, he has horrible stifle, was working very hard and had his stifles and other joints injected many times before i got him at age 4 msm actually makes a noticable difference in his comfort when kept on it. this is the only supplement he is kept on, also gets his stifles injected when needed.

I give my mare only MSM. She has no issues but it is my cheap "prophylaxis" and feels like I am doing something. Since she has no problems, I don't feel like wasting my money on other oral supps (glucosamine, HA, chondroitin) because there isn't much evidence that they work. I guess the same is true of the MSM but is does provide sulfur which is important for glutathione production which is an antioxidant. I have also notcied that since I started her on MSM about 3 years ago, all her small melanomas are very stable and not growing at all. Her biggest one was removed when she was only a 2 y.o.. She is 11 now and has 4 little pencil eraser sized ones which have been very stable (heaven forbid I know what is on the inside).

I have found MSM as cheap as $5/pound although it seems to have taken a price jump in the last year. For a 10 gram dose, a pound should last at least a month for one horse.

Edited to add...I did have one horse that went cuckoo on it. I even challenged her...yep, it was the MSM. The current mare handles it fine.

Susan
    Last edited by Kyrabee; Apr. 14, 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: addition

I switched to straight MSM recently and both horses seem to be doing just fine on it!

I am kind of paranoid about supplements though, and wanted MSM made in the US, which is hard to find. The only one I could locate is the OptiMSM made by HorseTech. It's a little more expensive, but if I am doing my math correctly, the 2 lb container (for $27.95) would be a 45-day supply for two horses. It is a full 10,000 mg serving.

http://horsetech.com/msm.html

I've used it with Omega 3's and it's been keeping my 24 year old OTTB with arthritis pretty much everywhere comfortable for years. In the past I have used overall joint supplements without MSM and I saw no result. The products with the MSM worked well, and so does the MSM alone. Hmmm

I do like to combine it with the omega 3's, works against inflammation for the dogs and myself. It also keeps my gelding looking much better overall with improved hooves, coat, and condition.