The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tips/Tricks for getting meds in your horse

My pony was recently started on Robaxin for some stiffness/pain. He is recently started back into work, and we are trying hard to get some weight on him.

We tried putting it in his food, and he won't touch his food. Because I am trying so hard to get every calorie in him that I can, I would rather not mess around with his meals by trying to hide it in there.

I tried crushing it and mixing it with apple sauce. Crush and mix with banana, hiding it in peanut butter, hiding it in oatmeal cream pie (his favorite) nothing works. Its like he just KNOWS it is in there. During all the crushing, I got a bit in my mouth when I whipped my mouth w/ the back of my hand. And after tasting it, I can't say I blame him for rejecting it.

Oh course, if I crush and mix with water, I can put it in a syringe and force it in. But now when he sees me coming with the syringe he runs to the back of his stall, and I feel horrible.

Any suggestions??

You could try the injectable methocarbamol if you're comfortable giving IV shots.

When I give Robaxin, it is only about 12 tablets, which I put in a little plastic jar with a top with warm water. Shake a bit and the tablets will dissolve (easier than crushing I think). Pour into dosing syringe. Mine doses easily, but if he didn't I would try adding some honey.
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

A tall very strong husband or SO? Mine is good at jamming anything down the horses' throats that needs to go.

We also dip the syringes in molasses or honey when we have a repeat customer.

Also-you can feel bad all you want but he still needs the medicine. To him it's a minor annoyance. the other 23 hours and 58 minutes of the day he's a happy camper. Just go get him and dose him.

3 members found this post helpful.

Robaxin is terribly bitter, so I don't blame him for not wanting anything to do with it!

When I had to give it to my picky mare, I mixed it into a paste and added pancake syrup, and pasted her with it. She wasn't thrilled, but it got the job done.

I've also been known to hollow out a large carrot, fill it with the pill powder and cap it with vanilla frosting. Depending on the volume, that might also be an option. IIRC, I was giving quite a bit of it, so the "trojan carrot" trick didn't work for us.

Balling gun? (combined with rewards after.)

Might not help you now, but a horse can very readily be trained to accept oral dosing of meds via syringe. You just have to get them thinking that you coming at them with the syringe is virtually always a GOOD thing instead of almost always BAD.

If they're truly awful about dosing via oral syringe, you may have to get tough with them but it is still the most efficient way. I use an oral dosing syringe with a trigger on it (bought at Valley Vet in the goat section) for large volumes or difficult horses since it is easy to hold and squeeze and is metal instead of crummy plastic.

Try dosing him every day with applesauce mixed with molasses or something delicious, and he will learn to not hate it.
    Click here before you buy.

Ditto what deltawave said, and add never rush. Just wait. Take a deep breath like you've got all day. Don't get frustrated, impatient or pushy. Just wait until the horse drops its nose, and then push it in and be done with with it.

Excellent idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Might not help you now, but a horse can very readily be trained to accept oral dosing of meds via syringe. You just have to get them thinking that you coming at them with the syringe is virtually always a GOOD thing instead of almost always BAD.

If they're truly awful about dosing via oral syringe, you may have to get tough with them but it is still the most efficient way. I use an oral dosing syringe with a trigger on it (bought at Valley Vet in the goat section) for large volumes or difficult horses since it is easy to hold and squeeze and is metal instead of crummy plastic.

Try dosing him every day with applesauce mixed with molasses or something delicious, and he will learn to not hate it.

I feel your pain. I put it in a sawed-off syringe with applesauce, inject it back in the mouth, and held the horse's head up by the jaw until swallowing. Not fun, but worked...followed by copious treats and petting.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Ask your vet whether previcox might be a better choice for your pony. It is readily eaten.

Otherwise known as Equioxx, firocoxib, etc.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Ask your vet whether previcox might be a better choice for your pony. It is readily eaten.

Otherwise known as Equioxx, firocoxib, etc.
    To Robaxin? I wouldn't consider firocoxib an alternate to robaxin. Perhaps gabapentin, though.

I just discovered a nifty thing to mix with meds if you have to syringe them in orally. My mare is on ranitidine and is not great for oral meds and will not eat strange things in her feed. To make it easy on the boarding barn I bought a big box of gogurt (the yogurt in a tube). Flavors were sour apple and cotton candy. My mare is happily accepting the dosing syringe 3x a day. It must really mask the taste of the ranitidine (very bitter).

I've been playing around with how to get my Cushings horse to take Prascend. He fell for the hollowed out apple for a couple of weeks then rejected it. I bought some Stud Muffin treats (very soft and pliable) and put the tablet in there. So far, so good. I even started using just half of the treat. I put the tablet in the center and roll it around into a nice soft ball. Occasionally I give him half of one without the med, just to keep him interested.

Default molasses

For my mare who loves beeing hand fed and will do anything for extra's I mix her supplement with molases and a bit of water mix to half a cup of brand a bit of wheat germ mix to a humid kind of mash and she will lick my hands clean... I know I should just put it into her tub...

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

I draw up my meds in an oral syringe and then also draw up some peppermint flavoring (not the small bottles of peppermint oil, I'm talking the big bottles of peppermint syrup for flavoring cofffees or hot chocolate) or somethign GOOD tasting after it. That way the first thing they taste as you push in the punger is good! My mare actually really enjoys her medicine now and sucks on the syringe. She thinks it's a treat and paws when she sees me approach her with it. Just 1mL of tasty peppermint is all it took!

I had good luck with cranberry/raspeberry/apple sauce - stronger flavour than plain apple sauce so hid the drugs better (or my horse was less picky?)

Clicker train to the syringe. It'll take you 3 five-minute sessions.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

My kissing spines horse must have been a pig as he ate the pills whole in his beet pulp and grain. I didn't have to crush or hide them -- didn't realize they tasted as bad as reported here!

One thing that worked for me in the past with some bitter meds was grinding them in a coffee grinder with peppermints (the starlight white and red candies). Dump on food and it disappears. Did that with bute for Mr. Picky (not piggy KS horse) and he chowed down.