The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Halter Suggestions?

I'm looking for a new halter for the show season (regular, not grooming halter) and am having a tough time finding something that fits the bill. I'm willing to spend up to $200 or so...

Requirements are supple leather, padded, havana in colour, and fancy stitch would be nice too.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Smartpak won't ship to my neck of the woods in the PNW so anything they carry that is their own brand won't work for me

Walsh padded, fancy stitched, brass, leather halter. It is soft and just beautiful. Honestly one of the most gorgeous halters I have ever carried and the most popular with show barns (that we sell to.) Best of all they are well under $200.00 but don't look it. Good luck!

Walsh. There isn't anything better.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

1 members found this post helpful.

Walsh - always
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Walsh. Love them. That is all I recommend.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Walsh padded fancy stitch. They are around $150. I love mine.

walsh all the way <3

Walsh is awesome but I also really like the Perri's padded leather halters. Some of the colors are kind of... out there, LOL, but they have some conservative colors too. I've got the Havana with blue padding. It has lasted a good long while and I'm pleased with it. $99.95 if you buy online, but a lot of local tack shops can special order it also.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Honestly... I have one from Northrun that is gorgeous. And KL Select makes a version as well. Walsh are awesome and the tried and true. Sadly I have one of each of these... it's not an obsession I swear...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quillin makes the best halters ever and at a reasonable price. You cannot beat their quality. I have several of these halters and will never buy any other brand.

http://quillin.com/

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Walsh is awesome but I also really like the Perri's padded leather halters. Some of the colors are kind of... out there, LOL, but they have some conservative colors too. I've got the Havana with blue padding. It has lasted a good long while and I'm pleased with it. $99.95 if you buy online, but a lot of local tack shops can special order it also.
    I have two of the Perri's padded leather halters - the Havana with pumpkin padding for my OTTB bay mare - the colors are gorgeous and they work well together with bays. I also have the Havana with lime padding - bought it for my old guy who is now gone - I got that for a super cheap close-out price. The pumpkin one I found on Amazon for less than $70. The leather is super soft and high quality. I liked them so much I bought a black with red padding leather dog collar for my mostly black dog .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Walsh Fancy Stitched halters are beautiful, and fit well within your budget. They last forever!

Five Star Tack also has a beautiful new halter if you want something a bit more unique...the design is very eye catching. The halter itself is $160, and you can get a matching leather lead for $40. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
    (If you can't see facebook for whatever reason, it tells you to email sales@fivestartack.com - the halter's not on the website. Even if you don't have a tack shop near you, she ought to be able to help you out.)