The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter/Jumper Barns in Allegheny County, PA

I posted before asking about barns in Centre County, PA as I may be relocating in the near future. I'm a junior rider looking for a solid, reputable trainer who has some decent school horses (at least temporarily, I would be interested in leasing a horse for the 2'6 and eventually the 3' if possible) and travels to C, A, and AA rated shows. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

The only barn I can think of actually in Allegheny County that meets your description is Bar Gee. It's been a long time since I lived in Pgh, so others might have popped up over time. Do you mean "Pittsburgh area" or are you really set on Allegheny County?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'd check out Bargee Farms, with Barbie Bancroft in Allison Park. They do have some very nice school horses that are capable of upper level lessons and they go to a bunch of rated shows. Their facility is goorgeous too.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Second vote for Bargee is you're relocating to the Pittsburgh area. You can PM me with any questions. There's another barn in the area (Blackburn? Cindy McCullough's place?) that I think frequents rated shows too, but I don't know anyone there to verify that. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh is short of trainers that are at the top of their game but we have a ton of local yokels that can make all your 2 foot dreams come true!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone! vxf111, exact location is kind of up in the air right now, so I'm not necessarily limited to barns in the Pittsburgh area. I'm looking anywhere in Allegheny County.

I guess what I am trying to say is that adjacent counties may be more horsey and you may prefer to live there depending on where you commute. I know of more barns in the area and in different counties than close in to the city.
    ~Veronica

Horse on Course Equestrian Center in Valencia, PA gets my vote. The facility is top notch with a warm insulated indoor. It hosts our area PHA horse show, so the rings are ample with good footing. Best of all, the care is the best I have ever come across. The owner, Dyann Hermann, cares for each boarder as if it were her own pet. And, she does everything with a warm smile. You are allowed to use your choice of trainers if you care to bring one in, but there is no need to do so. Ahna Cafaro, who trained many of the Pittsburgh area champions last year, is on staff to train on one of the barn's school horses or your own.
    And, the price is reasonable for the care your horse gets. Lots of turn-out too.

Quote Originally Posted by golde lily View Post
    Horse on Course Equestrian Center in Valencia, PA
    Isn't that Butler County, not Allegheny County? I'm not clear why the county is so critical, but it sounds like the OP is fixed on being in Allegheny County!?
    ~Veronica

It is JUST over the line into Butler County--but I would drive many miles out of my way for the facility and the care.

I would too, I would never restrict a barn search by county. Maybe "commute time" from a destination or miles... but not county. But the OP seems to want to?
    ~Veronica

Allegheny county is kind of limiting when some of the best barns are just outside the line! I third Bargee and Cindy McCoullough, I don't know the trainer at Horse on Course but it is a nice facility. Are there any barns left in the South Park area? Washington County maybe as well?

It has been over 10 years since I last lived in Allegheny Co, and the only true "A" show barn was Bargee. I rode there for a bit, and it was quite nice.

There used to be a barn in South Park, I think it was called Quail Hollow?

I leased a horse in 2007 to a client of a trainer north of Pittsburgh, Linda Stevens, at Fox Hollow Farm. They certainly did "A" shows in the area (the horse did the 3'6" jrs & eq).

I have heard good things about Horse on Course.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Never knew you have lived in Pgh?!
    ~Veronica

Sent you a PM.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Never knew you have lived in Pgh?!
    Yes, I grew up in Allegheny Co! Both of my parents were born there, and they still live there half of the year (they have a place in Naples, FL too). I only moved to VA after graduating from college (PSU).

I also grew up there and my parents still live there. Fox Chapel.

I rode at BarGee and also SF Fords (not what the OP is looking for) and for one hot second with the craziest lady at a place off Exit 12 of 28 called "ETC (Equestrian Training Center)" which I am sure is gone.
    ~Veronica

I also grew up there and my parents still live there. Fox Chapel.

I rode at BarGee and also SF Fords (not what the OP is looking for) and for one hot second with the craziest lady at a place off Exit 12 of 28 called "ETC (Equestrian Training Center)" which I am sure is gone.
    Hah! It is a small world, for sure... I am sure I probably saw you at Bargee, at some point. We used to haul in for some lessons during the show season.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Hah! It is a small world, for sure... I am sure I probably saw you at Bargee, at some point. We used to haul in for some lessons during the show season.
    Holy cow, I wonder if we overlapped?!
    ~Veronica

Holy cow, I wonder if we overlapped?!
    I was there in '95-'96.. (lord, that seems like yesterday, but that was quite a while ago! I feel old now.)

the craziest lady at a place off Exit 12 of 28 called "ETC (Equestrian Training Center)" which I am sure is gone.
    Oh, no truly crazy BO just gives up, they just move to a different location! I checked out an "ETC", but down in Rostraver, off of I-70. It didn't take very long in the tour of the facility to realize that it would not be a good fit for me or my horse! The group of us that went to check it out didn't even get back to the car we all travelled in before one of us commented on the crazy that we just witnessed .

As far as the OP's question regarding hunter barns in Allegheny County, Bargee might suit her best. The barn mentioned in South Park is Pheasant Hollow, which is 5 minutes from my house, but I haven't seen their rig out and about like I used to. I visited there once and I do remember the indoor being very nice, but for the life of me, I don't remember anything about the barn itself. Turnout is limited, which is why I did not pursue boarding there. I have no idea who even trains out of there.

I agree, there are more choices available outside of Allegheny County.