The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do with an only foal?

You give them a dog of course I feel so bad that our colt is an only child right now until our other mare foals in June. So in the mean time, our year old Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) spends the day, keeping watch, entertaining him and being his chew toy. She is more tolerant than his mom!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	37967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	37968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	540.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	37969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	663.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	37970  
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

3 members found this post helpful.

That is so sweet!
    I can't help but be a bit worried in case a predatory instinct in your dog kicks in, though I'm sure you know your dog and wouldn't take chances. He's just so BIG!

I had a goofball Great Dane that I would have trusted to play with a foal, but my gelding was older when my Dane came along and he (the gelding) had no tolerance for dogs in his paddock or pasture (he didn't mind them at all out hacking, so it was a territorial thing).

Your foal is looking great! Congratulations!

Keep the progress pics of your foal coming!

A buyer of one of my foals gave him a pair of mini donkeys as pasture mates. From what I have heard they are doing fine even now as a yearling.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    That is so sweet!
    I can't help but be a bit worried in case a predatory instinct in your dog kicks in, though I'm sure you know your dog and wouldn't take chances. He's just so BIG!

I had a goofball Great Dane that I would have trusted to play with a foal, but my gelding was older when my Dane came along and he (the gelding) had no tolerance for dogs in his paddock or pasture (he didn't mind them at all out hacking, so it was a territorial thing).

Your foal is looking great! Congratulations!

Keep the progress pics of your foal coming!
    Yes, Brook is a very big girl. Luckily she is a giant baby. The breed (Cane Corso) is actually an ancient breed, originating from Italy, whom found themselves living and working for Italian Farmers. On the farms they protected the livestock from both human thieves and animal predators, also doubling as a guard dog for homes and estates. The breed was almost went extinct with the decline of farming and agriculture in Italy.
    Here is a great article that tells more about the breed.
    http://www.oldworldcanecorso.com/breedhistory.html
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

1 members found this post helpful.

Very sweet

I've just been watching the foals outside my window (not my horses) and one is zooming around chasing birds instead of playing with the other foals. Been making me smile

My Great Dane thinks all the foals are his own personal babies

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

One of my broodmares had to have colic surgery 20 hours post foaling one year and couldn't be turned out until the foal was 3 months old. We would hand graze her each day so the foal could run and play. He was pretty convinced he and the dog were the same species.

Can only see one photo but what a beautiful foal

Quote Originally Posted by ticofuzzy View Post
    My Great Dane thinks all the foals are his own personal babies

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

One of my broodmares had to have colic surgery 20 hours post foaling one year and couldn't be turned out until the foal was 3 months old. We would hand graze her each day so the foal could run and play. He was pretty convinced he and the dog were the same species.
    How cute is that
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I love your pictures. My Scout was also a friend for the foals - she would tip toe into their stalls (keeping one eye on mom, just in case) to say hello when they were just newborns. She'd guard them, fascinated, in the yard. Like your corso, she was a breed bred to guard the livestock and the property, from predators or humans. A Bouvier.
    When I'd hack out out alone, she'd gollow me to the edge of the property, then return to the barnyard, "on duty" till I returned. I could not persuade her to follow me when she had multiple charges at home. She also would patrol the perimeter against coyotes and coywolves, and she took out a big racoon once with one twist. I miss her. It is heartwarming to see your foal with his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I love your pictures. My Scout was also a friend for the foals - she would tip toe into their stalls (keeping one eye on mom, just in case) to say hello when they were just newborns. She'd guard them, fascinated, in the yard. Like your corso, she was a breed bred to guard the livestock and the property, from predators or humans. A Bouvier.
    When I'd hack out out alone, she'd gollow me to the edge of the property, then return to the barnyard, "on duty" till I returned. I could not persuade her to follow me when she had multiple charges at home. She also would patrol the perimeter against coyotes and coywolves, and she took out a big racoon once with one twist. I miss her. It is heartwarming to see your foal with his friend.
    I love a Bouvier! My mom had a friend who bred and showed them many years ago. It is so neat to get to see them do what they were bred for centuries to do. Sounds like your girl was a great addition to your farm too
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube