The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default Saddle for a Friesian

    Yes, another saddle thread! I'm curious about saddle brands that would fit a wide and flat-backed, with a little bit of mutton withers, Friesian (I have conformation shots if you're curious). My current saddle is an older, lovely Kieffer Aachen, and just putting it on the Friesian's back makes me think it's not going to happen. I'm not very educated on saddle fit but you just know when it doesn't look right.

    I'm fortunate enough to be close to Pelham Saddlery, and Trumball Mountain is a few hours away, and the Kieffer is in nice enough condition that I could probably trade it in and knock some money off another saddle that will fit. What do you recommend, COTH? Would an extra-wide Niedersuss work? I have a short leg, so a shorter flap would be ideal.

    Thanks in advance.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Yes, another saddle thread! I'm curious about saddle brands that would fit a wide and flat-backed, with a little bit of mutton withers, Friesian (I have conformation shots if you're curious).
    Definitely post the conformation shots

    Depending how flat backed is a significant factor; also post your budget - you're likely going to want a "cob tree" or "hoop tree" or "U-shaped tree" ...

    You might look at the Kent & Masters, Tekna, Duett, Smith Worthington has some on great buy (they will adjust the tree to fit based upon tracings) & always has demos to try.

    Forum searches (choose "posts") will provide some background & opinions on these saddles (the SW not so much, they make some lovely saddles but don't seem to generate as much "talk").

    ETA some comments in this topic about the K&M's
    Last edited by alto; Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Here's a full side view: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...20535712_n.jpg

    And a 3/4 view: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...70472159_n.jpg

    Next time I'm at the barn, I will get some shots of his back from behind for width.

    Pardon the cell phone photos! Ideally, I'd like to spend around $1000 total (so I'm definitely looking more towards used than new), and if I could get $500 for my trade-in and maybe only pay $500 out of pocket that would be great. If it's the right saddle I'd go higher; Dressage Extensions has Niedersuss saddles for $1795, they come in extra-wide and short flaps (plus go up to an 18.5" seat), but if they are made on the wrong tree then there's no point in spending that amount of money. So, there is some flexibility money-wise.

    I'd need at least an 18" seat, but maybe bigger depending on how deep it is; I'm leaning more towards a deep seat so I can have the saddle help me be able to sit that giant trot of his, so we can eventually make the jump to 2nd.

    And thank you for the tip on forum searches; I've been having a really difficult time finding anything here since the new upgrade!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2004
    Location
    Sandgate, VT
    Posts
    942

    Default

    If your horse needs a hoop tree, something like a Lovatt and Ricketts Ellipse or perhaps the Concord might work. Another possibility would be an Eloquence X with a K panel, or the Loxley dressage on the hoop tree, again with a K-type panel. If the hoop tree isn't necessary, a Frank Baines Reflex or Albion SL might work.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post

    Ideally, I'd like to spend around $1000 total (so I'm definitely looking more towards used than new), and if I could get $500 for my trade-in and maybe only pay $500 out of pocket that would be great. If it's the right saddle I'd go higher; Dressage Extensions has Niedersuss saddles for $1795, they come in extra-wide and short flaps (plus go up to an 18.5" seat), but if they are made on the wrong tree then there's no point in spending that amount of money. So, there is some flexibility money-wise.

    I'd need at least an 18" seat, but maybe bigger depending on how deep it is; I'm leaning more towards a deep seat so I can have the saddle help me be able to sit that giant trot of his, so we can eventually make the jump to 2nd.
    I'd really talk to SW about options - they are more likely to be able to accommodate than shops that are not involved with manufacture.

    I suspect you'll be more able to sell your saddle wherever rather than getting good trade in value on it (unless shop is confident they have a solid market for that particular saddle).

    Are there any saddle fitters that come through your area? (just confirm that they have saddles for you to try that will fit you AND your horse)



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2004
    Location
    Sandgate, VT
    Posts
    942

    Default

    A used Duett Fidelio could be had quite easily for around that price, and would likely fit quite well. Duett Largo would be another to consider, esp. if your horse's back comes up a lot during work.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'd really talk to SW about options - they are more likely to be able to accommodate than shops that are not involved with manufacture.

    I suspect you'll be more able to sell your saddle wherever rather than getting good trade in value on it (unless shop is confident they have a solid market for that particular saddle).

    Are there any saddle fitters that come through your area? (just confirm that they have saddles for you to try that will fit you AND your horse)
    This is my current saddle, it's in really good condition besides the usual wear from leathers and boots: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...17909364_n.jpg

    I had tried to sell it through a local Facebook group but didn't have any bites.

    There are quite a few saddle fitters that come through--I'm really lucky to be in the area I'm in for that. Off the top of my head, there's Dr. Steven Katz, Colin Kimball Davis, Tony Cooper, Karen from The Refined Equine...so, so many. Not all of them are saddle reps, some just work with the saddle you've got. For reference, Mr. Friesian is located in Lakeville, MA.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec. 3, 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    I had the same problem w/ my super wide flat, backed ASB. What really worked well for him is a Barnsby Luxus Extra Wide 36cm, wool flocked so easy to re-do. They are a very nice saddle and they sometimes come up used
    in the general price range you want.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    918

    Default

    My BO rides her Friesian in the widest off the shelf Niedersuss. She also used to have a Freeso (? spelling), the brand that is somewhat marketed for Friesians. That fit her horses as well, but she found she didn't like the way it fit her.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,396

    Default

    Please allow me to go off on a tangent and say Holy Wow what a beautiful horse!

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Hmm, i think the solar flare is being naughty to the Internet, I didn't see Kitt's responses until just now (and was hoping she'd chime in!).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    If your horse needs a hoop tree, something like a Lovatt and Ricketts Ellipse or perhaps the Concord might work. Another possibility would be an Eloquence X with a K panel, or the Loxley dressage on the hoop tree, again with a K-type panel. If the hoop tree isn't necessary, a Frank Baines Reflex or Albion SL might work.
    How can I tell if he needs a hoop tree vs. another type of tree? is it possible to tell just from photos, or do I need to take some tracings and send them out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    A used Duett Fidelio could be had quite easily for around that price, and would likely fit quite well. Duett Largo would be another to consider, esp. if your horse's back comes up a lot during work.
    He looks "soft" in the back in his conformation shot, but he does lift and really push from beneath when we work. Despite how long he is, he's pretty easy to put together and keep connected from back to front. Looking at your site, Kitt, it seems you've got 3 saddles that could work in the used section...I think we need to talk more in depth soon!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marla 100 View Post
    I had the same problem w/ my super wide flat, backed ASB. What really worked well for him is a Barnsby Luxus Extra Wide 36cm, wool flocked so easy to re-do. They are a very nice saddle and they sometimes come up used in the general price range you want.
    I will take a look into that saddle, thanks for the tip!

    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    My BO rides her Friesian in the widest off the shelf Niedersuss. She also used to have a Freeso (? spelling), the brand that is somewhat marketed for Friesians. That fit her horses as well, but she found she didn't like the way it fit her.
    I love Niedersuss, so I would certainly be interested in going that route. Do you know what model it is? Dressage Extensions has the Symphony at $1795, and an extra-wide in a 17.5" seat. I'd probably feel better in the 18.5". Last time I sat in one was a 17.5" or 17.75" seat, but it's a more open seat so I could get away with the smaller size.

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Please allow me to go off on a tangent and say Holy Wow what a beautiful horse!

    Paula
    Thank you, Paula! I am very, very lucky to be able to lease him. He's a lovely example of the breed and was quite the hot stuff in Holland! I'm not a big Friesian fan but all it took was one ride (and I didn't even ride him that well that first time!) to fall in love with him. I had to take a break for a few months and it made me realize how much of a butt-whoopin' riding him was--I'm flabby and icky now! Won't take long to get back into shape, though. I'll let him know you complimented him!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 9, 2008
    Location
    north of the Arctic Circle
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Diane Williams is a fantastic local saddle fitter who is also a dressage rider and friesian owner. I'll PM you her contact info...
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

    Trolls be trollin'! -DH



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2009
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Niedersuss--I think it was the "standard" model Symphonie.

    County saddles are good for them as well!
    I LOVE my Chickens!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    Diane Williams is a fantastic local saddle fitter who is also a dressage rider and friesian owner. I'll PM you her contact info...
    Thank you, Cat! I'm going to respond to your PM now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Niedersuss--I think it was the "standard" model Symphonie.

    County saddles are good for them as well!
    Good to know! I love the Symphonie saddles. I should try and sit in one soon before I jump in on buying a new one, though.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post

    I love Niedersuss, so I would certainly be interested in going that route. Do you know what model it is? Dressage Extensions has the Symphony at $1795, and an extra-wide in a 17.5" seat. I'd probably feel better in the 18.5". Last time I sat in one was a 17.5" or 17.75" seat, but it's a more open seat so I could get away with the smaller size.
    Pretty sure it is the Symphonie, but I'll check on Wednesday when I go to the barn. I know it didn't work for me because the twist was too wide, but it's a lovely saddle, and I like the more open seat.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post

    I love Niedersuss, so I would certainly be interested in going that route. Do you know what model it is? Dressage Extensions has the Symphony at $1795, and an extra-wide in a 17.5" seat. I'd probably feel better in the 18.5". Last time I sat in one was a 17.5" or 17.75" seat, but it's a more open seat so I could get away with the smaller size.
    Pretty sure it is the Symphonie, but I'll check on Wednesday when I go to the barn. I know it didn't work for me because the twist was too wide, but it's a lovely saddle, and I like the more open seat.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    Pretty sure it is the Symphonie, but I'll check on Wednesday when I go to the barn. I know it didn't work for me because the twist was too wide, but it's a lovely saddle, and I like the more open seat.
    That would be fantastic! If you could let me know the tree width too that would be awesome!
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2007
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    My BO rides her Friesian in the widest off the shelf Niedersuss. She also used to have a Freeso (? spelling), the brand that is somewhat marketed for Friesians. That fit her horses as well, but she found she didn't like the way it fit her.
    The saddle you were thinking of is a "Fryso".

    http://www.frysodressagesaddle.com/a...fryso-saddles/

    You might be able to find a used one out there somewhere. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything too.
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    The saddle you were thinking of is a "Fryso".

    http://www.frysodressagesaddle.com/a...fryso-saddles/

    You might be able to find a used one out there somewhere. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything too.
    Thank you so much! I prefer a narrower twist on my saddles, despite having wide hips, a wider twist feels like they're getting pulled apart. I can't tell the twist of the Frysos but they are lovely looking saddles.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014



Similar Threads

  1. New Friesian/Friesian Cross Classifieds Website
    By JSWiley in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 28, 2011, 09:36 AM
  2. Friesian Peeps- body clipping a friesian!!!
    By BetterOffRed in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar. 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
  3. New Friesian & Friesian Cross Classifieds Site
    By JSWiley in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 2, 2010, 02:05 PM
  4. Friesian
    By LaraNSpeedy in forum Dressage
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May. 29, 2010, 02:59 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan. 26, 2009, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness