The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    As a long time western trail rider, I can assure you that under trail riding circumstances, there is no deep, intrinsic meaning behind the t-shirt with the saying on it. It means exactly what it says, and is usually worn by someone who doesn't want to spend the day listening to someone else in the group running their mouth ad infinitum about crap no one wants to hear about. It is also the last attempt to convey the message to the anyone before the t-shirt wearer gets ticked off enough to get in someone's face about it, or drop the offender from any future trail riding. For whatever reason, they just don't want to hear the crap, so shut the h*ll up and ride. Whatever else you want to glean from that is up your own personal alley, not theirs. I will say, that if you see it at a western event, it may be because their good western shirt/t-shirt is in the wash, but it still means what it says anyway.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

    http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/


    6 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2003
    Location
    Northeast MA
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". And sometimes "Shut up and ride" means just that.

    OK, I just spewed my wine all over my keyboard. Which is a waste of wine, but nevertheless, thanks for the concise summation, Three Figs.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2005
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Posts
    6,655

    Default

    You're welcome. Sorry about the wine.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Dallas, NC
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    That's not the epiphany I got from Rick's explanation. I guess a thread can easily take on a life of its own. Personally I see that some people work things out verbally and others do not. When I see/hear someone constantly talking in that way while riding I assume they're processing something -like nerves. I would never tell them to STHU and ride. It might make the ride quieter, but IMO, it didn't help them with their issues.

    This thread wasn't meant to be about people who talk too much, people who have too much theory but no seat time, etc. It was simply about my finally understanding the rationale behind the sentiment and sharing it with others who might have the same issues with processing figurative speech.

    Paula
    Well what ever you meant, I took it literally.

    And yes, after 6 years with riding with her, almost every weekend lots of camping trips and her going through good horse like toilet tissue, and when you say "Personally I see that some people work things out verbally and others do not. When I see/hear someone constantly talking in that way while riding I assume they're processing something -like nerves." well, she has had many years to work through whatever it is that she was "processing".

    But you are welcome to assume away, she talked the. entire. trial. ride. For hours, nagging nagging the poor horses. Hollering while going down the trail. Just no fun, so I told her to just stop talking and ride and after that I just stopped trail riding with her. Though that trail ride was actually a nice one, and her horse wasn't so nervous one the chatter and picking stopped.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

    Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,517

    Default

    Went out and rode today. My first CCWC (Carroll County Western Circuit) show -barrels, plug, poles, versatility and figure 8. It was the first time for Fella too. He did very well, fun was had by all.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2011
    Location
    the Armpit of the Nation
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    OK, I just spewed my wine all over my keyboard. Which is a waste of wine, but nevertheless, thanks for the concise summation, Three Figs.
    I just snorted Bud through my nose S'Okay - it was warm and cheap-18 oz. for $1. WOOT.

    3F, thumbs up.

    ETA: Paula, I'm glad you had a great day. Thumbs up to you, too


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    56,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Went out and rode today. My first CCWC (Carroll County Western Circuit) show -barrels, plug, poles, versatility and figure 8. It was the first time for Fella too. He did very well, fun was had by all.

    Paula
    How about that.

    Hope you and your horse had a great time there, even if you had to quit talking.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2011
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I love the expression, "Shut Up And Ride", but too many people take it the wrong way so you have to be careful about to whom and how you say it.

    It's kinda like, "Hang Ten" to surfers, or "Break A Leg" to thespians. Basically, let's go and stop waisting time with the chit-chat.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    There is a horsey page on FB that features merchandise with the saying "Ride like you mean it". Along these same lines. What a light bulb moment that was for me. I never knew when to apply all the things I've learned and once applied, if they didn't work I didn't know what to do. I was often confused and disappointed in myself and in my horse.

    Then last time I rode, I rode like I meant it. The response I got back was "I don't know what a half halt means". I was stunned. I thought all horses knew that and that I was not catching on. So instead of putting up with his jiggy walk and ineffective half halts, I went to complete halts. Gently but firmly. Then walk off. If he started to get jiggy again...he did...another halt. By the time we were done he was keeping his relaxed walk longer and *beginning* to be sensitive to a half halt.

    Instead of whining "why is he DOING this" I shut up and rode like I meant it. I felt strong, confident and in charge. It was great!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    56,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    There is a horsey page on FB that features merchandise with the saying "Ride like you mean it". Along these same lines. What a light bulb moment that was for me. I never knew when to apply all the things I've learned and once applied, if they didn't work I didn't know what to do. I was often confused and disappointed in myself and in my horse.

    Then last time I rode, I rode like I meant it. The response I got back was "I don't know what a half halt means". I was stunned. I thought all horses knew that and that I was not catching on. So instead of putting up with his jiggy walk and ineffective half halts, I went to complete halts. Gently but firmly. Then walk off. If he started to get jiggy again...he did...another halt. By the time we were done he was keeping his relaxed walk longer and *beginning* to be sensitive to a half halt.

    Instead of whining "why is he DOING this" I shut up and rode like I meant it. I felt strong, confident and in charge. It was great!
    I wonder, how long have you been riding?

    I think that those that start riding when very young just ride and then it comes naturally.
    Even if they never learn the technical aspects of riding, even if they don't even know what leads are, they still can get a horse to do so much, because they have "just ridden" and made it work, whatever way it was working, even on the wrong lead.
    Add some education to that and the sky is the limit, or we are ourselves if it comes to that.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    4,108

    Default

    I've always assumed the "shut up and ride" phrase was about the same as "just do it".
    Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,517

    Default

    Oh my goodness, last night I was just stupid-tired. Our debut was brilliant. Funny thing about shut up and ride; I talk alot, like all the time. Except yesterday when I was warming up, thinking about my patterns, etc. I didn't talk at all. In fact other people's chatter got on my nerves. Isn't that funny? Of all the people to be put off by chatter I wouldn't have expected it to be me. Of course when were were done I was right back to my talkative self. So how's that?

    Gestalt, "just do it" was another of those phrases that held no meaning for me beyond a Nike ad. Now I understand it. But, as a few of us were saying earlier, some of us are just literal.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    A couple of years. I started when I was 30...just trail riding; or, "slopping down the road" as I called it. Then I went to a carriage showing career. So when I started riding again over 30 years later, I could stay on a horse (most of the time ;-) ) but hadn't a clue how to ride "right" or make my horse show off his show gaits. I consider myself a beginner when it comes to equitation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wonder, how long have you been riding?

    I think that those that start riding when very young just ride and then it comes naturally.
    Even if they never learn the technical aspects of riding, even if they don't even know what leads are, they still can get a horse to do so much, because they have "just ridden" and made it work, whatever way it was working, even on the wrong lead.
    Add some education to that and the sky is the limit, or we are ourselves if it comes to that.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    56,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    A couple of years. I started when I was 30...just trail riding; or, "slopping down the road" as I called it. Then I went to a carriage showing career. So when I started riding again over 30 years later, I could stay on a horse (most of the time ;-) ) but hadn't a clue how to ride "right" or make my horse show off his show gaits. I consider myself a beginner when it comes to equitation.
    It is much easier to acquire motor memory when very young.
    Later, it takes more work, more practice and the right kind of practice to become good at anything physical, as we are not growing new paths, but fighting old ones also.

    That doesn't mean we can't do much, it is maybe thru other ways than the real simple "just ride", although that is of course part of that learning curve also.

    When learning to become a serious, professional riding instructor, we had kids camps and the kids learned so much in a handful of days, it was incredible.

    I wish we had camps for adults also.
    I think it would have been very interesting what differences there were in the teaching and learning and how best to advance with adult students in that setting.
    The problem, few adults then could take a whole week from life, family and work, to participate in such camps.
    Today life is somewhat different and more adults may just be able to manage that.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep. 1, 2011
    Location
    over yonder
    Posts
    207

    Default

    "Shut up and ride!"

    Translated could mean:

    1. Stop posting and reading on an internet BB and GET OUT AND RIDE.

    2. Stop saying "I want to do this discipline. I want to do that discipline." all teh while collecting 10 saddles for one horse that you never ride. You have to ride to learn ANY discipline well.

    3. Stop auditing clinics and ride in them instead.

    4. Stop making excuses for yourself, your horse, your barn, your tack, your arena, your trails or a lack of arena or trails.

    5. When the horse gives you what you ask, leave him alone. Is he going well on the buckle down the long side? JUST RIDE!!! Stop nagging him.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2004
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wonder, how long have you been riding?

    I think that those that start riding when very young just ride and then it comes naturally.
    Even if they never learn the technical aspects of riding, even if they don't even know what leads are, they still can get a horse to do so much, because they have "just ridden" and made it work, whatever way it was working, even on the wrong lead.
    Add some education to that and the sky is the limit, or we are ourselves if it comes to that.
    I rode and had my own horses growing up, but never took a lesson. Once I was an adult and started taking lessons, suddenly I felt like I couldn't ride anymore. I literally went so far backwards I lost all confidence and natural feel and went through a couple or more years of crazy ANALlitical time-wasting . It didn't help that I had the wrong horses....but it took me years to get out of that rut.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2000
    Location
    Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain
    Posts
    11,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterN8tive View Post
    "Shut up and ride!"

    Translated could mean:

    1. Stop posting and reading on an internet BB and GET OUT AND RIDE.

    2. Stop saying "I want to do this discipline. I want to do that discipline." all teh while collecting 10 saddles for one horse that you never ride. You have to ride to learn ANY discipline well.

    3. Stop auditing clinics and ride in them instead.

    4. Stop making excuses for yourself, your horse, your barn, your tack, your arena, your trails or a lack of arena or trails.

    5. When the horse gives you what you ask, leave him alone. Is he going well on the buckle down the long side? JUST RIDE!!! Stop nagging him.
    I like this description. For myself, I often think of it like "sit up and ride" but when thinking of others, I think I'd go with "shut up and ride!" (especially point 1 above) This phrase is about the mentality of riding (for me, anyway) - I need a good warmup before I'm mentally in the game and when I am, my rides are so much better. It is about focus, determination, plugging your ass into the saddle and doing it (whatever IT is for you). Heck, some days it is about just riding if I'm tired or not feeling it. Stop making excuses and just DO IT already, PoPo. Or some days it is about being firmer and clearer in my expectations so that I don't say, "well, that was good enough, I guess." Some days it is about "puckering up" and riding by sucking my butt cheeks into the saddle if it is a particularly spooky-ride type of day.

    Actually, sometimes the opposite of shutting up works - especially in jumping lessons, I've had my instructor purposefully make me answer questions as I'm riding to a jump in order to take my mind off whatever it is that is making me ride like an idiot and let my body just take over.

    I don't think anyone has ever told me to shut up, because I'm not much of a talker to begin with!http://underdev02.chronofhorse.com/f...milies/lol.gif
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran



Similar Threads

  1. My mare has "shut down"...suggestions?
    By NorthHillFarm in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr. 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2012, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 120
    Last Post: Sep. 29, 2010, 12:00 AM
  4. Did you ever have a mare "shut down" her labor
    By Hunterlover in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun. 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
  5. Replies: 59
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2008, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness