The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show coats for short people?

I need a new show coat. I'm 5'3, so I'm short. I do jumpers, so I'd prefer it to be the 4 button jackets. I have an rj classics coat now, and it's in short, but it's in bad shape. Is the Grand Prix rylie jacket good? Thanks

I think it depends a lot on your build in addition to your height. I'm not quite 5'2'' and none of the RJ coats fit me well; they're all too boxy. But, with that being said, I have a very short torso compared to my legs and I'm very slim. All of my coats are GP ones; nothing else fits me right.

If your RJ fits you really well, I'm not sure that a Grand Prix coat would fit you the same way.

I'm 5'1" and very slim, I have a GP jacket that flits pretty well. I had to have the sleeves shortened a bit but it fits better than any other jacket I've tried on. My legs and torso are fairly well proportioned, neither one being much shorter or longer than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I think it depends a lot on your build in addition to your height.
    Agreed! I'm about the same height as supershorty and I have had great look with RJ jackets...But I am kind of busty. I had a 2 short that worked really well for me or a regular 0.

The Grand Prix Rylie hunt coat is a great choice. This hunt coat is shorter in the body and sleek. The four button/zipper combo further flatters this coat. Just make sure it fits but is not too tight. It is ideal for someone with a shorter torso. We do also carry the similar RJ Classics crossover coat. This coat is a bit longer in the body but is not boxy at all. For someone with a shorter torso, Grand Prix would be my recommendation. Just remember the sizing is much different. An 8 in Grand Prix would be a 00 in an RJ. Good luck!

5ft here and curvy.
    I have a Pikeur Skarlett, Animo Lei or Lotty (I cant remember well) and a british coat called Prestatie Sport (Vittoria model) that I love. The first two are short, although I always have to alter the sleeves, and the Prestatie is glove tight through the body with a great elastic fabric and has kind of a peplum at the end...stands out from other models.
    If you're on a budget, check out Horze.com. They have great buys for the buck. I have a red Wiona jacket, in stretch material, that fits really nice and it's less than $100!!
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Oops! I forgot!
    I also bought a light blue Spooks at WEF. They fit really nice, are comfy and short, too. Unfortunately, I also had to shorten the sleeves. I guess I wont be able to avoid that ever...
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

The Grand Prix Rylie is fairly short in Overall Lenght. However it is important that the waist hits you in the correct spot, otherwise it causes other fit issues. Grand Prix can make their classic or euro models in your exact proportions by special order. That way both the waist of the coat is in the correct place and the overall length is exactly what you want.