The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Teaching horse camp this summer... beating the heat and staying shaded?

I just got a job teaching at a really great local summer camp. It's very established and has a great reputation. My friend is the equestrian director and I know it will be a good experience.

I had skin cancer 3 years ago (I was 25) and had to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from my face.

I'm very worried about sun exposure, any tips (besides: wear sunscreen). Best lotions, things that don't run, hats I can wear around horses with out being super annoying, best skin covering clothes I can wear to the barn and outside and not die of heat?

a little north of Columbus GA

I just posted on a different thread that my current favorite sun shirts are Ex Officio (and often come at large discounts from Sierra Trading Post.)

With your history, I'd probably go for one of the high SPF shirts that are purpose made for skin protection. They usually have vents across the upper back and under the arms. I'm cooler with a long sleeve shirt on than with the sun beating down on me.

My favorite big hat is the Scala Lifeguard rafia hat. Mine is ragged and I haven't found a replacement locally yet, but it looks like Amazon may come through:

(I like these because they come in size small. The generic straw 'one size fits all' hats never fit me.)
    ... and Patrick

I had a really bad burn myself and my derm had me using Ombrelle. Pricey, but your health is worth it. That was a while ago and there might be something better out there... ask your dermatologist maybe? They would know about UVA/B blocking fabrics as well.
    I would start collecting wide brimmed straw hats and make a fashion statement myself!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Use Burts Bees Lifeguards Choice for your lips...don't forget they can get chapped from sun exposure too. I also use Burts Bees (yes I am obsessed no I don't work for the company in any way) aftersun stuff. It is AMAZING. It has definitely prevented peeling etc. When I worked as a wrangler our boss made us put sunscreen on every morning and every afternoon before rides. Making it into part of the routine really helps.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!