The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do leather galloping boots exist anymore?

They would be just the thing for hacking my horse, but I can't find any for the life of me. Are they simply not made anymore? Can I still buy them, and if yes, where?
    I've found plastic-shelled boots with leather lining (Veredus) and many companies make leather boots with fleece/rubber/neoprene/foam linings, but I want leather/leather with closed fronts. (Like the ones from a long time ago with all the buckles.)

If I'm out of luck, do the Antares leather boots hold up to everyday use? I'm looking for boots I can hack in a sand arena, on a dirt track, and through light brush with. Not expecting a lot of support or anything, just protection from nicks/dings that won't cook her tendon in the heat or pick up foxtails like all of the synthetic materials used to line boots today. The old-fashioned leather ones would be perfect.

TIA!

E. Jeffries makes them I believe. I've seen them on ebay from time to time. There's a set of open fronts on ebay now. IIRC E. Jeffries are similar Beval's leather boots. Nice quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Jeffries-L...item3f190f2394

Check ebay from time to time. This would probably be a good thread for the eventing forum since most H/J people use open fronts.

Thank you! For the recommendation and the advice about asking this over on the eventing forum.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Pessoa used to have them not very long ago. Bu theirs may have been open fronts. I know foxhunters use all leather for preference, so you might also ask on the foxhunter forum.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Prestige makes some...I think VTO carries them.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Devocoux, Prestige, sabre, thinline, as well as others. Check ebay, you can get them pretty darn cheap as they aren't popular really. I have an old pair and personally like them for conditioning rides as they don't attract stickers.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Heartland Saddlery has some, on sale for a fabulous price to boot!

http://www.heartlandsaddlery.com/sea...abre&x=37&y=13

I believe that the Sabre boots are actually quite well regarded by the eventing set across the pond.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I believe that the OP wants boots that are not neoprene nor gel nor fleece lined. All the Sabre boots have a neoprene lining.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Apparently reading comprehension is not doing well today. Lol

OP - if you are willing to consider non leather boots the NEW equine brushing boots with fleece or the Toklat valenas will not cook legs and will keep the sand out.

This kind of boot is what I'm looking for! All leather...I think it's going to be a difficult search, lol! And yes, Mouse, I agree about the reading comprehension, haha.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Yep, the leather lining is also important... foxtails stick to neoprene and foam very easily. If the Sabre boots were leather lined, they would be so perfect! Looks like if I want all leather, I am stuck with Antares, Devocoux, Prestige, or CWD leather open-fronts or "equitation" boots. I wonder how well they'll hold up?
    Thanks for all the replies!

I just bought a pair of Devoucoux closed front leather boots and love them.