The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pedigree for a sport horse...Who has the worst name EVER! Pic!!

Not necessarily just an eventer.

I am a pedigree buff but I had to search pretty hard to get a feel for this guy. Even still, beyond the Hail to Reason and the Nijinski I am at a loss for understanding how the early generation family will play in. Though I believe but the fuzzy brain isn't sure, that Green Dancer is a good one to have.

But I LOVE the name. SO awful it's fantastic!

Have a look:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/yardsale+on+wheels

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; Apr. 12, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I really don't have a clue on that pedigree either, but I agree that the JC name is AWESOME

Yes, Green Dance is very desirable in steeplechase horses which I think tend to play well for eventers...

If it helps I can add a picture shot quickly with a cell phone.

He needs weight! We know that. He needs back and topline muscles, we know that too. He is working hard at qualifying for the "diamond in the VERY rough" competition.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10367...MTI1vGV4Om6rwE

Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; Apr. 12, 2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Updated Link to Pic
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    no permission to view

Hmmmm Try this instead. Let me know if it works.

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    no permission to view
    Me either, but I'd like to know if there's a story behind that name
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I really like him, and his name is just gravy.

I'm not great with sporthorse breeding for TBs, but wanted to chime in that we have a broodmare by BLs Appeal, and she's fantastic. If she wasn't such a good broodmare, I'd love to have her as one of my riding horses, but alas my husband (who's broodmare she is) said no, she's staying a race broodmare. She's an awesome mover, lovely conformation, super super sound, in you pocket kind of disposition, do anything you ask her to. Incredible feet, too. Only thing I can fault her with his her neck is a bit on the short side.

Your guy looks like he's going to develop into a lovely horse too.

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Hmmmm Try this instead. Let me know if it works.

Emily
    Very nice he may be all those things but he also has an awesome butt

Default an old fashioned pedigree

Lots of older names very close up in this pedigree. Other names on the page you should be happy to see are Sea-bird. Pia Star. Valid Appeal is nice and brings in In Reality and Alibhai and Alsab. Vitriolic. I would kind of expect an old fashioned TB sport horse...and he is well conformed for sport. Nice find. PatO

Very nice! I like him a lot!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I really like In Reality horses. And the Green Dancer steeplechase breeding? Can't hurt.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

1 members found this post helpful.

the Intent line is a good one; he was a son of War Relic, who was of course by Man O'War, and out of a Rock Sand granddaughter. He won the San Juan Capistrano which was a mile and half I think yet sired champion sprinter Intentionally. This is all blueblood back several generations. and British breeding as well.

Master Derby line goes to Bold Ruler - that is the Tesio bloodlines of Nearco. Bold Ruler contains Blenheim, GB horse who is in the pedigrees of a lot of sport horses. The Tetrarch is in there too -- this is a Birdsall jumping sire line horse. Bold commander incorporates a few mroe sport horse lines in Phalaris three times - he was a leading sire in England and also leading broodmare sire.

there's a name on the top of the pedigree - Olympia - that makes racing historians AND jumping people sit up. this is the Hyperion bloodline, thru the Bay Ronald -- Birdsall sire line number two. He was bred by Fred Hooper; won 15 of 41 starts including the Wood Memorial, Withers, Flamingo, and more and went off heavy favorite in the Derby to finish 6th.

Dam: the Green Dancer is Northern Dancer line. Val de Loir is French -- goes to Blandford (Irish) to Swynford (GB) a sire of a lot of horses that raced over fences I think. Oh and let's not forget the THIRD Birdsall jumping sire line...Teddy in that pedigree. And again, Phalaris appears.

Funny Fellow is Tesio on top, Nearco -- with Teddy, Phalaris, Fair Play through his dam. A stakes winner himself, his granddam was Miss Disco - dam of Bold ruler --making Funny Fellow a half brother to the greatest sire of Thoroughbreds ever. (Bold ruler by Nasrullah, Funny Fellow by Tom Fool)

Sea-bird won the Arc De Triomphe among other races, a great French champion who stood in US and France.

Distinctive incorporates Teddy and Phalaris again.
    when you go back this many generations you see a concentration of bloodlines that denotes some kind of success in competition, I think that concentrates athletic ability. While it is not rare to find a lot of crosses to common sire lines, it's a treat to find like three lines to Teddy, Phalaris, and the British bloodlines, because those were stayers and longer distance horses bred for stamina, which they don't breed for more anymore. For that reason going back a few more generations gives you a look at historical uses of the horses -- the stakes wins in the back generations are pretty significant -- and you have to equate that a bit with athletic ability.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Wow.... just wow.

Ok.... good to know there is substance in the background.

We'll see how he does. But is an absolute joy to ride.

~Emily

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    the Intent line is a good one; he was a son of War Relic, who was of course by Man O'War, and out of a Rock Sand granddaughter. He won the San Juan Capistrano which was a mile and half I think yet sired champion sprinter Intentionally. This is all blueblood back several generations. and British breeding as well.

Master Derby line goes to Bold Ruler - that is the Tesio bloodlines of Nearco. Bold Ruler contains Blenheim, GB horse who is in the pedigrees of a lot of sport horses. The Tetrarch is in there too -- this is a Birdsall jumping sire line horse. Bold commander incorporates a few mroe sport horse lines in Phalaris three times - he was a leading sire in England and also leading broodmare sire.

there's a name on the top of the pedigree - Olympia - that makes racing historians AND jumping people sit up. this is the Hyperion bloodline, thru the Bay Ronald -- Birdsall sire line number two. He was bred by Fred Hooper; won 15 of 41 starts including the Wood Memorial, Withers, Flamingo, and more and went off heavy favorite in the Derby to finish 6th.

Dam: the Green Dancer is Northern Dancer line. Val de Loir is French -- goes to Blandford (Irish) to Swynford (GB) a sire of a lot of horses that raced over fences I think. Oh and let's not forget the THIRD Birdsall jumping sire line...Teddy in that pedigree. And again, Phalaris appears.

Funny Fellow is Tesio on top, Nearco -- with Teddy, Phalaris, Fair Play through his dam. A stakes winner himself, his granddam was Miss Disco - dam of Bold ruler --making Funny Fellow a half brother to the greatest sire of Thoroughbreds ever. (Bold ruler by Nasrullah, Funny Fellow by Tom Fool)

Sea-bird won the Arc De Triomphe among other races, a great French champion who stood in US and France.

Distinctive incorporates Teddy and Phalaris again.
    when you go back this many generations you see a concentration of bloodlines that denotes some kind of success in competition, I think that concentrates athletic ability. While it is not rare to find a lot of crosses to common sire lines, it's a treat to find like three lines to Teddy, Phalaris, and the British bloodlines, because those were stayers and longer distance horses bred for stamina, which they don't breed for more anymore. For that reason going back a few more generations gives you a look at historical uses of the horses -- the stakes wins in the back generations are pretty significant -- and you have to equate that a bit with athletic ability.
    Wow... you rock! Wish you could tell me something about my mare's bloodlines.

OP... I like him a lot. Nice build, looks like an athletic type and solid. The name is icing on the cake! Good luck with him!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

If you'd like to know more about some the horses mentioned above, I did quite a bit of research into my guy's pedigree which includes lots of turf and old jumping lines from Europe. I know I've got The Tetrarch, Teddy, Hyperion, Phalaris, Blenheim, Nearco, and more! You can read their stories here:

http://www.teamflyingsolo.com/2013/0...tory-time.html

http://www.teamflyingsolo.com/2011/0...-heritage.html

I stopped at In Reality. If he is within four generations... I'm hooked. Cat like jumpng ability, great minds....very trainable. Love them. Add in green dancer and you have jump plus distance/endurance. I couldn't see the pic but I love this one based on thos two names alone.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I don't think there is a TB alive today who doesn't have Nearco. Because of his prevalence, I tend to discount him and look instead at the sons (usually) of Nearco. There are some good ones and some less good ones. I personally do not like Nearctic, but that's just me. I also don't much care for Northern Dancer, but not finding him is about as hard as not finding Nearco.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Going to look at another terrible name, but interesting pedigree!

On Tuesday I'm going to look at this horse- horrible name! I can't even think what I'd call him- "kooky"? Sure hope he isn't going to live up to his name, or if he is kooky, it's in a good way as in full of personality and not a headcase under saddle.

But, his pedigree looks pretty interesting. A half-brother to Animal Kingdom. While he has Northern Dancer on top and bottom, he also has Roberto on top and bottom (Dynaformer is the dam-sire). Blushing Groom on top and Olympia on the bottom.

He is 16.3 and grey. Big is good! (I'm 5'8"). Grey, not so good. I haven't even seen this horse yet and I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about skin cancer (one of my friends at my barn has a grey with melanoma). Now that is "Kooky"-

Pedigree thoughts appreciated!
    ~Living the life I imagined~