Default Boots for protection

Miss Dove is rather good at whacking herself behind and has even drawn blood as she's been figuring things out in her off the track training. I'd like to find a set of boots for her to offer some protection, as I don't think polos will really cut it. Requirements are easy on and off, not expensive, and can take a pretty good whack. And, ideally, more than two straps, as I find those are easier to put on. Dove isn't shod, but she does work in easyboot gloves. She's pretty standard, size-wise...nothing special needed in that regard.

At first I thought of the Dressage Sport Boots but I'm really not sure how much impact those can really take and when did they get to be nearly $70?!

I certainly like the price of the Smartpak Sport Boots but they *really* look like they're not beefy enough.

The price is also right on these Bar F boots and I like the coverage...does anyone know anything about those?

Or perhaps just a basic set of Nunn Finer brushing boots?

Thoughts? There are just SO many options available and I'm not sure which way to go, especially since I need to order online and can't FEEL how beefy the boots are.

I prefer the fuzzy ones for everyday. Easy on and easy to clean. I don't jump in them. I have the Smartpak ones and they are flimsy. They wouldn't take a hard knock but they are cheap and look ok. I now have the Dover ones and like them a lot. They are much more "beefy". They do take a a bit to break in because they are stiff at first. They Dover catalog usually has coupons for them. I think I got them for around $30/pair. I don't buy anything from Dover but I do like these.
    ~Run and Jump!~

I use the Dover Fuzzy Boots for everyday with Bella. I was buying a few things through Dover, so I got my last set for about $15/pair. I wash them, bleach the heck out of them (we have some rainrot issues sometimes) and even dry them. They have held up like champs. We have used and abused the heck out of them for two years and I am just now needing to get another set.

The husband has these for his *ahem* "schpeciul" gelding. For being so talented over fences, Charlie is a hot mess with his feet. My only complaint is that they are kind of hard to get tight enough. They are also starting to fray on the velcro straps. They take a serious amount of abuse. Especially since the husband isn't particularly good about cleaning up his boots, pads, etc after a ride.

Both are pretty cheap and very durable. Good luck!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Normally I loathe ordering from Dover, with their ridiculous shipping and the way they price their stuff different all over the place, but the boots were only $25/pair if you buy two pair, and shipping was "only" $10 (I am so spoiled with Amazon Prime) so went for it. (Here's the link to the lower price for 2 offer, if anyone else is interested.)

All in for $60 makes me happy and glad to hear you both like these boots for general "let's just try not to hurt ourselves, okay?" wear

What color did you get? I have the white but now I want the brown too
    ~Run and Jump!~

I went with the black

I see you already ordered yours, but in case you ever need another pair, my OTTB interferes in back while playing in turn out, and it usually ends in a pretty deep slice and some blood. I use these and they have been great. I have had mine for a year now and they are still going strong. I also use them for jumping so they get a pretty good beating. The only downside is how much his hind legs sweat in them.

You've already ordered, so I don't have much influence, but I DO like the Smartpak boots. They aren't super heavy duty, but hold up just fine to every day life. Toby can be quite fractious and can seriously wack himself in the process (I mean, we ended up on 6 weeks of stall rest and missing a fall season because he acted like an idiot one day being led to the field). Those Smartpak boots protect him just fine, both from the general knocks and bumps that come with working, and on the occasions he just can't help himself. I will even occasionally jump in them out on the xc field, and they do their job admirably (Note: these would never be my choice if he was studded).

I also have the Dover boots. I don't mind them, but they are VERY bulky in my opinion. I prefer boots a little more streamline.

Thanks for the additional input!

Fawkes, I've used those boots in the past, but the heat was always a bit of a bother, and in the pictures, they seem to ride a little higher and cover less of the fetlock than other boots. The price is right, though, and they hold up well! I'm sure I still have a pair or two of the fronts around here somewhere (taking several years off means my tack is ALL OVER the place and I can't put my hands on much of it!)

YB, good to know about the Smartpak version. Do you like the coverage on those? They also seems to not come down quite as far in the photos. I'll certainly keep them in mind if the Dover boots don't work for us.

FYI, next time you order-- use coupon tenoff to make the dover shipping more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    FYI, next time you order-- use coupon tenoff to make the dover shipping more reasonable.
    Tried that--have to have $75 worth of stuff. Really didn't need anything else, so $60 all in, including shipping, for the two pairs of boots was about as good as it was going to get Really not to bad, since the "regular" price was $30/pair.

Thought about just going down to the store, but it's a solid 75 minutes or so from me and figured that $10 would be my gas.

Really, really, really wish we had a decent tack store here in Fort Collins. There's one, but the customer service and selection has been so incredibly and consistently terrible that I refuse to walk through the door anymore.

I've given up on having a good local tack store. We have a semi-decent one that's about an hour away from me. Next closest is the original dover store, and the NH store. So I get to pay shipping AND tax to order from either dover or smartpak. Really annoying, actually.

Dover/Smartpak are the only ones who actually have stock (as opposed to drop shippers...) so I keep buying from them so I get stuff in the same month I ordered it.

YB, good to know about the Smartpak version. Do you like the coverage on those? They also seems to not come down quite as far in the photos. I'll certainly keep them in mind if the Dover boots don't work for us.
    I think they cover well. They sit up under the knee or hock joint, and go down far enough to cover the fetlock joint without massive amounts of excess. Toby is 15.3 and leggy, but not REALLY long legged. He wears mediums in the front and larges on the hind (I think).

Just a report back:

Got the Dover boots a few days ago and have used them a couple times now. I think they are going to work just fine for protection. They are really pretty beefy and feel like they could take a solid whack.

Only complaint is only ONE boot in each pair is labeled for size. I should have gotten different colors for front and hind. I need to get into the habit of velcroing each pair together as I take them off, otherwise I spend a solid five minutes trying to figure out which is which. Or maybe mark them with nail polish or something.

Overall, though, I'm accomplishing what I want for a nice price

Get the open front hard shell jumping boots by horze.
    When my guys nail heads are starting to stick out he can make some nasty wounds. These are TOUGH and still look new after 6 months.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I see you already bought boots, glad to hear that they'll work for what you want.

Out of curiosity, where does your horse interfere?

My OTTB moves close behind and often trips over his own hind feet leading to wounds below his fetlocks (usually just above the coronet band). Through that process I've become a big fan of plain old Eskadron hinds, which can take a serious licking and still look great 5 or 6 years into service, and just started using a fetlock ring in addition.

Petstorejunkie, open fronts would not have worked for this horse. She needs more protection.

PNWjumper, Dove beats herself up from the coronary band to the top of the fetlock. I would not be at all surprised to see her whack herself higher (I thought about just buying ankle boots, but figured more protection = better in this case.) Whenever I've looked at her move she doesn't really travel close behind, but she is VERY green and sometimes legs go every which way, and I think that's when she knocks herself.

Or maybe she is traveling close behind when ridden and I've just not seen it. I have very little help at the barn, no mirrors and haven't gotten the chance to video a ride yet

Haha
    I was just putting mine on today and thought "damn why didn't they label both boots" I'm going to take a marker to them
    ~Run and Jump!~

Since you got black, you have two options... run one pair through the wash with bleach, it will make your elastic kind of purplish. Mine are just for schooling, so the color doesn't really matter for us. You can also get silver permanent marker. Mine are Larges all the way around (she's a beefy girl), so I forget that is a problem, lol.

You could also get some embroidery floss and just add a little line somewhere on them in red or something.

I've had mine forever and pulled them out of the dryer the other day and the velcro was flipped over and attached to the other (so the fleece is open and almost flat). Got the elastic and the fleece clean. I thought it was some weird trick of the universe, until I realized all 4 were like that. The husband put them like that, and then proceeded to look at me like I was insane when I exclaimed that I had never thought about it! (I really feel dumb sometimes)

Anyway, when you decide to run them through the wash, if you ever do, that's a super easy way to keep them from getting the velcro tangled in the fleece.

Glad you found something that you like.
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

For the marking issue, silver marking pen, a small piece of duct tape or (my new favorite thing) puffy t-shirt paint. I did a pair of bell boots well over a month ago and it's still all attached.

I have a pair of the SmartPak ones. Mr Mouth grabbed the velcro and tore them a bit but I fixed it with Gorilla tape. They are definitely less substantial than the Dover ones that I used on a friends horse (and hated the stiffness of) years ago.

A friend has the Horze ones that didn't fit her horse (too tall) but they look quite decent, especially for the price.
    The Evil Chem Prof