The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Need to hear good stories about successful ovarectomy's (sp)

Took my maiden mare in for ultrasound to prepare her for breeding this year and was told she has a large mass on one ovary and the ovary needs to be removed. I am taking her to UGA and having the ovarectomy done but want happy tales of successful surgeries as this is my heart horse. Are mares still fertile with one ovary? What is the recovery time? Risks? Very nervous mare owner here looking for other experienced advice. Thanks!

I had a breeding client years ago with a mare that had only one ovary (from a similar issue). She conceived on the first cycle, and has had many, many foals since then with no problems getting in foal.

Good luck to your girl!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

The stallion owner told me she had a similar issue with one of the mares that just foaled and had a completely successful birth.

Goldenpony thanks for that. Between you and the stallion owner I'm feeling a bit better about moving forward with this.

We have a TB mare that would not conceive. Found out she had a mass on her ovary. Had it removed and mare has had 3 foals with no difficulty settling.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

How long was her recovery time? I know we won't be able to breed her this year but would riding be out of the question for the year as well?

Be optimistic for a successful outcome! Good luck and keep us posted, please.

We bred the same year. Incision was on her right side/ right ovary. She started cycling normally right away.
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Really?! Wow! Did they do it laparoscopicly?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes it was laproscopic. Two small incisions, a few sutures and a couple days of stall rest. It was really simple.
    www.equistarfarm.com

I have had two mares that had ovaries removed. The one was discovered late in the season so I didn't try to breed her that year, but she conceived first try both the years following and then I sold her, and she conceived twins with frozen last year for the new owners I believe.

The other mare was owned by someone else, and I was just leasing her to breed, so I send her back after she recovered from surgery. Someone else tried to breed her that year and she didn't take, and they elected to put her back in sport. I imagine if they tried to breed her now she would be fine.

I was worried, too, but rest assured they can and do recover well and go on to be successful broodmares. The tumor is usually secreting hormones that prevent the mare from conceiving, so it HAS to be removed or she won't conceive at all. Good luck!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    ... and she conceived twins with frozen last year for the new owners I believe.
    How does that happen? The single ovary matures two follicles in quick succession?
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    How does that happen? The single ovary matures two follicles in quick succession?
    That would be my guess. My understanding is they bred with frozen and flushed for ET, and had two embryos but only one available recipient. That is my luck. I have tried 16+ times with frozen, including on this mare, with ZERO foals, and I sell her and they get a two-for-one special.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    ....That is my luck. I have tried 16+ times with frozen, including on this mare, with ZERO foals, and I sell her and they get a two-for-one special.
    Karina, I'd have thrown myself off the barn roof.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

OP, one of our best broodmares had only 1 ovary when we purchased her. Her previous owner had the ovarectomy done roughly 6 months before we bought her because they had tried for 2 years to get her in foal with no luck. The vet found a mass and removed the ovary.

The next year we bred her with frozen and she took the first try. She gave us 3 beautiful fillies before we sold her!

I'm feeling a bit better hearing all this. Thanks guys! I have a call into our vet but working shift work like I do I won't be able to talk in person until Friday. We are doing the game of email, voicemail, text message tag. *sigh* If only my husband spoke equinese.

Wer are going to do an overectomy (both) on a young mare we have that as a pneumovagina and pulls large amounts of air into her vagina. We've done a caslicks with some change but not enough. She would never hold a pregnancy and is a tough cookie anyway so neutering her will eliminate the breeding issue as she wouldn't hold a pregnancy.
    Wanted to know if those of you who removed both ovaries saw a difference in the temperament of the mares.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I had my mare done waaaay back when.
    Hmmmm...1998ish?

She was a big bitch.
    Taking her ovaries out saved all of our lives.

Recovery time was short. I think I had to wait 3 weeks before riding again though.

It was done standing. Laparoscopic. She was left with 3 one inch scars on each flank.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Wer are going to do an overectomy (both) on a young mare we have that as a pneumovagina and pulls large amounts of air into her vagina. We've done a caslicks with some change but not enough. She would never hold a pregnancy and is a tough cookie anyway so neutering her will eliminate the breeding issue as she wouldn't hold a pregnancy.
    Wanted to know if those of you who removed both ovaries saw a difference in the temperament of the mares.
    My mare had both removed last June. Her blood work prior surgery showed very elevated levels of testosterone, estrogen and progesterone (which helped explain her violent behavior). Palpation showed two very enlarged ovaries.

I have no interest in breeding, so I opted to have them removed. They did the procedure standing, laproscopically and they had to make the incisions larger than normal given the enlarged size of her ovaries. She had four incisions total; 2 larger and two smaller on each side. Surgery was uneventful and total recovery was around two months for her. The pathology on the ovaries came back normal, but the surgeon commented that her ovaries were abnormal in every way and definitely needed to be removed.

We saw noticeable improvement immediately but it did take about 6-8 weeks to see the true improvement. She is still "herself" (opinionated, bossy, a bit "sensitive") but it is MUCH improved without the hormonal swings and she is non-reactive to other horses, which was certainly not the case before surgery.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    Really?! Wow! Did they do it laparoscopicly?
    My friend had a hermaphrodite...was a mare on the outside but a colt on the inside and both testicles (they were where the ovaries are normally located) were removed laparoscopically while the horse was standing and I only recall her being in the hospital one night .....then she was stalled at my place for several days and then allowed out in a 12 x 12 paddock for a couple more days and then after a week full turn out.

Good luck with your mare

Dalemma

I gavemy mare off the year she had a Hematoma Granulosa? SP at age 15 and had her ovary removed.. she gave me three more lovely offspring..

Hers was emergency surgery as she had gotten very studdish over a three day period, prompting a vet exam which resulted in emergency surgery to prevent the ovary from bursting.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB