The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your take on the euro-carousel-style walkers?

Because I am lazy, and because all my horses are fat, and because I suspect that it might aid in conditioning my pasture-puff endurance prospect, and because I don't have grooms to do the work for me, I'm thinking of making my acres even more dreadful by the addition of one of these merry-go-round things. Anybody care to talk me into or out of it?

Naturally I'm wondering if the less expensive Centaur would suffice, or if the only thing that won't cripple Dobbin is one of those Taj Mahal-esque oval German models.

Not that I would ever consider anything so absurd, but have you seen the one Kraft makes where the horses have to slog through 3 feet of water? They wear diapers and are attended by grooms in waders. Gag, that water looks nasty, man.

I'll say this: when I boarded my portly hunter at the fancy barn, she got an hour a day in a ceiling-suspended Kraft (the waterless kind), and has never looked better.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

2 members found this post helpful.

I think you should get that to go with your cathedral-barn in which you have hung snakes.

Clearly, you worship false idols (pissing off Francis Bacon and other Christian theologians) so what's to stop you from getting this contraption?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

I boarded at a barn last year that had a Kraft walker and I looooooved it. It's on the list of things to buy when we get our own place. It was AWESOME. The barn was an endurance barn and they used it extensively to help fit up unfit horses and maintain their fit horses. I used it to strengthen a slipping stifle (vet recommendation) and it was also great for their feet, as it was gravel based.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love them. Almost every racetrack has one, we refer to them as "wheels". Honestly they don't look like they would be that tough to build. I'm sure they are expensive, but they really shouldn't be. Make sure and maintain the footing in them, whether you have to rake it manually or whatever.

I don't understand these show horse people that only use them for walking... But to each his own I guess.

If you do install one, please post pictures!

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I think you should get that to go with your cathedral-barn in which you have hung snakes.

Clearly, you worship false idols (pissing off Francis Bacon and other Christian theologians) so what's to stop you from getting this contraption?
    Tell me more, MVP! I am unaware that I have been either worshiping anything or pissing off anyone. But if I've inadvertently crabbed out a Christian theologian or two, I must be doin' something right! However, I must know: from which of Bacon's Idols do you suspect me to particularly suffer? Possibly specus, wherein my ability to discern Truth and Beauty is corrupted by the prejudices wrought by my flawed personality? That one's my favorite.

Be that as it may, I can't say that I grasp entirely the relevance of Baconianism to my original question. As I have mentioned more than once, I am a moron. Moronity is not specifically an Idol, but perhaps it should be.

9 members found this post helpful.

Were the blue diapers on that video put on the wrong way? Seems to me the pouch should be facing the horse to catch the poo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Were the blue diapers on that video put on the wrong way? Seems to me the pouch should be facing the horse to catch the poo.

didn't even catch that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

A vet tech here started her own rehab and conditioning barn with an underwater treadmill and is working wonderfully, many are using it for all and any reason and say the horses really do well in there.

Have you ever looked into the Paddock Paradise concept? I have one on a very small acreage and the horses self-exercise on it. In the square paddock they mostly sit there twiddling their thumbs and eating. On the track they go back and forth and back and forth, at the walk, trot and even canter.
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    They put the diapers on the same way on each horse - I would think they know what they are doing. And at the end of the video, you can see where one caught the poo quite nicely.

Love walkers, but that Pasture Paradise system looks so cool. How many acres Bearcat and how many horses? I would love to have about 8 of those set ups. OP, maybe you could do a walker AND set up a Pasture Paradise system? Pearl would fit up twice as fast!

My horses are at a farm now that has a hotwalker (just the mundane rusty redneck kind). I am now addicted to it. When I am on multi-day travel for work, when I was out for surgery, or all those other things that come up, they can just slap competition horse on the hotwalker, he gets to use some energy and hold his muscle tone for much longer. I have them just put it on a medium for his long strided walk for an hour or two. They won't build new muscle, but it will help with cardio and keeping what they have.

Comments:
    1. Those poo-catchers were cool but I should have expected the Teutonic fascination with product.

2. That water walker will mystify archaeologists of the future.

3. And the water walker seems to be overkill to exercise a horse with no apparent economy of your effort. Wouldn't it be much easier and cheaper to get a Raoul to work with your horses (and lift stuff and fix stuff)? I do see the bonus of getting clean hooves. Anothveer great way to exercise is by driving. Does that appeal to you?

It depends -- does Raoul have beautiful arms and is he silent?

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Have you ever looked into the Paddock Paradise concept? I have one on a very small acreage and the horses self-exercise on it. In the square paddock they mostly sit there twiddling their thumbs and eating. On the track they go back and forth and back and forth, at the walk, trot and even canter.
    Oddly enough, I have looked into it. I even have a book on it (which is difficult to read on accounta the horrible scripty font). It's intriguing, but my reluctance to implement the scheme lies in all the extra fencing, coupled with a gnawing suspicion that my horses would turn out to be the kind that didn't utilize the facilities correctly. For example, it is suggested that the "track" be at most 15 feet wide. With this set-up, I foresee a situation where my boss mare forbids the rest of the herd from passing to the next hay pile; she has a pretty wide bubble, and will kick their ass if they encroach 15 feet into her personal space. But perhaps this is another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Oddly enough, I have looked into it. I even have a book on it (which is difficult to read on accounta the horrible scripty font). It's intriguing, but my reluctance to implement the scheme lies in all the extra fencing, coupled with a gnawing suspicion that my horses would turn out to be the kind that didn't utilize the facilities correctly. For example, it is suggested that the "track" be at most 15 feet wide. With this set-up, I foresee a situation where my boss mare forbids the rest of the herd from passing to the next hay pile; she has a pretty wide bubble, and will kick their ass if they encroach 15 feet into her personal space. But perhaps this is another thread.
    I have thought the same, not good to have more than two or three horses that get along very good in a tight spot, not without sooner or later having injuries and broken fences.

We have always let our horses go around and around thru many pens, the same principle, but opened gates so one would not be cornered anywhere and that has worked well for us, we don't have any bent pipes or pushed over panels anywhere.
    Our vet has something similar, only lets weanlings/yearlings, that are not hard on each other when very young, in places like alleys.
    More than a couple of adults are kept walking around the arena and the bigger pens and short runs with several handy exits.

Many here use plain, larger race track type walkers to park horses to clean stalls, to teach them patience, to exercise after injuries and of course, for regular warmup and exercise.
    With those, that have long arms, the circle is large enough that horses are not walking in a too narrow spot long.
    May want to look into that.
    Other than the benefit of the water resistance itself, a regular walker will do just most of what those Eurozisers do.

The ones using the underwater treadmill have found just a few minutes can get a horse sore, so be careful with water resistance exercises.

Bluey, just to clarify, I wasn't even contemplating the water walkers; I was more curious about the land-based variety where the stalls move around (as opposed to the traditional kind you tie the horse to). Supposedly they are safer than traditional hot walkers, although this may just be marketing. I posted that aquacizer video merely to marvel at the level of effort required.

We had one of those "rusty redneck" walkers when I was a kid. Inevitably there'd be a troublemaker who would just stop walking and the whole exercise would grind to a halt. My hay guy, who still uses a traditional model, says he shoots BBs at the stopped horses. I'm like "WTF!", but he's, you know, a roper.

4 members found this post helpful.

I live around ropers and barrel racers, so I know what you mean.

Don't dismiss them off hand, they really, in their own way, take excellent care of their horses.
    The better ones and the rest are learning fast from them, after being beaten by those, are the ones that have the horse at the vet, chiro, massage, water therapy, light therapy, any and all that comes out.
    Nothing is good enough for their competition horses, to the nth degree.
    Look at their magazines, they don't have anything on Dressage magazine, every little warmup and move training and competing is dissected and better ways thought off, some horses are "free runners", some "rate", some this or that and what to do to condition, train and compete those properly.
    They are as good a "leg man" as the best at the track any more.
    Not even talking about bloodlines and how they cross and which one gets along best with.

Then, they pull some like the BB to get a horse moving on the walker on you.

As for those exercisers, I have been watching the ads for long now, but would not know what is best, never having used them.

1 members found this post helpful.

maybe I'm just weird, but I always thought the purpose in owning a horse was to enjoy riding/driving it yourself. Then there's the other problem- if you "fit up" your horse by machine or hired hand, you won't be fit enough to ride the horse yourself.
    I do like the "pasture paradise" idea, since I think most horses, even those that are exercised hard, would benefit from walking a lot in between formal exercise periods.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    We had one of those "rusty redneck" walkers when I was a kid. Inevitably there'd be a troublemaker who would just stop walking and the whole exercise would grind to a halt. My hay guy, who still uses a traditional model, says he shoots BBs at the stopped horses. I'm like "WTF!", but he's, you know, a roper.
    The Kraft walker that the barn I was at had juice. You could turn on the hot pack and if a horse stopped in the stall while the walker was running, it got zapped. Only happened once or twice before a horse got the picture.

I was really impressed with how quickly and easily horses figured out the process. My OTTBs had absolutely zero learning curve (as I'd expect, given that they'd both lived on a regular walker during the racing days) but my unbroke 2 yo also went in, looked around and walked and trotted like she'd done it her whole life as well. There was zero "training" required--put the horse on, and it knew what to do.

The walker could be set to walk, or to walk and trot, or to only trot (presumably even to canter, although I never took it that fast) and would change direction on it's own. You set the pace and the range of where you could take it was really broad.

It was really a slick piece of equipment. When I spoke with the barn owner about the specific brand (I'd never heard of Kraft) she said she went with that one because the Eurocizer walkers she'd seen just didn't hold up at all. The Kraft walker was very sturdy and well made.

I have no clue how much they cost, since we're no where near buying one, but I'd love to hear ballpark if anyone knows what that figure is!