The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Easy keeper house cat...wet food? What's best?

Well it appears that one of my house cats is getting a little pudgy. She currently eats Verus which is a dry food that she has been on since adopted from the SPCA last year. She gets 1/4 a cup a day (sometimes very slightly over), and is producing quite the belly. She is pretty active in that she does play, scratch on her post, and occasionally run around like a loon. I'm thinking that switching to a wet food would give her the good proteins she needs without the carbs and fillers that could be adding to her waistline. Would this be true? If so, what is a good canned food to feed. I'd prefer not to break the bank as I'd probably be feeding both of my cats the same thing. Easy to find is a plus, either on Amazon or at the local pet store. What would you suggest?

I feed Before Grain and Hound & Gatos, and have been very happy with both.

With Before Grain, you can save $$ by buying the large 13 oz cans labeled for dogs. I have confirmed with the company that the dog cans are nutritionally complete for cats.

The large 13 oz dog cans of Hounds & Gatos are NOT nutritionally complete for kitties, so don't try that trick with them (unless you supplement some taurine.)

Another option would be the classic varieties of Fancy Feast, but watch out for wheat gluten. It can be a little cheaper and a little easier to source (depending on what you've got nearby) but I haven't found the cost savings to be significant and the quality of the ingredients in the brands I linked above is far superior.

Cool, I will have to check those out. I'm heading to our local pet place tomorrow and they usually have a good variety. Can wet good be left out all day? If I give her half a can or whatever the proper serving may be, I'm not sure she will eat it all right away.

Definitely ditch the dry food, and I second the suggestion for Fancy Feast "Classic" varieties. None of the Classic styles contain wheat gluten (although other varieties of Fancy Feast do), they're grain-free, and it's actually a pretty decent canned food. IMO, it's the best value for the $, and most cats really love it.

You might also consider getting a blood test on your kitty to check for diabetes or anything else that might be brewing, as well as determining her current, baseline values.

My cat usually eats up what I put out for him (he only gets canned food), but occasionally leaves some. Sometimes he comes back and finishes it up, sometimes not. Never a problem leaving it out. It just gets a little dry.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    With Before Grain, you can save $$ by buying the large 13 oz cans labeled for dogs. I have confirmed with the company that the dog cans are nutritionally complete for cats.
    Just FYI, Merrick replaced the Dog version of Before Grain with Grain Free 96%, which no longer has Taurine listed in the ingredients. I don't know when they made the change, but unless your getting the old cans, it looks like the dog cans are no longer complete for cats.

My cats get EVO and Wellness, both of which are grain free and come in 12 oz cans. With two cats the big cans last two days (they get some dry too), and it's a lot cheaper than the smaller cans. You're not going to find EVO at the big pet stores but most of the smaller chains will have it.
    Last edited by onyx98; Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Can wet good be left out all day? If I give her half a can or whatever the proper serving may be, I'm not sure she will eat it all right away.
    I bought a supply of small tupperware containers. When I have a partial can of wet food, I take it out of the can and seal it in tupperware. To be absolutely safe, you should probably refrigerate it and then reheat it, but I confess to not always doing that, and as long as it has only been a few hours, it feeds fine.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

IME, with canned food it's "Whatever their Royal Highnesses have deigned acceptable. This week." I've found mine will eat almost any dry food (they get TSC's 4Health and 4Health grain-free,depending on what's in stock and how much I really want to deal with the stinkier poop grain-free produces) but when it comes to wet, they go through bizarre flavor and texture preferences. A food that was perfectly fine a week ago is suddenly the worst thing ever.

Hm, I'm curious to see how she will do with wet food. I'm thinking she we be fine. I didn't have time to check out the local pet stores inventory as I just had enough time before work to grab some meds for our new kitty. She is still adapting to new kitty so I wasn't sure if I was going to hold off on the change. She is eating normally, so I may just start moving her over to it. I'm taking the aforementioned brands with me to look for them at the store. The consensus seems to be grain free? Also, I'm pretty sure I can get Blue Buffalo around here, any experiences with that?

Have to state the obvious here...you could just feed her less of the dry food you are currently feeding!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Have to state the obvious here...you could just feed her less of the dry food you are currently feeding!
    Less than 1/4 cup a day? I mean, I guess I could do that. I just want to make sure she is receiving nutrients as well. I'll have to look at the bag and see if that isn't too small of a quantity (less than 1/4 cup).

Quote Originally Posted by onyx98 View Post
    Just FYI, Merrick replaced the Dog version of Before Grain with Grain Free 96%, which no longer has Taurine listed in the ingredients. I don't know when they made the change, but unless your getting the old cans, it looks like the dog cans are no longer complete for cats.
    Well that's lame. Thanks for the heads up!

Suppose it's still possible to save some dollars by buying the big cans and just supplementing taurine. That's what we're doing now for my cat with IBD. She does very well on the Hound & Gatos rabbit, but supply issues meant I couldn't get the cats cans. Bought 500 mg taurine capsules and mix one in with each can, for 250 mg taurine per day, and is quite easy. (Easier than pulling my hair out over trying to find a cat branded rabbit that would work for her, anyway!!)

Can wet good be left out all day? If I give her half a can or whatever the proper serving may be, I'm not sure she will eat it all right away.
    Until recently, we put wet food down in the morning, the cats browsed all day, finishing by dinner time. Whatever scraps were left were picked up, fed to the dogs and the cats were fed wet again, with the food left out until breakfast. Absolutely ZERO issues feeding like this, except one of the four was cleaning up more than her fair share and got obese. (She's also the least active cat, so the most prone to fatness.)

To slim her down, we now feed her in a crate. Put down food, lock Puck up with her food and give all the kitties 30-60 minutes to eat (time depends on our schedules.) When we let Puck out, all food is picked up and nothing is available until dinner.

There was a learning curve when we first switched to timed feeding and if the others didn't do well with breakfast, I'd feed lunch to get more calories in, but now they all do just fine.

Short version: leaving wet food down is fine, but it's also easy to transition to meal time if leaving wet out won't work for you for whatever reason.

The consensus seems to be grain free? Also, I'm pretty sure I can get Blue Buffalo around here, any experiences with that?
    I look for as little OTHER STUFF in my cat food as possible. I want to feed my cats meat and nothing else. They're obligate carnivores and just don't need blueberries and pea protein and alfalfa and such.

Yes, grain free is best. Blue Buffalo is a pretty good food, but FYI has been a part of the pet food recalls.

I like Earthborn Holistics and Weruva wet foods. Both great quality and very palatable to picky kitties, IME.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I might be Captain Obvious here, but are you sure she's getting fat and it's not just a dewlap? A forth of a cup seems like a small amount unless she's a small cat to begin with. Can you see her muscles move when she walks or feel her ribs? Does she look curvy with a definite indent at the waist when you look down at her back? Some cats get the hound dog jowl look along their bellies, but they're actually pretty svelte everywhere else.

If it is indeed pudge, you've got a nice compilation of answers so far.

I wouldn't call it a dewlap as the weight is more focused around her lower belly. May just be a "house cat" belly. She is being fed for her desired weight and is actually pretty active with playing. I did find some Before Grain, Natural Balance, Friskies and a few others without gluten and/or grains. I'm going to see if they have a preference. I think my male cat will eat whatever is in front of him, though.

Thank you for asking this! My cat has gained weight as she got older (even though she is still very active, same food, etc) and I was wondering the same thing. Going to check out some brands and may switch to wet