The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion suggesstion for Welt sport horse mare? Compact, SJ preferred.

Hi, I would love to get some ideas, opinions for a stallion for my Weltmeyer sporthorse Oldenburg mare that I did eventing and showjumping with. She's got a hind supsensory now. I thought I had one picked out but am rethinking and I want to explore other ideas.

I was going down the Contender, Corde line and may still..but just trying to see about other options.

About her: 15'3hh, compact, gray, 1/4 TB on dam's side--also Le Champion, Landgraf on dam's. Weltklause sire,Weltmeyer grand sire. Pros: Very sensitive and spicy (which I love), pretty femine face, lovely mover, can jump the moon. Cons--croup high, needs a biger rear and less shoulder and would like to add more rideability. She's opionated and can be a challenging ride. A little hot but quiet, which is fine but can be spooky.

What I want to end up with (hopefully) is a talented well-bred, nice moving showjumper that has the ability to do the highs. And maybe cross over and do some upper-level eventing. RIDEABILITY. Not tall (16.1 or 2-max), compact, FORWARD and not too "warmbloody" but don't want to cross with a TB. One that scores high on willingness.

I want chilled semen, LFG. Not frozen.

I welcome your suggestions and thank you in advance!! I've read through a lot of the recent posts and researched many of the stallions mentioned but none sound just right. THANKS!

What level jumpers was she competitive to? Off the top of my head I really can't think of any UL jumpers with Weltmeyer anywhere in their pedigree. I certainly may be wrong, but you might be hard pressed to produce a competitive 1.40m horse with a Weltmeyer granddaughter.

Outside of dressage, I see a lot of W line horses in the AA hunters... they definitely have a certain "look" to them and I can usually pick them out in the warmup ring. The natural way of going of these horses does not seem conducive to the jumper ring at any decent (I'm thinking like topping out in the Low AAs) level.

There are exceptions to every rule of course, but this is one I just haven't seen yet! I'd love to be wrong about this
    Last edited by ShannonD; Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: UL, not UK!

I'd look into selle francais stallions for her.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

What I want to end up with (hopefully) is a talented well-bred, nice moving showjumper that has the ability to do the highs. And maybe cross over and do some upper-level eventing. RIDEABILITY. Not tall (16.1 or 2-max), compact, FORWARD and not too "warmbloody" but don't want to cross with a TB. One that scores high on willingness.
    You may get exactly what you want but that list is going to be hard to fulfill. Upper level eventing usually require one type of horse and jumping another. Plus you have a dressage line in the mix which as Shannon pointed out makes it 'not impossible', just more unlikely. And moreover a Tb or mostly TB sire with a ton of jump is probably your best bet for getting what you want. A Trak or SF would be the next pick. One that has eventing offspring that are strong in the jump.
    The UL eventing horse, as any UL horse, is hard to get with any one breeding. Let alone a jumper that is over 1.40m also.

I looked it up-- you two did the .90-1m jumpers with one 1.05m class. She's by a Weltmeyer son & out of a Le Champion/TB mare... I know you don't want to hear it, but I think you're going to be fighting a real uphill battle trying to get a. 1.40m horse out of this mare. The Highs down here are SUPER competitive, with the younger or amateur Grand Prix riders using them as warm ups for the big classes. Karl Cook, Nayel Nassar, the Chad gals, etc would all place in the top in the Highs on one or two horses then take another one or two in the Sunday GPs at Thermal this year, for example.

Like Stoicfish said, not impossible, but don't be too surprised if the best she can ever produce is an A/A horse

You could look at Rainbow Equus Meadows.
    I LOVE my Chickens!