The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have my Vetera EWT West Nile in the fridge. What to do?
    I'm in the same place--although the vax is on it's way--and I am waiting and seeing. Will likely contact the company prior to administration, just to be sure.

I've always gotten the Fort Dodge EWT+WNV.

Is there a reason so many people appear to be getting Vetera instead?

It looks like the Vetera VEWT+WNV is a killed vaccine, which I thought made reactions less likely. More probable that it was a vaccine that contained a flu component.

Not a vet. Just curious and making hypothesis.

I don't like to use Fort Dodge since there seems to be more horses who react negatively to them. I don't avoid them like the plague but choose otherwise when possible. Mine doesn't have the Venezuelan, just EWT and West Nile. None of my horses have ever had adverse reactions to a vaccine but you guys have me nervous right now! I was going to give them today but think I will wait and see if something more comes of it.

I'm curious now too as my horses are getting done this week, new vet, so maybe I will call to check which brand she is using. I know her order was delayed for some reason, or we'd have done them last week.

Fort Dodge was taboo in our barn for several years as we had multiple horses with reactions in our barn one year, and my then vet advised us not to use that brand again on the reactive horses. But we returned mostly because that's what many vets around here use, and those horses aren't with us anymore. Been ok so far.

No, it was given as one shot in the rump. I was standing there when the vet gave it. Latest update from the vet's assistant is that it was Vetera Gold + VEE -- no rabies. That conflicts with the receipt but it could've been an error on their part

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    DancingFoalFarms, your horse also received rabies at the same time at the combo, correct? Any chance he was reacting to that instead? Don't suppose the brand was listed on your bill--you could compare notes with Zipsmom if so.

Also just now seeing your edit above...is your interpretation of the bill that you have the VEWT+ as one injection, the WNV as one injection and the rabies as one? Vetera doesn't seem to make a rabies. They do have a stand alone WNV. And if WNV was not the "+" part of your VEWT, then it looks like it must have been VEWT+EIV/EHV.

I know that when I was discussing reactions with my vet last year, he was surprised my mare had a reaction to the EWT/WNV portion of the vaccine series (her reaction was mild compared to what you've been through--stiffness and soreness) and he said he usually saw horses react to the rabies if they were going to react to anything.

Zipsmom, what brand rabies vaccine did your horse receive? That particular Vetera combo (EWT + WNV) is what I just ordered, so I really hope that's not what set your horse off

And isn't Vetera Gold + VEE supposed to be given in two doses? A first, and then one 3 weeks later? When the vet gave it he said he didn't need to come back to do a follow up shot. Could he have over dosed him? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    And isn't Vetera Gold + VEE supposed to be given in two doses? A first, and then one 3 weeks later? When the vet gave it he said he didn't need to come back to do a follow up shot. Could he have over dosed him? Ugh.
    You need an initial series (2 doses) if the horses has never been vaccinated for these diseases before. I'm assuming your horse is an adult and this was an annual booster.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    You need an initial series (2 doses) if the horses has never been vaccinated for these diseases before. I'm assuming your horse is an adult and this was an annual booster.
    Yes, he's been previously vaccinated. He's four and received a similar combo shot last year, but never one for VEE.

Vetera Gold + VEE is a whopping combo--you've got EIGHT vaccines in one there. That alone might have set off the horse....that's a pretty large challenge to the immune system.

According to BI, horses vaccinated in previous years with other brands are good with just one dose although since your guy hadn't ever had VEE, he would need something with that twice. I don't know if you can just get that as a stand alone, though. You can't from Vetera. If it's not available on it's own, I guess you have to weigh "over" vaccinating for the other encephalitises versus your risk with potential incomplete immunity for VEE?

Also a little worrisome that he wasn't given rabies, especially if you were charged for it!! Any chance the vet drew up the rabies WITH the Vetera Gold? That would be really, really odd, and I've never seen a vet do that, but I suppose it would explain the one shot. Do you remember how much volume was in the syringe?

Very weird all the way around.

That's interesting, Zipsmom. I'm in S. Florida too; I wonder if it's the same batch.
    Actually, I am in central Florida now- just haven't updated my profile so I doubt it is the same batch although it could be.

Laurieace- I realize my horse's reaction was mild compared to the others, but it is unusual for him- he rarely reacts to vaccines so it was worth telling my vet to me. It does not say which rabies vaccine he got on my receipt but my vet is making a note to use a different brand next year.

I live in Ohio and we had 2 horses have reactions their vaccines. It was 5 way. My horse wasn't one of them so I don't know the particulars. I know the 1 horse was shaking. Both horses were fine the next day but pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by czgm7r View Post
    I live in Ohio and we had 2 horses have reactions their vaccines. It was 5 way. My horse wasn't one of them so I don't know the particulars. I know the 1 horse was shaking. Both horses were fine the next day but pretty scary.
    And what brand was used here?

Interesting. My friend's horse at 19 never had a vacine reaction. This last round he almost died. Fever for 2 days, resp and heart rate so high it was unreal. He could barely move and was off feed. He has recovered but I will have to find out what was given.

Two weeks ago I gave my 3 horses the Vetera Gold vaccine and had NO ill effects whatsoever. (Just thought I'd share some good feedback)

1 members found this post helpful.

In NJ here, my horse, young healthy (I've owned him since he was a foal) had a bad reaction to vaccine. New vet to me, I am still waiting on what he was given, brand etc. At first i thought it was colic (never has coliced) he was off his feed but eating hay and in general a bit blah, now both hind legs are swollen, temp is 100.8

Edited to add the vet thinks it was the rabies vaccine, he has had a few other horses with similar symptoms this year...

I will report back in the morning with specific vaccine info. Gave bute tonight and tomorrow morning.

So my horse had Influenza/Rhinopnuemonitis and Rabies both manufactured by Pfizer (now Zoetis). Vet confirmed he was not the only horse to have an adverse reaction. He has been not himself for about a week now.

I live in WNY, and like someone said- we are smaller horse community- word gets around- I have NOT heard that at all yet, and my horse was vaccinated Tuesday. One horse had a slight bump at injection site by another vet, but that is ALL I've heard of around here.
    I did have a horse years ago react highly to the WNV BOOSTER- and was fine with the first one. She did survive though after going into shock.

I have held off on using the vaccines to see what if anything became of this story, I think I will go ahead and use them next week unless something else comes to light.

Interesting...perhaps the location was botched in the original story? I heard from one of my boarders that the local vet clinic had gone to vaccinate some one's barn full and 4-5 horses died that same day. One or two were sent to Cornell to see what happened and they concluded it was something about the vaccine used. I do not use this vet, nor do I know WHAT they used, but they are minutes down the road from me. We are more central NY not western. Maybe this is the case that the OP's story came from?
    Horses don't lie.

DancingPretense, thank you for checking back in with the vaccine used. It's my understanding that Pfizer is Fort Dodge? Fort Dodge is rather notorious for causing reactions. I hope if I have the relationships wrong, someone will correct me.

Laurierace, I have all the vaccines for my horses in the fridge and will likely give them in a couple weeks. My vet is coming Tuesday to do rabies (not sure which brand he uses) and I'll give my Vetera EWT/WNV about a week following, and then the Calvenza flu a week after that, barring anything crazy. Please update us when you give yours!