The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face We brought home a new friend! Meet Floyd kitty

This will be brief as today is hubby's birthday and we're about to go out to celebrate, but wanted to share we adopted a new kitty (after losing our old one last August, and our dog a month ago ) last weekend.

Meet Floyd! He's an-approximately 4yro male kitty brought in as a stray to a local shelter back in February.

Description from the shelter's FB page:
    "A4548144 Floyd is a sensational black four year old male domestic shorthaired cat who was found in Covina on February 28th and brought to the Baldwin Park Animal Care Center. Weighing eight pounds Floyd displays the personality of a gentle giant. He is exceedingly calm and no one has heard a meow out of him since he’s been at the shelter. When approached he gladly welcomes pets and cuddles from the staff. Floyd will make an excellent lap companion for anyone in any indoor living situation."

His adoption info from PetSmart.

A local rescue took him in and got him medical care, and then had him at PetSmart for their adoption weekend. We visited him one weekend, and my boys loooooved him so. When I picked him up and he looked up at me and purred, my eyes filled with tears. He was Our Kitty. But, hubby wasn't ready just yet. We went back the following weekend to re-visit Floyd, hubby and the 3yro son with us this time, and that was it. Hubby wanted Floyd.

He looks very much like our old kitty Inigo, except about half the size. Heh.

When he head-butted and rubbed against BOTH my nutty boys, I knew he was right for us.

I headbutt you...

...I headbutt you...

...and I headbutt you.

He is still isolated from crazy cranky no-touch kitty, but they are aware of each other. We're working on easing them into each other.

My 3yro summed it up the other day: "Our new kitty, he loves me!"
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

1 members found this post helpful.

I have to say, he looked a little cray cray in that first pic but the others made up for it.

Good on you for taking an older guy. He's really pretty. That one white whisker reminded me of my old cat, Merlin. As he got older, he started growing a white whisker. I thought it was an old age thing since I am now growing a couple of white eye lashes. LOL! Four is too young for that, though, so I guess it's just a thing that happens.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Awww, adorable pictures. Congratulations!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

You are going to have such a happy life together, with Floyd as part of the family.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Congrats! What a lucky kitty!!!!!

Awww, CONGRATULATIONS! Floyd sounds so sweet and a perfect addition to your family. A match made in heaven!

May you all have a wonderful life together.

Yeah! You went back & got him!!! Congrats Floyd - you just hit the kitty jackpot! May you have many wonderful years together. Your son looks so happy

This makes me smile. Good on you, and may the intro go smoothly with No-Touch Kitty!
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

More good news from the Lauruffian house! ( I swear, I always get excited when you post, 'cuz there's bound to be adorable little boys + animals = cute overload!) Hooray for Floyd! I love boy kitties, they are the best.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

How sweet for you & how great for "Floyd".

We too had a cat named "Floyd". "Pretty Boy Floyd" due to his black-&-white long-haired good looks & his gangster personality. Some idiot folks deserted not only their NY rental, but their entire menagerie as well, & no one wanted to take in the cat. So thru a friend of a friend. . . . Our Floyd lived a long happy life, despite being diabetic & requiring daily insulin injections. Small price to pay.

I'm sure your Floyd will be just as much fun & love for you as ours was for us.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

YAY! Glad you found one & your boys look thrilled with the new addition :-D. And thank you for adopting a black cat!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm glad you went back for him! Congratulations on your new best friend.

StG

More congratulations! What a love!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

See? You had a Floyd-shaped hole in your life.

So pleased to see some cat and boy love... that's a recipe for raising a good man. And how nice for a young tyke to learn that cats come in better varieties than the No-Touch kind.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely seeing signs of his stray cat past. He is just the sweetest thing, but he is frightened to the point of running away of tall things--like, us when we're standing up--or if we're carrying something. Yesterday he was on the sofa with me, and I picked up my laptop and moved it and happened to pass it over him when I did. He ran off. He hides behind the sofa and comes out when it's quiet, and then it's purr purr purr, cuddle cuddle cuddle, rub rub rub. But if I stand up? Run away and hide.

He comes out if we're on the floor with him, but not if we're standing or walking around looking for him. Unfortunately the 3yro is all loud, all the time, and for now Floyd is hiding from him. I'm doing things like putting Floyd in the 7yro's room and shutting the door. Floyd hides, but the 7yro plays quietly. The plan is eventually Floyd will come out with him, too.

No Touch kitty remains completely separated. I don't mind taking my time on this. I do put their food dishes on either side of the same door so they hear and smell each other (and associate it with something pleasant), and at night we leave the door open an inch so they can see and smell but not do each other harm. That's the continued plan for the next week or so.

Right now, I'm a bit bummed Floyd comes out for hubby and I--but not the boys. It'll come, I know. Maybe it'll come with time? And maybe he's been spooked by No Touch kitty, knowing she's Out There? (If completely separated.)
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I have a feral that I trapped as a kitten along with three of his brothers that is the same way. He's fine with me if I'm in bed, on the toilet () or feeding him. Sometimes, I'm ok if I'm sitting at the kitchen table; otherwise, I'm the devil in his eyes. I'm not sure if my SO has even seen him since we trapped him four years ago. Cat is skittish to say the least and, sadly, I don't see that changing.

Your kitty may not change. I don't think mine will but I'm going to enjoy what he offers and not push him too much. Lucky for you, your three year old might grow out of his loud stage. Letting him learn how to deal with a spooky critter might teach him a whole lot.

My kitty hurts my feelings sometimes but he's just protecting himself the only way he knows.

Good luck! He'll probably come around but until then, enjoy what he gives you.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Floyd's pictures brought a huge smile to my face! Give him time to deal with things his way - this is all new to him!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

When we got our stray kitty, she hid behind the bookshelf the first day or 2. Because she was "mine" (Birthday present) my parents decided my room would become her safe haven, so she slept in there, etc. I think because of that I've always been her "person". Even when I went away to college she'd still come to me, though she did attach herself to my mom too. She did come out of her shell, but never liked really loud/sudden noises or movements and would avoid the family room if there was a lot of activity. If we were all fairly quiet she would come out & ask for attention, but a lot of sudden movement/noise - nope. I think with Floyd as he gets more used to you guys and your 3 y/o learns how to move and otherwise behave around him he will get better. Hopefully you can encourage 7 y/o to set an example. Good luck!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Your story about adopting Floyd makes me smile. Adult short haired black cats can have a tough go getting a home.

I think if you give him time he will get over, at least mostly, his fear of things towering/passing over him. It seems to be very common, especially in cats who may not have been entirely socialized as very young kittens. I rescued a kitten over Christmas who has an injured eye and was very sick. She had been found in a feral colony. She had to have tons of handling, as the eye was removed, requiring meds, lots of food, etc. She got to be fine with me, but my sister, who adopted her, still has to prove herself. It is coming along fine, and the cat is totally worth it, but trust is earned and she still can't consistently walk up and pick her up while standing over her.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Yay for Floyd! He's a pretty boy!

Do the standing thing in stages. It also helps to have treats handy to get them in the mind set of "human standing up ain't bad" -- hot dogs or lunch meat work great for this. You can give them a little nibble of the meat, but then retract it back and let them lick the juice. It'll keep them interested for longer. Start out lying down, then sitting, then squatting, then standing but bending over, etc, till you're fully standing up over them. Then try it walking to and away from them (helps if they know you have the treat).

Most of them get that you're not going to cause them harm and will only act scared if you're carrying something large and unwieldy or the cat carrier.