The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Would a too short or too long martingale fall into the category of "dangerous"? I would have thought that stewards would have discretion if the equipment was dangerous. Perhaps the steward had the rider's permission to adjust instead of dismissing.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

What show was this?

1 members found this post helpful.

Shenanigans - I'm calling it.

I often observe that martingales are typically to short as opposed to long. I have nothing else to add except that...

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Shenanigans - I'm calling it.
    Just a quick question ... why would the OP lie? What does the poster have to gain? After all the post was a relatively positive one so I don't see what the point is in making up a story - just saying.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Just a quick question ... why would the OP lie? What does the poster have to gain? After all the post was a relatively positive one so I don't see what the point is in making up a story - just saying.
    I don't believe that what the OP is describing actually went on, but I don't think the OP is lying either. I think the original post is a mixture of exaggeration, conjecture, and lack of knowledge. This is how I feel about most of the posts on this board. Much of what I read here is taken with several boulders of salt.

9 members found this post helpful.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by MonterStables View Post
    The one time I saw a steward was when a girl in my row at a show had to get her horse tested after being Reserve Champion in the Large Juniors. .
    Huh? Why would the steward be there?
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Perhaps as a way to say what she would like to see and to express what she thinks a steward should do.

Nothing she says she saw happen are the duties of the steward.

Perhaps as a way to say what she would like to see and to express what she thinks a steward should do.

Nothing she says she saw happen are the duties of the steward.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolor View Post
    Absolutely wrong. Manual poling is expressly prohibited by USEF rules. Here is a guide to what you can and cannot do while jumping at a USEF sanctioned horse show.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...6R4nZhjMBLmGaQ
    Use of poling via offsets is legal for hunters and this is a discussion about hunters

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    Use of poling via offsets is legal for hunters and this is a discussion about hunters
    Manual poling is prohibited in the hunter discipline. Offsets with bamboo is permissible for hunters at the show's discretion. That is what is in the link I posted. Really, that guide is something everyone on here should read since there seems to be a lack of understanding of this set of rules. And your original post said "poling is USEF legal." Not correct.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

And I would say, if the steward did all of these things, she would NEVER be hired again by any show manager that wanted entries....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    I don't believe that what the OP is describing actually went on, but I don't think the OP is lying either. I think the original post is a mixture of exaggeration, conjecture, and lack of knowledge. This is how I feel about most of the posts on this board. Much of what I read here is taken with several boulders of salt.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    The problem with this is you are incorrect about what a steward is responsible for. While you may think they should do various tasks what matters is the rules, not a mistaken POV.
    As noted by others every USEF show has to have a steward. A and AA shows may have more than one steward plus schooling supervisors.
    The steward interfaces with show management, not the exhibitor UNLESS the exhibitor wants to clarify a rule. Then the steward gets involved.
    You mention seeing a steward after a horse was declared Res Champion and had been selected to be drug tested.
    Typically the steward is not involved with the testing process. The USEF assigned technicians contact the exhibitor or the trainer as the horse leaves the ring.
    If the exhibitor is behaving badly and not cooperating the steward can get involved in order to file a charge against the exhibitor ( sometimes unsportsmanlike behavior).
    Not true. If the steward witnesses "bad" or unsafe behavior the steward ABSOLUTELY can communicate directly with the exhibitor without interfacing with show management. It's the steward's job to enforce the rules, not show management. Case in point, I recently noticed someone lunging a horse at the show with the lunge line tied around his waist while he was texting or talking on his cell phone. I reported this unsafe (and stupid) behavior to the show steward, who promptly told the groom or trainer to cut it out.

There is absolutely no reason why a steward would randomly check tack at a rated h/j show. Having said that, there are some instances, like FEI classes where tack is checked. Dressage and eventing have staff (not stewards or TD's) who often are volunteers who check bits prior to rider performing their dressage test - the reason is not because of safety or animal welfare but because only certain types of bits are allowed in dressage. I've been to many many a horse show and never have I seen bloody spur marks on a horse and I can't recall a horse having a bloody mouth due to a bit. I've also been to plenty of shows where the stewards are fully engaged w/ exhibitors. That is their job = to cruise around the show grounds... the steward's role is often to be a mediator for exhibitors and show management. Judges, not stewards determine a horse's soundness.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Case in point, I recently noticed someone lunging a horse at the show with the lunge line tied around his waist while he was texting or talking on his cell phone.
    Shaking my head at the thought that somebody could actually be *that* stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Shaking my head at the thought that somebody could actually be *that* stupid.
    I'm shaking my head that you completely believe this took place just because it was posted on the internet.

Do people really just automatically believe everything that is posted on the internet is true like that Allstate commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    I'm shaking my head that you completely believe this took place just because it was posted on the internet.
    Note my use of the words "at the thought somebody could be that stupid." As in, it's possible someone could be that dumb. That's all. I didn't see it, so I don't know for a fact it happened. Just as I didn't see a steward behave as described in the original post, so I don't know for a fact what happened there, either.

Now I'm shaking my head that some people on this BB have gotten so quick to point fingers. At anything.

And I'll add this for good measure.

I recall a guy who was killed some years ago when he was grazing a horse with the lead rope looped around the back of his neck. So it is an unfortunate fact that people can do some incredibly dumb, unsafe things around horses.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I've been to many many a horse show and never have I seen bloody spur marks on a horse and I can't recall a horse having a bloody mouth due to a bit.
    I am sad to say that I have seen this several times at A rated shows. The story usually goes that the particular horse has "extra sensitive skin", blah blah blah. It's there, just look for it. Sad but true.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Quote Originally Posted by CAJumper View Post
    I am sad to say that I have seen this several times at A rated shows. The story usually goes that the particular horse has "extra sensitive skin", blah blah blah. It's there, just look for it. Sad but true.
    Some horses do have extra sensitive skin. I owned one. Even my leg could make him bleed. We were incredibly careful about monitoring his sides, but sometimes just one ride could irritate him to the point that he would bleed. The vet couldn't figure it out, and it was something we tried many many times to find a solution for.