The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses and Animal Rights at the center of the NYC Mayoral Campaign?

In today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/ny...oral-race.html

As has been discussed AT LENGTH on this board, the carriage horses in NYC are HIGHLY regulated and very well cared for (ClipClopNYC attendees can attest to that!). What do you think of this article? Weigh in on the NYTimes comments section!

Unbelievable that this is a major issue in the NYC mayoral campaign. Doesn't the city have some actual problems?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Unbelievable that this is a major issue in the NYC mayoral campaign. Doesn't the city have some actual problems?
    Yeah, just a few!

Nothing new, it's politics, money talks.
    Guess who has made a fortune, who gets millions in donations EVERY YEAR to spend?
    I don't see how the carriage horses have made it this long without being run out of town.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Nothing new, it's politics, money talks.
    Guess who has made a fortune, who gets millions in donations EVERY YEAR to spend?
    I don't see how the carriage horses have made it this long without being run out of town.
    The only reason that the carriage horses haven't been run out of town is that we've been here for 155 years, and the opposition has NO SUBSTANTIVE SUPPORT for their "cruelty" allegations. The horses speak for themselves - and yes, there *is* more support for the industry than I think people realize... ...they just don't comment online.

17 members found this post helpful.

I posted the following comment, it is awaiting moderation:

Wait, is this the same Steve Nislick who stated that he was willing to donate to Quinn if she played by his rules? http://tinyurl.com/blh7ot2

The same Steve Nislick that co-founded NYCLASS with a Ed Sayres, the outgoing president of the ASPCA, with a $450,000 donation from the ASPCA? The same ASPCA that is charged with monitoring the carriage horses, but is against the carriage horses, but can't actually find anything wrong with the carriage horses even though they've tried awfully hard? http://tinyurl.com/dx6kown

The truth is that the New York City carriage horses are some of the most regulated animals in this country. The fact there has never been a citation for mistreatment or cruelty, even with an awful lot of folks looking for it (including the ASPCA which supports a ban), speaks volumes.

But, of course, this isn't about the horses at all. It's all about money and real estate: http://tinyurl.com/ct26eo6
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarnRules View Post
    I posted the following comment, it is awaiting moderation:

Wait, is this the same Steve Nislick who stated that he was willing to donate to Quinn if she played by his rules? http://tinyurl.com/blh7ot2

The same Steve Nislick that co-founded NYCLASS with a Ed Sayres, the outgoing president of the ASPCA, with a $450,000 donation from the ASPCA? The same ASPCA that is charged with monitoring the carriage horses, but is against the carriage horses, but can't actually find anything wrong with the carriage horses even though they've tried awfully hard? http://tinyurl.com/dx6kown

The truth is that the New York City carriage horses are some of the most regulated animals in this country. The fact there has never been a citation for mistreatment or cruelty, even with an awful lot of folks looking for it (including the ASPCA which supports a ban), speaks volumes.

But, of course, this isn't about the horses at all. It's all about money and real estate: http://tinyurl.com/ct26eo6
    Very, very good, concise and clear.
    Ought to get some wheels turning.

At least people will know there is more than some may want the general public to know about this drive to ban the carriage horses and what that is.

4 members found this post helpful.

From the editorial page from yesterday, the same day this article appeared!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/op....html?src=recg

The NY Times is ON THE SCENT!!
    They are FINALLY waking up to the corruption and money-driven motives of our adversaries!

FOLKS - the front page of the NY Times AND the Editorial page, all on one day....this is all at a fever pitch, we NEED YOU NOW!
    We need COMMENTS, please!! Especially at this point, REPLIES to some of the 100+ posts which are already there. Link to the article is in the OP on this thread.
    DON'T FORGET TO "Recommend" all pro-carriage posts!!
    It only takes a minute to register -- THANK YOU
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Apr. 13, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

3 members found this post helpful.

From Bloomberg, that is no surprise.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

OK - I bit.
    WOW really amazing people over there.

I have no dog in this fight and I don't know the key players so take my opinion FWIW.

I fear that if enough people with $$$ get behind the ban, the industry's days are limited. That said I'm a supported and I'll be in NYC this week. I will definitely stop by the hack line and take a ride or at least show my support to the drivers and lovely horses.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I have no dog in this fight and I don't know the key players so take my opinion FWIW.

I fear that if enough people with $$$ get behind the ban, the industry's days are limited. That said I'm a supported and I'll be in NYC this week. I will definitely stop by the hack line and take a ride or at least show my support to the drivers and lovely horses.
    Thank you.

Even if you didn't like the carriage horses, we have to say they are being railroaded from many directions and that, in the land of the free, is just plain WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    OK - I bit.
    WOW really amazing people over there.
    THANK YOU so very much for posting!!

The New York Times, like it or not, is THE mainstream media paper of record -- with the all-important mayoral race looming, and the NYT getting a whiff FINALLY of what Nislick and NYCLASS are really about, THE ONLINE RESPONSE TO THIS FRONT PAGE ARTICLE IS **CRUCIAL**

The folks at the Times will be more inclined to do FURTHER reporting and digging if they see a BIG, INFORMED, and OUTRAGED response by pro-carriage folks. We were TOLD this by a NYT reporter.

Right now, if you click on "Readers' Picks" to sort the comments by popularity, the top comments are ALL anti-carriage. How can we possibly allow them to be more motivated than we are??

We really need every COTHer who supports us to click the link and register, so that you can comment and 'Recommend' posts, and then do just that.

PLEASE - this is crunch time, we CANNOT allow the lies and propaganda to go unchallenged!!!

Many, many thanx.

Happy to help!!
    Reading some of the comments is really entertaining.
    Last edited by JGHIRETIRE; Apr. 14, 2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: edited to add.......

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post

Thank you so very much for the support If you are taking a daytime ride, ask for Stephen Malone (prez of our association) or Christina Hansen (COTHer and our PR person), Paul McDaid, Brendan Fearon, Conor McHugh, Tommy Hennessey, or Luiz Pinto, and tell them Eva sent you

As for fearing for our industry, it needs to be repeated that it is not just NYC carriage horses at stake here; the precedent set by the enactment of a law which effectively SEIZES privately-owned horses will reverb across the country.

They CANNOT and WILL NOT win -- with YOUR help.

The comment section for the article has been closed - thank you to all that posted!
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

It's sad to sort the comments by NYT picks -- a lot of really ignorant comments land at the top. The grey lady would seem to be among the sort of "animal lovers" who really don't have a clue about animals.