The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HOY Wise Dan makes his 2013 debut today - watch live online

For those interested, last year's Horse of the Year - Wise Dan - will makes his return today today (FRI Apr 12th) in the Grade 1, $300,000 Maker’s 46 Mile.

Interestingly this will be the first time in Keeneland's 76-yr history that a reigning Horse of the Year makes a debut comeback at the track. Although that's misleading as the title "Horse of the Year" only originated with Ack Ack receiving the title in 1971.

A 6-yr old gelding, Wise Dan will be ridden by Jose Lezcano who is substituting for injured regular rider John Velazquez.

A small field of five will go to the post in the 9th. The Maker’s 46 set for 5:13pm EST

All Keeneland races are available for free and live at their website:

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/racing-live-coverage

BYTW his sires get also are phenom lineal jumpers with great minds...

An aside - a lovely win by the Phipps Stables owned & bred horse "Reload" (sired by Hard Spun) in the 8th race today. Earlier on the card their horse "Sea Island" was edged out by an Augustin runner. In fact Augustin Stables won races 4 & 5.

20-minutes to post for the Makers 46 Stakes .... with 1/9 odds on Wise Dan

Won by a length; Data Link 2nd.

Just watched the replay. Boy, did Lezcano have to keep the brakes on in the backstretch!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Love that horse...I am very happy to have as my riding horses relatives of his. They are all 3 kind, athletic horses who try their best.

Woohoo!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Wise Dan's older (age 7) half-brother Successful Dan had his 2013 debut in the Grade 3, $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes - April 21st. This was his first start since June of last year (off due to injury) and with Julien Leparoux up it was a masterful show of control:

“They let me go very slow the first part of it,” winning rider Julien Leparoux said. “I knew at the three-eighths pole there was no way they could catch me.”
    Video replay: Keeneland Grade 3 Ben Ali Stakes

[trainer Charlie] LoPresti said the Grade 1 Stephen Foster at Churchill Downs on June 15 would be considered for Successful Dan’s next race, but a race there would be contingent on what racing plans are drawn up for Wise Dan, who ran second in the Foster last year after winning the Ben Ali. Lopresti trains both horses for Mort Fink.

Richard's Kid got third, but man the pace was slow, and SD and Boisterous were lengths from the rest of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Wise Dan's older (age 7) half-brother Successful Dan had his 2013 debut in the Grade 3, $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes - April 21st. This was his first start since June of last year (off due to injury) and with Julien Leparoux up it was a masterful show of control:

Video replay: Keeneland Grade 3 Ben Ali Stakes
    So sad Richard's Kid has not been doing well. He's still making money, but not winning, and now down to Grade 3 races.

As an aside with Keeneland's soon to end Spring meet - could the partnership of the Ramsey owners, Mike Maker trainer, and Joel Rosario in the irons be any more potent? All three have either broken the record for the most wins for the meet in their respective category or on the verge to do so.

Joel Rosario, riding his first full Keeneland meet, is white hot. In fact (today) he's won three races and this is before the start of the sixth race. At 27-wins he's just a few wins away from spring-meet record of 32 wins by Randy Romero, set in 1990.

The Ramseys won a total of 12 races during Keeneland’s 2012 fall meet. That number tied them with Calumet, which achieved the mark in the spring of 1941, and the Robertses, who won 12 races during the 1968 fall meet. This spring they currently had 17 wins but today have gone with 4 races: 2-1-1

Mike Maker has broken Todd Pletcher's record for the most wins during a meet by a trainer at Keeneland. Todd had the record at 16 wins and Maker notched his 17th win today already with a Ramsey-owned horse, ridden by Rosario

Rather than create a new thread I'll drop this here:

Wise Dan took his 2nd Woodbine Mile today with Johnny V. neither moving a muscle or even showing Dan the crop. He dashed away from the field in the stretch like he just jumped into the race. Wicked cool run!

It appears that the time he did it in was not only a stakes but a course record too. Add to that - while geared down! - just 2/5th of a second off a world record with the time. Smoking and yet in the replay you'll see it looked absolutely effortless.

Photo at Keeneland during the auctions where people paused to watch Wise Dan's run

1 members found this post helpful.

The DRF has the Woodbine video replay already up on their site - here

An easy $600,000 paid workout

So what other horse is having as good a year as WD? Think he will be hoy 2013?

HTG, it almost looks like his ears are double jointed. They get flatter to his head within the last yards before the finish! Certainly does it his way!

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    So what other horse is having as good a year as WD? Think he will be hoy 2013?
    He'll need to win at Keeneland (if he doesn't train up to Santa Anita) and take the BC again, but accomplishing that it would be hard to deny him a repeat for HOY. I don't see anyone else as dominant as him this year. Twitter from DRF's Dan Illman

Preliminary Beyer of 108 for Horse of the Year WISE DAN in the Woodbine Mile. Nine wins in a row, 12 consecutive triple-digit Beyers.

Here is his race from yesterday...the Gr1 Ricoh Woodbine Mile. http://www.woodbineentertainment.com...es/Videos.aspx

Maybe I'm out of step with those in the know as I'm honestly surprised by the NTRA Thoroughbred Poll as of 9-16-13 which should've reflected the win in Canada - yet Wise Dan remains #2 behind Game On Dude.

Was on the road yesterday listening to HRTV on Sirius, and dropped my jaw when I heard this. Am likewise confused.

East coast/west coast thing?

Probably because Game On Dude's G1 wins were at 10 furlongs on the main track, while Dan's were at a mile on the turf.

But, personally, I'm a Dan fan through and through.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"