The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddlers Row-Illinois

Is this a reputable company? I have absolutely no reason to believe they aren't, just checking before I place an order as they are not in my area. Thanks!

Yes they are. I go there all the time.

They're good people.

1 members found this post helpful.

They are ok as far as I know. I still feel a little grumble grumble that their saddle fitter up and left the PA area without notifying his clients AND took my saddle cover and never returned it despite several requests... but that's my own personal grumble grumble. They are a brick and mortar shop and have been around a while.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Yes, they're great. I have known Francis for ages and have always had wonderful experiences with Saddler's Row.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Yup, they're legit.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I had a not very good experience with them, and so have several friends. Mostly, I would suggest not ordering anything custom through them and not selling any saddles through them.

If you are just making a regular order of something they have in stock, you should probably be okay.

I don't do business with them anymore because of my experience.

6 members found this post helpful.

Several acquaintances have had similar experiences to FineAlready's...ordered custom boots, tack trunks, etc and they never came. If you're buying something in stock, you're probably ok.

Just curious as to what you'd order from them that you wouldn't order from, say, SmartPak or another business that is more geared to online?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I had a not very good experience with them, and so have several friends. Mostly, I would suggest not ordering anything custom through them and not selling any saddles through them.

If you are just making a regular order of something they have in stock, you should probably be okay.

I don't do business with them anymore because of my experience.

I had not heard this and I am glad you shared the experience.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    Several acquaintances have had similar experiences to FineAlready's...ordered custom boots, tack trunks, etc and they never came. If you're buying something in stock, you're probably ok.
    you're acquaintances, and half of the midwest have had the same experience
    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
    -fry & laurie

Quote Originally Posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
    you're acquaintances, and half of the midwest have had the same experience
    I know, right? One friend dropped off boots for a repair and they disappeared for about a year. (She no longer shops there.) Another friend ordered Sergio Grassos and after several months of pestering she finally had to contact her credit card company for a refund. (She no longer shops there either.) And yet another friend ordered a custom tack trunk months (or maybe over a year) ago and it's still not here.

So, ordering something in stock - you're probably going to have a good experience. Ordering custom...not so sure.

I know, right? One friend dropped off boots for a repair and they disappeared for about a year. (She no longer shops there.) Another friend ordered Sergio Grassos and after several months of pestering she finally had to contact her credit card company for a refund. (She no longer shops there either.) And yet another friend ordered a custom tack trunk months (or maybe over a year) ago and it's still not here.

So, ordering something in stock - you're probably going to have a good experience. Ordering custom...not so sure.
    They always seem to be out of basics like wormer and tack cleaner as well?
    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
    -fry & laurie

They have a REALLY, REALLY hard time paying the owner of saddles they sell on consignment the owner's portion of the sale price (after commission). It took them over a month and a LOT of nasty calls for me to get paid (and it was not a small sum of money), and it took them more like two months to pay my friend when they sold her saddle on consignment. They actually lied to her at least once and told her the check was "in the mail" when it really wasn't.

More than one friend of mine made down payments on custom goods which never arrived and then had to fight tooth and nail to get refunded the money they put down.

No idea if this is what is going on there or not, but I found their method of handing these things to be consistent with a business that is having trouble cash flowing. If that's not it, then they are the laziest and least helpful people on Earth.

God forbid you have to return something!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I used to deal with them as a vendor, key being USED TO- as a client I would NEVER give them money to "order" anything for me, nor sell anything through them. IF they have something in stock go a head and buy it, but if there is another option to support another tack shop that would be my suggestion. Give your money to good business that treat you right!

3 members found this post helpful.

Just curious as to what you'd order from them that you wouldn't order from, say, SmartPak or another business that is more geared to online?
    I'm interested in one of their consignment saddles... But now I'm wondering how things would go if I decided to return it after the trial period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilykoi View Post
    God forbid you have to return something!
    This. They are fine to buy from, hard to return things to. I think they are in a bit of an odd location and the stock available on their website is not substantial. So both their foot traffic and Internet traffic is probably not robust.

1 members found this post helpful.

After my frustrating experience with them with a saddle, and multiple people I know ordering stuff and it taking months and months to get in I won't buy anything from there. They have nothing that I can't get somewhere else.

Ditto experiences listed above re custom items & saddle consignment (have heard many horror stories). However, since you're not local, are you possibly buying from them through their ebay store? I've noticed that they've listed some pretty darn good deals in the last few weeks on ebay, particularly on Tailored Sportsman breeches. I've bought from them in store and through ebay, and have had no issues with them on either with regular, in-stock items, so if that's the case I'd say go for it

Meh. They are better than barrington though. That area is seriously lacking a good customer service, reasonably priced tack shop.