The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Red *might* need some jingles...

My 13-year-old Heele/Catahoula who has been my buddy, companion, and best friend since he entered my life when he was 5 1/2 weeks old did not eat a bite of his food last night. He seems fine otherwise; bright, energetic (as a geriatric dog with arthritis and a heart murmur can be), barking at the birds and booms (Fort Carson is training), drinking fine, and happy in his face. I haven't decided if he's breathing very slightly harder an louder, or if my paranoia meter is on high, but I'm watching him. He is the polar opposite of stoic, so if he's even remotely uncomfortable we know immediately.

He has never not finished a meal. He will sometimes take his time, but the norm is to scarf it down like just about every other dog out there (my other dog, yearling, has always been hit-and-miss as to how much he chooses to eat, and he's picky. Not Red!), so the fact he didn't take a single bite caught my attention. I'll offer it to him again here in a bit, as well as a treat.

IF he does need attention, I will have him seen. I am fortunate that my animal's vet is also a very close friend who will help at any waking moment. Right now I'm just asking if he can get some jingles that he's okay. We sincerely doubt he'll see 14 (late January birthday), but it's also sucky to watch out fur babies age.

I will keep you all posted how he does over the next few days. And I thank you in advance!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Blue, the blue heeler, is sending jingles to another "color-themed" cattle dog! Hope he feels like eating soon!
    "If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around." –Will Rogers

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, CMBW and Blue!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Jingling away. Not eating for my cocker was her sign that something was seriously wrong. She would eat dirt if you put it in her food bowl. I took her to the vet the next morning.

She had a gall bladder musocele. She had emergency surgery, gall bladder is out and she's fine.

However, my very picky collie sometimes doesn't eat and it's just not an emergency...she's totally in character for her. So if she skips a meal or two, I don't worry. Any more than that though, and I would run her in to the vet.

Jingles...

Oh, and by the way, Bonnie the gall bladderless cocker is 15. It was a tough decision to do the surgery, vet said it was dicey, but her quality of life was great and we decided to go for it. Best decision ever.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

When my old dog didn't eat, it was because of neck arthritis. Putting his food on a raised surface solved the problem. Have you tried that?

Samson and I are sending jingles! For all my dogs (labs), the sign was not eating = something is wrong. BUT they are/were labs... I really hope Red is maybe just tired of his food (lol) and that he will rebound quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    When my old dog didn't eat, it was because of neck arthritis. Putting his food on a raised surface solved the problem. Have you tried that?
    No, but I will! I know quite a few folks that feed this way. I will definitely go give that a try! Thank you!

wow, Laura! That was quite a situation with your cocker! Glad Bonnie did so well and will keep that in mind. Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    No, but I will! I know quite a few folks that feed this way. I will definitely go give that a try! Thank you!

wow, Laura! That was quite a situation with your cocker! Glad Bonnie did so well and will keep that in mind. Definitely!
    Don't waste money on a raised feeder...you can try putting a decorative pillow under the bowl, a cinder block, stock of books, feed on a step, etc just to see if it works. If it works, you need to then make sure you raise the water bowl too, as older dogs can get dehydrated easily.

He's tall enough I'll just use a dining chair, so no biggie there.

He did eat a treat VERY slowly, and three bites of food. I upped his amount about two weeks ago from 1 1/2 cups to 2 1/2 cups because he was starting to lose weight so three bites is crumbs. Better than nothing, though!

He has also been drinking a lot more than usual recently. I've obviously been monitoring that, too. Right now my immediate concerns revolve in a few ways:

1) he's going into congestive heart failure and these are symptoms of fluid in the pericardium. He does have a grade 2 murmur and his breathing has become rougher over the past month, or so. I'll listen in a bit and see if it has worsened (have to go get taxes signed...late because we had to wait for my husband to return from S. Africa.

2) he's going into kidney failure. The water intake and somewhat quick weight loss...

3) he and my 17-yr old cat are Innova eaters. She is currently on Science diet due to the (first time ever) recall, but his food wasn't on the list. My pessimistic side worries it's pancreatic from the food. But this is low, LOW on the list of possibilities.

And now you all also know why my son hates to mention he isn't feeling well. My radar goes into overdrive and I start looking for things! LOL! (In his case, bacterial pneumonia at age three did him no favors with mom)

Jingles from Ontario.

Last edited by lovey1121; Apr. 12, 2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: dupe

Jingling for Red. Weight loss, H2O drinking, and appetite loss-I'd bring him in asap. Hopefully its nothing serious, but best to be safe than sorry.

Jingle jingle

Jingles for your dog. Needs to go see a vet though. Sudden anorexia means somethning is NOT right. Keep us posted.

Jingles for Red

You're right, something isn't right with him. That's why I posted. I have talked to his vet (who is also a very good friend) and she wants to wait until tomorrow to see if he'll eat tonight. That is, of course, unless something changes before then.

He is napping with the youngster right now, but he has had some fun running around with the youngster, too. He also thought his daily date with the Furminator was divine. He loves that thing! Good, because his undercoat would make a husky jealous.

The good news is he just ate most of his food! He's definitely NQR, and his murmur sounds louder to me. I'll talk to vet again tonight and see when she wants to see him. Knowing her she'll drop by before going home! I think it's time for heart meds. :-/

But the big thing will be how tonight goes. If he eats, if he seems uncomfortable, if he seems like breathing is hard...you know the drill.

Ah the joys of the geriatric pet clan...

Jingles... I hope you can make some med adjustments to help him out!!

Has he seen a cardiologst, or just a GP vet? Sometimes the cardiologsts have a trick up their sleeves on how to balance heart drugs for dogs with kidney disease.

He hasn't seen a cardiologist, just his vet here. He also hasn't been diagnosed with any kidney disease. That could be different now, but I won't know for sure until he gets his check up. At 13, and being a large dog, anything goes!

He did not eat again last night, BUT considering he ate late yesterday afternoon I'm not as concerned. He's wrestling with the youngster right now. Vet and I agreed making an appointment for mid-week will suit him fine (barring need for sooner, of course).

i apologize for the delay in update today. My Command Chief Master Sergeant (retired a year ago tomorrow) passed away from Leukemia Sunday. Today was her local service (she'll be interred at Arlington). There were about 2000 people there so the reception line took a while to get through...along with chatting. I'm just getting home. Husband says Red was good all day.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for your boy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

You've had a tough week. Jingles continue for Red.