The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trouble with Herm Sprenger Hole Punch?

I've got a dumb question. I purchased the HS hole puncher, and while it seems great, I cannot move the punches to save my life. I've pushed, pulled, cursed, and even took a screw driver to it. What is the trick or do I own some kind of lemon?

Has anyone else had this issue?

I thought Sprenger made stirrups and bits? Clearly, hole punches are not their thing..... And I bet it cost a pretty penny.

Hope you get it figured out!

I could not find a good, detailed photo but it looks like there is "catch" on the sprocket side of the punch. This holds the sprocket in position. It must be released for the sprocket to turn.

If the catch is frozen you might try some BreakFree penetrating oil. That will unstick a lot of stuff.

I could not find any on line "directions" for release of the catch and the photos are just not detailed enough to see just how it works. You might try the folks you bought it from.

Actually, once you get it working, it looks like a pretty good piece of gear. The handles look a bit longer giving you more leverage and making use easier.

Good luck with the device.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I had one, it was very difficult to change the positions, then it ended up completely rusting in my tack truck so into the garbage it went.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Is this a compound punch? Black punch with white writing only on one side of the handle?

Put it writing side up, and with some effort the punch wheel will rotate counterclockwise and click into place. If it has sat for awhile, a little WD40 may be in order.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Is this a compound punch? Black punch with white writing only on one side of the handle?

Put it writing side up, and with some effort the punch wheel will rotate counterclockwise and click into place. If it has sat for awhile, a little WD40 may be in order.
    Yes it is. I tried to undo the catch on the side with a screwdriver, and can't even get the screw to turn. I give up, back in the box it goes!

Mine rotates quite easily, so not sure what the problem with yours is? If you hold it with the writing on the left side and face-up, try to turn the wheel forward. It should slide and click right into place. If yours doesn't turn, you probably have a lemon.

I LOVE my Herm Sprenger hole punch! It is orders of magnitude easier to use than any other hole punch I've used--no more standing on the hole punch or pounding it with a hammer in order to get it to punch one little hole! It slices through the leather like a hot knife through butter.

2 members found this post helpful.

Could you take it to a hardware or farm store and get someone to look it over for you? Easier and cheaper than giving up, and when they work they are much nicer than standard 15$ cheepos from China. I BENT a cheap one trying to do 6 holes in a fairly standard leather strap.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I was at a tack store yesterday to have a name plate put on a halter and the TS owner said that is all she uses. She them preceded to punch through a double layer of leather without hardly trying. I borrowed it to put a new hole in my belt and I could not believe how easily it punched through. I am getting one.

1 members found this post helpful.

By far the best hole punch around - I couldn't manage without mine. Mine rotates easily. I second taking it to a hardware store and have a handy chap called Bob take a look at it for you. Don't give up !

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Ours is over 30 years old, and still works like a new one. Has it ever been lubricated?

Mine also turns quite easily, and I have never lubricated it. You noticed the arrow on the punch head, correct? It is only meant to turn one way.
    If you can't unstick it, start with WD-40, then try penetrating oil. Still no luck? Where did it come from...can you send it back?
    Good luck! Mine works great and I love it. Hopefully you can get it figured out!

Just seconding all the people who love their HS hole punchers. I've never had any problem rotating mine. Totally superior product to the old kind.

I always offer to pierce my lesson kids' noses. So far, no takers.