The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bugging the vet

My horse has a great vet! However, I think I have been bugging the the vet w too many texts about my horse's progress. The vet is very busy. Last week I requested the info on general horse owner medical guide so I can be a little more self reliant. The responses were very helpful! Thank you!

Do does anybody else feel like they bug the vet? I feel like nothing should stop me from getting my horse well, but am pretty sure it was too much.

Nope, my vet is the one who asks for progress and checks up if I have had a previous issue. He is REALLY good about that. But he does have a really schedule so I know he really truly cares. Best Vet Award EVER.
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

I try to be respectful of their time but am not afraid to ask questions. If I have questions, I will put them in an email and always thank the vet for taking the time to respond. I would not text my vet with a question unless he told me that he preferred communicating via text.

I don't think i do because I call to tell the tech just to ask him a simple question for me and they can let me know and he always calls me back to answer and ask how everybody is doing.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I would not text my vet unless he asked me to. Call if you have a problem (and if it's a real problem, pay for a farm call).

I do call my vet when I have an issue, which can be near-constantly (last spring, that means you) or never (fall and winter, you were kind to us!)

For non-emergencies I call through the answering service so he can call/speak to me at his convenience. For emergencies I have his cell but I don't use that unless i have a serious issue (i.e. Horse is choking, should I give him Banamine?)

Vets are busy, so I would be cautious about constantly contacting them. A better idea is to save your list of questions up, then ask next time you have them out to see your horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Remember that vets, like trainers and other horse professionals, tend to have their phones close and on at all hours in case of emergency. So that text you send on a whim at 2:00 am about a non-urgent issue is probably making a loud noise in their ear from the nightstand. I mention it because I've found a lot of people assume texts can be sent whenever and are read at convenience, but for those of us who work outside and who need to be reachable at all hours, that is usually not the case.

16 members found this post helpful.

I would not text my vet unless he asked me to. Call if you have a problem (and if it's a real problem, pay for a farm call).

I do call my vet when I have an issue, which can be near-constantly (last spring, that means you) or never (fall and winter, you were kind to us!)

For non-emergencies I call through the answering service so he can call/speak to me at his convenience. For emergencies I have his cell but I don't use that unless i have a serious issue (i.e. Horse is choking, should I give him Banamine?)

Vets are busy, so I would be cautious about constantly contacting them. A better idea is to save your list of questions up, then ask next time you have them out to see your horse.

Unless your vet specifically requests this kind of communication, it's much more appropriate to call his office. Many of your issues can likely be dealt with by his support staff.

I thought I'd chime in as your friendly, local equine vet!

Some people have good advice here:

1. If you have a brief question, I'm happy to answer your text, email or voicemail. But if it is a long, drawn out question about a new problem (ie one I haven't seen your horse for in the past) please just schedule a farm call. I'm happy to discuss ongoing issues (like back to work programs or stall rest or whatever) because I feel like that is part of my job to coach you through those things. But, for new issues I do need to examine your horse and speak with you (sometimes at length!) and for lengthy new discussions I do feel like that should be "on the clock"

2. Unless it's an emergency, please refrain from calling/texting/etc after hours. I don't use an answering service so my cell phone is on, turned up and near me 24/7. The text you send at 2am will wake me up.

3. Please be aware that we are busy people often (spring and fall especially!) and give us the benefit of the doubt when it takes me 24 hours to call you back on something non life threatening.

4. Ask me questions!!! I'd rather have you ask questions than let me leave while you were still unsure. Sometimes appointment scheduling doesn't give me the luxury to spend as much time as you or I would like and in that case, I will almost always invite you to call me at a later time with questions. I love love love educating people on their horse's issues and leaving someone armed with the proper information, it is truly the greater part of why I love my job.

5. If I have given you my personal cell number that means I trust you and your judgement on when to use it. Please don't give it out to others or abuse it.

6. If you have lots of questions that need answering, please take the time to sit down and compile them into groups. That avoids me having to constantly answer single questions and gives me time to sit down and thoughtfully reply. Constant single questions interrupt my workday and can sometimes be obnoxious if it happens often enough.

That's all I've got for now but I'm sure i could come up with more. That all being said, I love to communicate with my clients and my practice is small so I have the time and the luxury to do so. I <3 my job!

9 members found this post helpful.

One of the vets in the practice I use gave me her cell number to keep in contact when dealing with an issue. After the issue was resolved I promptly removed her number from my phone as I do not feel I should be bugging her on her cell with every little thing just because she gave me her number when we were dealing with this one problem. New problems/concerns are dealt with by calling the office. If I want to talk to this particular vet I leave a message for this vet, if I just want input I talk to the staff available when I call.

1 members found this post helpful.

If I have non-emergency questions, I send an e-mail and stress that my questions can be answered whenever the vet has time.

I do not text my vets, ever. I do not even have most of their phone numbers. I do have the number for the vet that helped me when my horse had anaplasmosis, specifically because we were dealing with the problem over a holiday weekend and she wanted me to be able to reach her without having to go through the after hours service. I don't think I called her more than once, just to let her know how he was doing after he started the oxytet (which she requested).

I actually board with one of my vets (she and another vet from the same practice are my "primary" vets), and I don't have her number and have never asked for it. She is extremely kind and awesome about answering questions for me or taking a quick look at something if I ask her to, but I try very hard not to abuse her kindness...when she is there, she is there to ride and enjoy her horse, so I try to just talk about horsey/riding things or totally nonhorsey things with her instead of medical things (although there is frequently overlap, lol..."He has more trouble engaging that right hind...probably because of x...so we are doing y while I ride").

I'm also Facebook friends with three of the vets from the practice I use, and I do not use FB to contact them about veterinary matters.

Boarding with the vet that I use (who is both a field vet and a surgeon), has really made me realize how hard they work and how many hours they work...day and night. They tend to lead very busy lives, be woken up at all hours, drive all over the place, and generally have very little control over their schedules.

I don't have my vet's cell number, and when he calls to let me know he's running late or to check up on a horse, it's blocked. Don't blame him. Horse people are nucking futs and he'd be SWAMPED with calls if his cell number was out and about.

But he is part of a larger practice, and there is a "service."

I just feel like they went to school and owe gobs of money in student loans and the insurance on their practice and blah blah blah... I don't think picking their brains via text is really all that fair. I wait until he's already out, and I'm paying a farm fee, to ask what he thinks about xyz or an opinion on something. If someone asks me a work related question, wanting "legal" advice (ugh) or to complain about or question a contact with law enforcement, I generally just give generic answers like "take it to court, absolutely" or "I wasn't there, I can't comment." It's like asking a doctor friend to look at a mole at a dinner party...

But that's MY opinion, and I see it's not a popular one.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

My vet did give me his cell number and it's very rare he does that. The only time I used it is when he asked me to text him some info of my epm horse that was in the trial for oroquin 10. I've never used it again because it's his personal number and I always go through the office. We have two large animal vets at this practice so even in an emergency I call the after hours number through the answering service because that's what it is for and I don't want to bug my vet on his cell of he is not on call, that's his time off and the other vet there is great also. But when he calls me from his cell that number is blocked so is tells me that it's not a call me anytime number and I believe he trust me to know that and we've never had a problem. I also have his number 1 techs number that has been with him for 20+ years but I don't bug her either.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

No, I wouldn't text my vet with these kinds of questions. I do text her to set up appointments, instead of calling the office, because she does her own scheduling. And with texting she can get back to me when she is able. And I will text her a picture of a wound or swelling, and she will let me know if she thinks she needs to take a look at it. So texting can be convenient, but it sounds like your are overdoing it.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

My vet (who has NO office or support staff), has made it clear that he would prefer we call on his cell phone rather than his "office" phone (which is just a landline voice mail that he checks about once a day, sometimes less). He checks his email at a minimum every morning.

If I have a non urgent question (or a semiurgent issue late at night), I send an email.

He always makes it clear that he would rather have us ask a question than NOT ask and have a simple situation get worse.

There is at least one time I called with what I thought was a non-urgent question, and his response was "Stay there. I am dropping everything and I'll be there in 20 minutes." (Turned out she was showing initial symptoms of something that needed to be treated promptly.)

The only time I have texted him was when I used my phone to take some pictures of the edema in Belle's leg, and I texted them to him (during the day).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by BarleyTwist View Post
    My horse has a great vet! However, I think I have been bugging the the vet w too many texts about my horse's progress. The vet is very busy. Last week I requested the info on general horse owner medical guide so I can be a little more self reliant. The responses were very helpful! Thank you!

Do does anybody else feel like they bug the vet? I feel like nothing should stop me from getting my horse well, but am pretty sure it was too much.
    If you think that you are over texting and bothering your vet, you probably are. Remember that you are one of likely one of hundreds of clients and if everybody acted like that, there would be no time to actually see cases. Let alone drive between cases.
    Send emails, save all your questions for one call, call the office and leave messages. Most vets prefer to be very communicative and available...don't punish them for it.

Unless you have a specific question, don't bother the vet. Seriously, the vet doesn't need to know that "Pookie is doing much better today! Yay Pookie!" If pookie is getting worse and you want the vet to come check on him, or if you have a specific medical question, call the office.

My vet very consciously avoids being the go-to for every little question on a whim. He has no texting on his cell phone and checks his machine at fairly regular intervals each day. He has an emergency voice pager and returns phone calls on his cell phone he doesn't generally answer. It keeps folks from getting used to having him on demand for non-emergency questions.

However, when it comes to care of the horsers he is happy to answer questions, so I have had non-emergency and no visit required questions he has answered for me. He avoids emergency calls if possible, and if you're boarding at a barn with a lot of horses and he can he groups you with other visits so the cost of the trip is split (and it makes him more efficient so he can see more horses/day as well.)

This is the same vet I have used since I needed one for the vet check on my first horse in 1986, and I appreciate the job he does of keeping boundaries, since at times I have worked with other vets when a boarding facility used one vet, or when I was out of town. When it comes to follow up on a horse, even if it's a weekend he has someone else covering for him, he will call and check in on how things are. Any time he has had visits where my horse's condition might change over the next days/weeks, he has called me to check in if I didn't call him first.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I wouldn't text, email or call a vet unless they specifically requested an update. I treat my vet as I would my doctor. The MD cares if I do something stupid and get hurt, not if I fart sideways. I assume the same for the vet. As someone else said, if you think you're being a pest, you probably are.

I don't speak to the vet unless I'm at an appointment (barn or office) or there is a specific thing I'm calling about (in fact the only time I ever even spoke to the vet down here at all was over the phone as I usually wasn't at the barn when she came, and it was about something she'd already seen him for while the BO was present.) They don't owe me free question and answers at all hours.