The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Del Mar April 25-28 - anyone going?

Is this a huge show? Worth a trip out?
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

not only am I headed out there I am scribing as well.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I wanted to go! I tried so hard to get one or two of my friends together for a girls only trip, but the cost involved made one have a heart attack and the other is too much of a doer herself to be a mere spectator.

And I have accepted a job subbing in that time period, so even if one of them had a change of heart, I couldn't go anyway.
    Sheilah

You get to scribe?? Awesome!!

I'm kicking around the idea of going...would have to get a few things set up on the home front but it is a possibility. Hotels around there are cheap right now, and airfare from here is pretty reasonable as well...
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I went 4-5 yrs ago. Lots of horses, good vendors...had a great time. Sunny & cold. Stayed right across the street, can't remember name of hotel - "big" name though. Great little seafood restaurant on the corner, good early bird dinners/prices.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Is this a huge show? Worth a trip out?
    Del Mar is a good show, not huge, and I'm not sure I'd fly from anywhere to see it though. (Dressage at Devon, yes)
    It's a very quiet show, competition is good, but no social calendar, hence the private parties in the barn area. A few vendors, selling dressage, western and sundry things (western week precedes dressage week).

Legolas is in Europe, and one never knows who will show up for GP Freestyle Saturday night. But buyer beware, sometimes half the class scratches at the last minute. And when that's the main event, with nothing scheduled afterwards, it's a bit of a let down ( especially after one has paid for box seats) . The h/j folk the following week of the Del Mar National have a packed house and live band after their GP night, and everyone parties up at the ring. But nothing for dressage , so it's back to the barn area or hotel bar for a toddy.

Anyway some BNT's will be there, maybe Guenter, Jan Ebeling, Christine Traurig, Sue Blinks....and ?

Right now plans are that Ravel's retirement ceremony will be Saturday night, and that's definitely worth the price of admission.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by CindyB59 View Post
    I went 4-5 yrs ago. Lots of horses, good vendors...had a great time. Sunny & cold. Stayed right across the street, can't remember name of hotel - "big" name though. Great little seafood restaurant on the corner, good early bird dinners/prices.
    Hotel: Hilton
    Restaurant: The Fish Market
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Dressage at Flintridge is always a classy show, with a wine and cheese reception, and a banquet on Saturday night. That's over Memorial Day weekend.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Hotel: Hilton
    Restaurant: The Fish Market
    That's it - thank you!

I have been told entries for Del Mar are quite good this year. Should be a great show
    RoseLane Sportponies - Home of
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- International FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

What Mardi said.

I am definitely going! Im not competing, just watching
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Del Mar is a nice show for So Cal. Fun to compete at, everyone is pretty friendly, the weather is usually good, Mary's Tack and Feed just across the freeway.

I usually get there, it is about 45 minutes from my house. But next weekend I'm going to a clinic. So if you go, have fun without me
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

OK - I may look into this for real...will post if I decide to go. Need to have a few living beings looked after, one of whom talks, so it will be dependent on that.

nwhr, it's not next weekend, but the following weekend...I think I may be going to a clinic (local to me) next weekend too but to audit.

I'd think it sounded like a great idea, except I have rides in a clinic 4 days in a row down here instead.

I want to go sometime, so if it doesn't work for you this year think about me for a future one if you want a travel buddy! It's not too bad a drive, either, if you're sharing gas and depending on flights - having a vehicle to drive can be super convenient and less expensive! I did get a cheap flight out that way a couple years ago, though.

If you go, have fun! And you should go next weekend if it's the clinic I know about.... I decided I wanted one weekend not going somewhere, or I'd be there, too.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Oh, if you wanted (and could!) go, I'd drive - just don't want to drive by myself there and back. There would be fine, but I'm afraid I'd konk out on the drive home! If I don't go this year, let's definitely go next year. I'm kicking around Devon in the fall...what do you think?? I have a friend from college who showed there last year. Wanna go?

I may go to the clinic this weekend...barn buddy is riding in it and I want to support her plus learn so much!!

oh, crap. I missed the deadline for entry here. I can't believe it!!! And I was really hoping to show!!!

can you imagine? We wouldn't even make it out of the trailer

My coach is headed there with a group. I'm not able to make it this year, but have gone in years past and it was a lot of fun! This year they are having Ravel's retirement ceremony...might be worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Oh, if you wanted (and could!) go, I'd drive - just don't want to drive by myself there and back. There would be fine, but I'm afraid I'd konk out on the drive home! If I don't go this year, let's definitely go next year. I'm kicking around Devon in the fall...what do you think?? I have a friend from college who showed there last year. Wanna go?

I may go to the clinic this weekend...barn buddy is riding in it and I want to support her plus learn so much!!
    We should plan on next year. Or something in the fall!

Devon will be more time/$$.... would be great to see, but it's more a "maybe." You should go to the clinic this weekend!

I think going to Ravel's retirement ceremony would be VERY cool. I'm sure we'll get to see videos of it!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

OK, I'm all booked. No ticket to the show yet but will plan to buy one at the door.

Is the general admission/seating ok? Or do I need a grandstand ticket? And if so, anyone have one to sell?

If anyone wants to meet there, send me a PM or post here. I'm excited, although a little somber over the national news over the last few days.