The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wonderfully sweet and very athletic 5yo TB mare, sound for dressage

I have a ~16.1h bay 5yo OTTB mare, raced 7x, off track almost 2 years (last race was 6/19/2011). Jockey Club name: Joy Within- fabulous bloodlines- she's a Tiznow filly! She's very athletic, gorgeous mover. I have been rehabbing her feet and pulled her shoes 6 months ago. She ideally needs another couple months off. She is a fabulous dressage candidate, not sound for jumping! Super, super sweet. Can be turned out with everyone, very good ground manners and good brain. I rode her last summer and she was very good under saddle- no bucking, rearing etc.. very willing.
    She is free to a good home. I will ask for references.
    Here are some videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1qTP09Jrrk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHZNQ6tFlY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPjjpd4aWg
    Last edited by vtshale; Apr. 18, 2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added new information

Forgot to mention that she's in VT!

She is lovely! I'm on the other side of the country, but good luck!

Thanks HorseKrazy! I hope I can find the right home and situation for her.

She is very attractive and nicely bred, too. Good luck finding her the perfect home!

Thank you CharingHounds!

I love her! What a cutie and she's got a great trot. I've been looking for a TB mare for myself, just something to hack around and do flatwork on. I wish she was closer to CA! Somehow I doubt the hauling from VT to here would be under my $1000 budget :/

Oh, bummer, Mi!! If I get desperate I might be willing to split shipping costs!

I wish I lived on the east coast, you guys have all the gorgeous TBs!
    Deal hehe. I'll keep setting money aside just in case but I'm sure someone will give this lovely mare a great home.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Mi Keeping my fingers crossed for the right home for my girl.

still looking for a home...

What is wrong with he feet? I can't remember if I read about the or not, Tia

Unfortunately part of her problem feet is due to bad farrier work that I've been working to fix. Her feet are looking GREAT now- concavity, M/L balance, nice short toe. Her LF has an old coffin bone fracture that's off the solar margin. We think she did it a year ago, but was never diagnosed. So, she was sound in shoes last summer, and I rode her (she was awesome!), but then when I pulled her shoes in Oct, she came up lame on the LF (but had been lame on the LF way back in the Spring of 2012, then came sound- the LF has a long history to it!). Finally it was diagnosed and my vet thinks it's 75% healed, but needs another couple months to heal. My vet is totally confident that she'll be fine for dressage/trail/broodmare, but, she really shouldn't be jumped. I'm an event rider and bought her as a prospect, so I think the best thing for her is to move her on to a new home where she can excel in dressage. I have seen her *PIAFFE* in Vienna reins- the first time I put them on. My jaw dropped. Anyway, in the meantime, her feet are casted and she's sound. She actually 100% sound totally barefoot on soft footing. She's ouchy on hard footing, though. She's a real love. I hope I can find her the right home.
    Last edited by vtshale; Apr. 21, 2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added more info

What level rider would she need for trail riding? Is she spooky in anyway?

I haven't trail ridden her as I don't have access trails where I board. She definitely looks at things, but I wouldn't say she's spooky. I was riding her in the outdoor and a woman walked by with a parrot squawking on her shoulder. Willow stopped, looked for a minute and then we went on our way. I would say she needs either an advanced rider, or, an advanced intermediate rider with supervision and a good trainer. She's not a beginner's horse and has limited time under saddle aside from racing.