The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect10 View Post
    Some horses do have extra sensitive skin. I owned one. Even my leg could make him bleed. We were incredibly careful about monitoring his sides, but sometimes just one ride could irritate him to the point that he would bleed. The vet couldn't figure it out, and it was something we tried many many times to find a solution for.
    I am really sorry that my post came across the wrong way. I did not mean to imply that some horses don't have sensitive skin that would result in rubs/raw marks despite the best of care and proper riding. I absolutely know this happens! My post was in reference to the numerous horses I've seen at shows with raw/bleeding sides. Quite frankly, they are often LTD to make them quiet and then the rider slaps on a pair of spurs (that s/he often has no business wearing anyway!) to make the horse "go". It's unfair, and something I've seen all too often. A far cry from the occasional horse who legitimately has sensitive skin.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

I think that I know both the steward and the show...but not the OP. Steward is fantastic. Notices things that no one else does. Has excused my DD from a class with such grace, dignity, and compassion (for not wearing a collar in a jumper class...forgive us, it was freezing cold and we honestly didn't know better at the time!) that I will love that woman forever. OP is not exaggerating...hundreds of horses at this show, and very possible that a few has raw sides. One of the horses DD rides has the same....in our case, the rubs are well below where DDs legs reach...but, nevertheless, sensitive horse, new leasor who isn't yet experienced with use of spurs. DD and I attempt to heal, trainer educates (and takes away the spurs for awhile).

It would be nice if everyone was born with the wealth of knowledge that some of you have. Not all were born to horsey parents and were riding at the age of six. I don't ride and DD didn't ride until she was nearly 13. Thankfully, individuals like the steward mentioned by the OP care enough to educate.

The end.

4 members found this post helpful.

A steward would have no business checking a bit in the schooling area. There are no regulations as to what you can school in. In the class, the judge would make the determination, and it would be pretty hard to do from a distance. I have trouble envisioning a martingale being so long as to be dangerous.

I agree that there is a HUGE lack of knowledge about what a steward's job is. They are supposed to be familiar with, and enforce, the rules, but not personal agendas. I wish they would be a little more vigilant on helmet use. I still see people riding on the show grounds in baseball caps.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by julipido View Post
    I think that I know both the steward and the show...but not the OP. Steward is fantastic. Notices things that no one else does. Has excused my DD from a class with such grace, dignity, and compassion (for not wearing a collar in a jumper class...forgive us, it was freezing cold and we honestly didn't know better at the time!) that I will love that woman forever. OP is not exaggerating...hundreds of horses at this show, and very possible that a few has raw sides. One of the horses DD rides has the same....in our case, the rubs are well below where DDs legs reach...but, nevertheless, sensitive horse, new leasor who isn't yet experienced with use of spurs. DD and I attempt to heal, trainer educates (and takes away the spurs for awhile).

It would be nice if everyone was born with the wealth of knowledge that some of you have. Not all were born to horsey parents and were riding at the age of six. I don't ride and DD didn't ride until she was nearly 13. Thankfully, individuals like the steward mentioned by the OP care enough to educate.

The end.
    But it is because of this lack of knowledge that stewards are expected to act on things they are not allowed to act on, and given props for doing so. Their job is spelled out in the USEF rules, so it isn't hard to become knowledgeable.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I wish they would be a little more vigilant on helmet use. I still see people riding on the show grounds in baseball caps.
    Really? A year later?? One would think that would be a pretty obvious call to make for any steward.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I agree that there is a HUGE lack of knowledge about what a steward's job is.
    Especially on the part of the stewards. The last rated H/J show I went to, they were doing pony measurements and I somehow managed to get roped in to help a trainer (known to me but not my trainer) help with a wiggly pony. When we finally got beastie stood up correctly, I *swear* to you, steward vaguely and tremulously moved the stick up and down the withers and timidly said to trainer, "Is this position O.K.?"

If they can't fricking MEASURE, which is 95% of their job nowadays, they shouldn't be stewards! I was kind of horrified TBH No wonder so many trainers think they can get away with measuring honies as larges.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Especially on the part of the stewards. The last rated H/J show I went to, they were doing pony measurements and I somehow managed to get roped in to help a trainer (known to me but not my trainer) help with a wiggly pony. When we finally got beastie stood up correctly, I *swear* to you, steward vaguely and tremulously moved the stick up and down the withers and timidly said to trainer, "Is this position O.K.?"

If they can't fricking MEASURE, which is 95% of their job nowadays, they shouldn't be stewards! I was kind of horrified TBH No wonder so many trainers think they can get away with measuring honies as larges.
    Eh... I'm not saying it's right, but the steward likely *knows* how to measure. They were obviously just making sure the trainer got the measurement they wanted.

One steward I know always measures in what she calls the "dippity-doo" right in front of their wither. That knocks a good inch off the height whenever she does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Eh... I'm not saying it's right, but the steward likely *knows* how to measure. They were obviously just making sure the trainer got the measurement they wanted.

One steward I know always measures in what she calls the "dippity-doo" right in front of their wither. That knocks a good inch off the height whenever she does it.
    Under normal circs I'd say you were correct BUT this trainer was very local and no-name - had not in fact shown a pony at the "A"s for at least a decade. I happened to know her b/c we lived in the same small town for a while, but there's no way this steward would have felt like she needed to do this trainer any favors at all. Plus the pony was clearly going to measure the correct height - it was WELL within the limits. So again, no reason to be "negotiating" over the placement of the stick. Steward certainly acted like it was the first pony measurement she had ever done.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

You all are quick to complain about Stewards anonymously, but how about filling out Official's Evaluation forms. There is a USEF Steward/TD Committee and we are looking to help Stewards or TDs who don't do their job correctly, but we don't know who they are unless you tell us. Most of us would never be intimidated by a particular trainer, most of keep an eye on schooling areas, the welfare of the horse and the needs of management, judges and exhibitors. I like to chat with everyone, just to let them know in that way that I'm available, around and approachable. But you need to help us know if someone is not doing their job or overstepping the bounds of the rules. Even a phone call or email to a committee member will help.

2 members found this post helpful.

Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Case in point, I recently noticed someone lunging a horse at the show with the lunge line tied around his waist while he was texting or talking on his cell phone.

Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Shaking my head at the thought that somebody could actually be *that* stupid.

After a life time in horses, just about NOTHING surprises me anymore. The vein of stupid that runs through some people and the fact that there aren't MORE serious horse related injuries is just proof of the intervention of higher powers, angels, or something. Maybe the horse gods are sitting around shaking their heads at the complete idiocy of some and intervening...IDK, but someone tied to their horse to facilitate texting...nah, I wouldn't be surprised.

About 2 weeks ago I watched an idiot tie her green mount to the DOOR HANDLE of an older model truck...remember the old school, chrome/metal handles with the thumb press button? Yeah this fool TIED the horse to that - USING THE REINS. Thank the horse gods or whomever that young greenie had more sense than it's adult rider and just stood there. Little mare was probably thinking: "This woman is an idiot; I can punish her but then I might hurt myself; I'll just wait for another opportunity b/c I'm sure one will be available."

That's the difference between stupidity and genius: genius has limits; stupidity does not.

As for the legitimacy of the post...salt with the understanding that sometimes we aren't really seeing what we think we are.