The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are we absolutely certain that the kid hasn't adopted the "Jump up his neck and land in a heap" technique that is so popular today? If she's landing unbalanced and with weight on her hands, any self-respecting horse is going to get wiggly. That it happens more as the fences go up is a clue. And that it happens less with you is one more.

Smaller fences until she gets and better at waiting for the horse to jump. ( And less looking at photos of hunters in COTH )
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

1 members found this post helpful.

I think, before you really do anything, you need to sit down with this 13yo and make sure she realizes what a potential problem could be brewing here. It could be that, even though he's gotten her off a few times, she doesn't believe it's such a big problem and will eventually fix itself.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeBrook View Post
    Usually he gets her off because she's kicking so much to keep him going that she's not secure in her leg. But if she has spurs and catches him in the air that's a sure-fire play on the backside so we don't jump with spurs (she does carry a crop).

When I school him he tries it once, I send him forward and he drops it. His kid isn't quite strong enough to get after him (as she's usually doing what she can just to ride it out).
    I see two big problems. You say this girl does not have a secure leg and is not 'strong' enough - physically strong or she just doesn't have the attitude?

Quite honestly, I'd ground this girl from fences for a while to work on her leg. No stirrups for every ride, until she looks rock solid over trot poles, canter poles, cavaletti, and can ride your average hour flat lesson without being exhausted. If she's working with a green bean WB, having a weak leg is just not going to work.

If she's lacking basic physical strength (I can understand that, as many 13yo riders are in a bean pole stage), get her to start strength training. You can never start working out too young, especially if it's going to benefit both the horse and rider.

Lastly, give her the crop and tell her you expect her to use it. If this behavior isn't too ingrained yet, I'd say this horse needs a spank with that crop once or twice, and he'll understand that he can't fool around with her. But she needs to be committed to being a tougher rider. Otherwise, it just likely won't work.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

2 members found this post helpful.

We had one like this in a program about 15 yrs ago. Came to us (undisclosed) with the issue and started getting his very Ammie adult off after the fences. Would land, and while the rider's hip angle was still semi-closed and weight forward, the horse would stop, drop his head and shoulder, and then stand there looking at the rider on the ground like "hey, whatcha doing down there?".

I could ride him through it, and really got into him if he tried it with me.
    but he was smart enough to know who was on him.
    We worked on the flat with cluck = forward. The rider did a lot of smaller fences so he could stay back with his upper body a little more than ideal, then a big kick on the landing to teach the horse to gallop away (with cluck). Things like landing rails helped, but the issue was always there. Having the horse ahead of the leg throughout the course, and a cluck on all the landings mostly worked. Lovely horse, and eventually leased to a girl who did the Jr Hunters on it. But every once in a while, when she got cocky or stopped paying attention, he'd revert and land her in the dirt. It's a tough issue once they learn it. good luck, and I second the posters who say you need to stop the pattern *now*.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Element, I love your sig line!!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

3 members found this post helpful.

Also, does she ride in a different saddle than you do? Would it be possible that a different tack combination when she rides could be causing him some pain?

honestly?
    I'd go a little western on him.
    Doesn't matter how old he is..or how green he is.
    Bucking.is.not.allowed.

The moment he goes to porpoise canter (prop to me is when they spread their front legs and stop when spooking at something) so I'm thinking he does more of a porpoise canter? rip his head up and beat his butt.

then he'll know the behavior is undesirable. That's the fastest way to put an end to that.
    It's not some forward, rhythm, blah blah blah issue.
    It's either the horse being a douche or he just doesn't know that the behavior is not allowed.

Telling him what you think of him when he does that is the fastest way to put an end to it.

If he continues? then I would have a vet check his front feet and/or hocks.

My very first horse was the queen of land and then drop her head and boing boing boing 5-7 times. She actually ran us into an arena wall one time because she wasn't looking where she was boinging.
    It wasn't nipped in the bud when she was young...
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

2 members found this post helpful.

My horse does this when she is too fresh. Perhaps your student isn't really warming him up/working him on the flat enough?

My horse comes out d-e-a-d...or so you think. Pop her over a jump to soon and the porpoise/propping comes out. She's not really dead, she's resistant to go forward.

It was not until I took it back to basics and fully addressed her forward issue that this behaviour stopped over fences. Just food for thought as he may be one of these types.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique