The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Samshield helmets?

What are your opinions on them?

pros and cons?

are they getting popular in the circuit?

do they have venting?

I'm looking at the shadow matte one, and can't decide whether to get that or the CO gr8. I've gone through 2 first lasdies, and wont be getting gpa.

My sister has one! She absolutely loves it - she says that she can feel the breeze on her forehead when she rides! They are certainly beautiful helmets, and they hold up very well against lots of dust and accidental dropping. Its been dropped multiple times and there not a single mark (she has the alcantara with the leather on top). I think that they are getting very popular on the circuit! Lots of the people are wearing them at the big shows. I have the AYR8, which is nice, but not nearly as much ventilation as the samshield. But they do run pretty round (not as much as the GPAs though). If my head wasn't so oval definitely get a samshield. Good luck in your search!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielabrown View Post
    I'm looking at the shadow matte one, and can't decide whether to get that or the CO gr8. I've gone through 2 first lasdies, and wont be getting gpa.
    Just curious as the owner of a First Lady - how have you "gone through" two of them already? Is this strictly just from falling off? You make it sound like some sort of GPA flaw - if it's strictly from smacking your head, what's preventing you from getting another of their brand? GPA is pretty good about giving you a deeply discounted replacement in most cases where the helmet is damaged from a fall.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am also curious as to what happened with your GPAs. I've had mine for about 8 years so I'm due to go helmet shopping, interested to hear everyone's opinions on all the current options.

I tried the CO wellington, GPA, & Ayr8... I finally went with Samshield and am thrilled. If you have a large round bobble head... this is the helmet for you!

I love mine. They have padding that can be taken out and washed or replaced if needed. They are stylish and comfortable- I have had mine for about 2 years and have had no problems with it. They do have vents but they are small so they don't let it in rain. I don't ever have to worry about sweat in the inside because they stay very cool. I have seen many of them in the jumpers for the past few years and they are growing more popular in the hunters now. I wouldn't go back to any other helmet after having this one.
    www.jodsonline.com- Proud sister of the owner of JODS, providing quality equestrian apparel. Check it out!

I am also in the market for a new helmet and interested in comments on Samshield. I have a Titium which I have really liked but it is now several years old and I am in need of a new one. I have been thinking getting another GPA but do not particularly like the harness part of the newer helmets and have wondered about the Samshield. Ventilation is my concern there. It is good looking but intereted in safety and cool air . Where can I try them? Was just in a good tack shop earlier this week and didn't see any... thanks!

I loved the looks of the Samshield, but not the price, as someone who rides lots of greenies and is anal about replacing my helmet after a fall or a particularily hard drop.

I ended up going with the One K. Awesome ventilation, comfortable fit, removeable liners, similar look and half the price. They have a billion colors and finishes and even bling ones. Worth a look.

2 members found this post helpful.

They are stylish and comfortable for those who have the 'right' head for the Samshield fit. I needed a new helmet and went into the Beval store, which is my local tack shop and carries a variety of brands. While I love the way they look on others, they didn't look good or fit well on my head. I bought a new GPA as that's what fit my head and is comfortable. The Samshield is very popular and IMO very stylish. Just be sure you try one on so you can be sure it will be the proper fit for your head.

I tried on both a Samshield and a One K and ended up with the One K. It just seemed to fit me much better and the vents are a lot more streamlined so it didn't look as big on my head as a Samshield. The One K has great ventilation and I love the removable liners and the fact that I can change the size of the One K just by switching out liners (a must for someone who likes to change her hair style with the seasons!) And of course...the price for my One K was cheaper than the Samshield.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I love mine. It's the most flattering helmet I've ever worn, as well as the most comfortable and best fitting. I second the poster who said they'll never own another helmet. I have the Shadow Matte and I show in the hunters in it. I get a lot of compliments on it, actually.

I also have a Samshield and LOVE it. It fits me beautifully and I never sweat in it which always seemed to be a problem with my CO.

I have had one for a year and I LOVE it. I can honestly say that this might be the first helmet that actually fits me.

I have no cons! I've received many compliments on it.

The venting is so good in this helmet! I actually laughed my first ride or two on it... I was not used to the woosh woosh woosh of the air on my head (I could actually hear it!). My previous hat was a GPA and I never would have even known it had vents compared to my Samshield.

An interesting note... I have worn a size 7 1/4 in almost every helmet I have ever owned (I might have had a 7 1/8 Charles Owen hunt cap that squeezed my brains). I don't know why, but my Samshield is a 7. I joked that it was vanity sizing, but I really am pretty sure it's probably because this hat actually fits me properly.

Actually, my first one came cracked when they shipped it to me, so i returned it and got the one I have now. a couple month ago, I had a bad fall and it cracked.

I've got one and I like it quite a bit. The ventilation is quite good and it is comfortable to wear. I love how there is the cut-out in the padding right at the front of the forehead...I always get pressure marks and headaches from all other helmets, and this isn't a problem with the design of the Samshield. For the life of me, though, I cannot get my hair to stay up in this helmet. Not sure what the problem is, as I've never had this issue before!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielabrown View Post
    Actually, my first one came cracked when they shipped it to me, so i returned it and got the one I have now. a couple month ago, I had a bad fall and it cracked.
    Interesting. Good to note.

dont get the samshield please i really really dont like the look of it (certain people look good) its dorky (ha ha) and smushes people down almost, making them seen heavier and shorter. my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjumpereq2 View Post
    dont get the samshield please i really really dont like the look of it (certain people look good) its dorky (ha ha) and smushes people down almost, making them seen heavier and shorter. my opinion
    If it fits and looks good on the OP, then why shouldn't she get it? You said you're a trainer on the other thread... I'd never ride with a trainer who told me not to buy a particular brand of helmet because it's "dorky".

I think I look pretty good in mine and other people have told me as much: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...21491406_n.jpg

I HATE the 'hunter' style Samshield (the one that looks kinda suede-y) Just not a good look. It looks bizarre that the brim is not at all separate from the helmet (with no line there breaking them up). Though this is the same in the plastic looking ones it for some reason looks much better.

I got an Antares as my last helmet (debated between the speed air and Antares. They only had the 'hunter' style samshields at the store while I was looking so they weren't even on my list). The Antares has the same forehead vent (where it doesn't touch the forehead, plus has some vents in other parts of the helmet)

LOVE them. Helmet shopping rght now, and tried on the GPA, Antares and Samshield. I have a GR8 rght now, but I need to replace it for showing. So far the samshield is winning. Comfortable, light and I thnk it looks good (shadow matte).