The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you believe in chiropractors for horses?

Had mine tweaked today for the first time. Jury is still out. I will know more in 2 days as to whether it was effective. Does it really help??

Oh course. It is very cut and dry with some horses and the adjustments. Although you need to find a good chiropractor. A bad one is a waste of money but a good one is worth their weight in gold. Certainly one of the best advancements for horses in a long time.

2 members found this post helpful.

Around here we're batting .330 with chiros. That's not bad for Sox or Yankee but it's not very good for a "health care professional."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Yes, yes, yes. Mine however, wants them to have a week off after an adjustment and give homework exercises to do.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

LOVE my horse's chiropractor. He takes his time with my horse and puts her back together again. I can always see the difference right away. He also said he hopes he doesn't have to work on a horse more than twice a year, and I appreciate his honesty.

You should be able to tell right away if your horse is more comfortable. My chiro always wants the horse to have 2 days off, which I appreciate.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely! My equine dentist even does an adjustment on the head and poll area...it's amazing to see the relief and the difference. I personally know that feeling so yes, I'm a believer!

absolutely without question has worked wonders with our pony... BUT has to the the right chiro.

3 members found this post helpful.

Depends. Some musculoskeletal conditions can respond really well to an adjustment. Other things--waste of time and money. The trick is figuring out which is which.

I'm of the school of thought that bodies rarely need "tweaking" because most musculoskeletal issues work themselves out sooner or later. If I had a couple thousand dollars a year to spare (what some people seem to spend on chiropractic stuff) I'd build a larger or more suitable paddock for my horse to be turned out more often. Standing in a little cube for 10-12+ hours a day is harder on their bodies (IMO and in general) than a lack of chiropractic.
    Click here before you buy.

Interesting comments. Yes tomorrow is a rest day. I have a "famous" chiropractor/DVM, which is the reason I thought I would check it out. Just found one adjustment that had to be done. Was a short session. That's good, right?

dunno, our vet/chiro/accupunturist, spends about 90 mins with our pony, however she has alot of issues... she then gets 2 days off and back to light work. Hopefully you're horse will be right as rain!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Interesting comments. Yes tomorrow is a rest day. I have a "famous" chiropractor/DVM, which is the reason I thought I would check it out. Just found one adjustment that had to be done. Was a short session. That's good, right?
    Where are you from and who did you use if I may ask? Or PM me, thanks!

Not only does it need to be a good chiro but the horse has to have something that needs fixed. A good chiro will run their hands over your horse and tell you they are fine today and move on to the next. A bad chiro wants you to commit to twice a week for six weeks for the same horse above.

I once got a horse for a dollar because she was lame as hell every time you put a rider on her. Jogged a million perfectly sound miles for the vets, flexed perfect, even had clean xrays the few "just in case" places they xrayed. Took her to the chiro who found a rib sublaxated in the girth area. Fixed that and she went on to earn over 100k for me.

A resounding yes! Can't imagine my current ride going without visits from our amazing chiro/vet!! I also have started going back to the human chiropractor for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Not only does it need to be a good chiro but the horse has to have something that needs fixed. A good chiro will run their hands over your horse and tell you they are fine today and move on to the next. A bad chiro wants you to commit to twice a week for six weeks for the same horse above.

I once got a horse for a dollar because she was lame as hell every time you put a rider on her. Jogged a million perfectly sound miles for the vets, flexed perfect, even had clean xrays the few "just in case" places they xrayed. Took her to the chiro who found a rib sublaxated in the girth area. Fixed that and she went on to earn over 100k for me.
    It would be more then just running their hands over I would hope. They need to palpate each joint which takes awhile. Basically checking each joint is as much work as adjusting them.

Total bunk, used 3 different chiros, who were all vets by the way, on 2 different horses with obvious issues, and there was absolutely NO improvement at all. Also tried chiro on myself with same result. Huge waste of money.

6 members found this post helpful.

A chiropractic adjustment from my vet made ALL the difference for my horse. It looks like he had had some kind of wipeout on the track and his lumbar spine was pretty much immobile and his sacram was pressed way off to one side putting pressure on his ribs. After the adjustment there was an immediate difference.

He used to always be incredibly sore in the back and even just putting a saddle on was too much. I tacked him up and rode him the next day with no signs of pain from him.

If your horse doesn't really have any problems, he is probably not going to benefit too much from it. If he has clear spinal misalignment, I cannot reccomend it enough. It has made a PROFOUND difference for us.

My horse felt dramatically different under saddle after being adjusted the first time. He also stood square in the back and stopped square in hand and under saddle. He had been stopping with one back leg angled out.
    I also was given stretching exercises for him. Chiro states that if I would keep up with them he would only need to come a couple times a year. He seems to be right.
    I called chiro out once when I thought there was a problem, but there was no problem. He checked the horse over, reviewed the stretches with me, and only charged $20 to cover gas. I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by horsecatcher View Post
    It would be more then just running their hands over I would hope. They need to palpate each joint which takes awhile. Basically checking each joint is as much work as adjusting them.
    My chiros are both vets who use acupuncture points to determine sublaxations and such. I have rarely seen them touch the legs assuming that is what you mean by joints and that was only to do a flexion to test something they found in a corresponding acupuncture point. The tests take about 3-5 minutes. They generally find things to work on the first time but don't find anything as often as not on follow up visits.

I have had the same one for over 20 years. When I first used him, it was either 1991 or 1992 and that sort of thing was NOT popular. I had a QH mare with some weird issues. She was getting strong with me, training kept putting stronger bit in her mouth. I showed HUS and they would call for a walk and I would canter a whole nother round before she would walk. I heard about this guy and he was $45 for a session, so gave him a try. This mare had all kinds of back issues...long story short, I had a brand new horse. I moved her home from my trainer's and showed her (I showed AQHA) and won everything. People were asking me who I had her with, what was I doing? I put her in a lighter bit...it really was night and day. So I have stuck with this guy all these years and he has worked on all of my horses. He is still cheap and if he gets there and your horse doesn't need anything, he doesn't charge. Ahg...which is why it takes a while to get him out these days! I have never tried another one...too scared. LOL!

I was a total skeptic. The first time one came out to see my horse I actually could not stop myself from giggling at some of the things I saw her do and I was brimming over the top with mock and disdain. But after our 2nd adjustment my horse made significant changes in how she moved and her happiness under saddle. I quit laughing and I am a believer.

I do think though...some of them are for sure quacks and a bad one has the potential to do real harm to your animal. So take the time to ask lots of people for feedback, experiences and recommendations and then check the credentials to be sure you are getting someone that is on the up and up.