The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Long-sleeved riding shirts?

So, I seem to have developed this strange contact allergy to hay in the last couple of years. So much so that if my horse nuzzles me anywhere after he's been munching in his hay, I break out in little itchy red bumps within a couple of minutes. It's not the horse himself - I can rub all over his hair, and not have problems, but if I come into contact with the part of him that has been into the hay, instant breakout.

Usually I can relieve the bumps by washing the contacted area. However, since this most often happens on my arms while I'm grooming and getting tacked up, I'm looking for some long-sleeved riding shirts that will provide some protection, and also not make me sweat to death when our weather gets to 95 degrees and high humidity.

Any recommendations? I've always been a ride in a polo type of person, so I don't know whether I'll need to layer a polo on top, or if I can find some kind of wicking shirt that will be acceptable to ride in. Don't know that I'm a huge fan of the half-zip look, but willing to explore it.

Thanks in advance!

1 members found this post helpful.

Default horse stuff is way more expensive than sporting good stuff

Get thee to Dick's sporting goods. lots of long sleeved wicking stuff there.

This time of year, should be on sale.

Sorry to hear about your allergies.

You might want to consider the Bette & Court Swing shirts or the EIS shirts. They have mesh along the inside of the arm, so that might not work in preventing allergies.

I bought a couple of these and really like them:

http://www.bette-court.com/swing.html

They are long-sleeve, quarter zip.

I think the EIS shirts are the best, I have four or five and love them.

http://www.tackroomonline.com/browse...rt/4,2628.html

Long sleeve golf polos are usually coolmax and offer sun protection. In addition, you can usually find them on sale!

The EIS shirts are really nice,
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I get the same thing - super itchy little red bumps on my arm after I touch hay. I wear a lot of lightweight cotton button-down blouses, either ones from Goodwill or ones that I bought and for some reason can't wear out anymore.

I used to use Columbia brand sun shirts, but they made the pockets uselessly small and changed the design so they're very fitted. I switched to LL Bean which are boxier with big pockets, but their fabric isn't as breathable.

My current favorite sun shirts are Ex Officio. Check out Sierra Trading Post for good prices.

Similar to this (although this is a Mens shirt) http://www.sierratradingpost.com/res...colorFamily=01

(Sign up for their email announcements and you'll get discount codes.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Something like this...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59181...551-ppxs&dds=y

You can get them at any sporting goods store or REI. They are really cool and vented. I love the ExOfficio shirts also. They are long and look great tucked or out. They really keep you cool.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

The EIS shirts are so overpriced considering that you can buy knock-offs at basically any sporting goods store for a fraction of the price. I've started riding in Nike Dri-Fit tops—basically any runner's clothing is great for riding.

(I also have a few shirts like Bristol Bay posted. I bought them for a stay in Africa, but they've turned out great for riding and look pretty chic with breeches and a wide belt.)

I too break out if I get horse saliva on my arms. I don't break out just touching hay though, and I still break out when my horses are only on grass in the summer (out 24 hrs/day with run-in shed). I don't break out from the contact with their hair. So, you may really be allergic to the horse itself because there is a lot of allergen in the saliva - just a thought.

I have been wondering about good long sleeve shirts too so I was happy to see this thread. I take generic Zyrtec which helps, and aside from the rash, I don't have problems being around my horses.

Dover has a long sleeve shirt that is purported to keep you cool in hot weather. I don't love the colors, but the style looks appropriate for riding. A friend has ordered one - I'm waiting on her evaluation before I buy one.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/cool-bl...t/p/X1-200446/
    Last edited by keatssu; Apr. 13, 2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add link

What about wearing a super light-weight cardigan type layer while tacking, but remove it right before getting on and put it on immediately when getting off (like, bring it to the ring immediately)?

Quote Originally Posted by keatssu View Post
    I too break out if I get horse saliva on my arms. I don't break out just touching hay though, and I still break out when my horses are only on grass in the summer (out 24 hrs/day with run-in shed). I don't break out from the contact with their hair. So, you may really be allergic to the horse itself because there is a lot of allergen in the saliva - just a thought.

I have been wondering about good long sleeve shirts too so I was happy to see this thread. I take generic Zyrtec which helps, and aside from the rash, I don't have problems being around my horses.

Dover has a long sleeve shirt that is purported to keep you cool in hot weather. I don't love the colors, but the style looks appropriate for riding. A friend has ordered one - I'm waiting on her evaluation before I buy one.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/cool-bl...t/p/X1-200446/
    I bought the Dover shirt in green and I LOVE it. It's an exact copy of the EIS (not like Smartpak, which I feel snags very easily). They do run short, which was great for me at 5'4 with no waist, but you might size up for length if you're taller. Otherwise, I purchased it in a medium and I'm a 6 on top, 30-32 breech. Seriously love them and will be ordering more soon!

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Pollie View Post
    I bought the Dover shirt in green and I LOVE it. It's an exact copy of the EIS (not like Smartpak, which I feel snags very easily). They do run short, which was great for me at 5'4 with no waist, but you might size up for length if you're taller. Otherwise, I purchased it in a medium and I'm a 6 on top, 30-32 breech. Seriously love them and will be ordering more soon!
    Oh thanks! I'm 5'1" and all legs - sounds perfect! They are reasonably priced compared to the EIS. I think I can deal with the limited color selection....