The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default automatic doors for chicken coop?

So I just placed an order for a motor to make an automatic door for the chicken coop. Got tired of trying to arrange 2xday farm sitting when a once-a-day check works for all of our other animals.

After looking at the complete kits, I decided to go with the motor only , and I'll just make a door and frame on my own. We do have AC power in the coop, so hooking it up sh be pretty easy.

Any advice, or experience with this type of motor (good or bad)?
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

A possible cheap way would be use a Liftmaster/Chamberlain/Sears residential garage door operator (they are all the same just different labeling) made after 1998 but use a new 888LM wall push button panel with a 828LM internet gateway.... The gateway and 888 should cost around $90 or so.... With these two devices attached to the standard garage door opener you can open/close the door from your cell phone .... The 888LM has to be in communication range to the 828LM hub which is connected to your internet router. The hub can control about 15 devices ....lights, gate operators, door operators

I should clarify that I'm just talking about the chicken access door, so like a 12" wide panel that only needs to move vertically about 24". The important feature is that it can be set to open & shut on a timer, rather than me having to trigger it remotely. According to the website, the motor I've purchased can do this, so we'll see. A dawn/dusk switch would be handy but it's not as if sunset times are unpredictable, I can just adjust the timer settings every couple of months. (Plus when we have major t-storms, the lightning usually trips our dawn/dusk lights on and off, so I imagine that could happen with the coop door too.)

Oh well, I was just hoping some folks here would have experience with this particular type of coop door motor.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Why not just a dog door, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Why not just a dog door, out of curiosity?
    Chickens aren't pushy enough to open them( mine aren't) and it can let predators in after dark.

OP-- I like the timer it has. That way you won't have to worry about it shutting down before all the chickens get in.

On the dog door: all 21 birds would probably be dead within two days. Coops have to be raccoon-, dog-, weasel-, coyote-, owl-, and possum-proof because chickens=dinner for just about every class of animal out there, excepting maybe earthworms and blue-green algae.

1 members found this post helpful.

Our flock never comes in at the same time, so a timer would end up locking them out.

Ah. Darn chickens for tasting like chicken!

1 members found this post helpful.