The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thank you FWPony... that could be. She is between Utica & Watertown but the vet clinic where she works and the barn where she boards, are closely tied with Cornell (the first ever horse colic surgery performed in a boarding barn by cow vets via telephone with Cornell equine vets several years ago). I will urge her to make contact with whomever their contact there is. Hope everyone's horses stay safe and healthy.

Can you tell me a "general" area where you are? (county or nearby town?)

Well.. no firm answers, but my sister's barn used Merck vaccines this year. 27 horses, no reactions. She has heard a little more about the trouble... but nothing conclusive regarding any specific brand - could have been expired stuff or any number of things.
    Hope everyone's vaccinations are uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    Well.. no firm answers, but my sister's barn used Merck vaccines this year. 27 horses, no reactions. She has heard a little more about the trouble... but nothing conclusive regarding any specific brand - could have been expired stuff or any number of things.
    Hope everyone's vaccinations are uneventful.
    FWIW, I have a horse that has a painful reaction to the Merck. Not life threatening, but not a fun management issue, which is why I purchased the BI vaccines this year.

It is interesting that no such report of dead horses ended up on any of the veterinary forums.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have held off on using the vaccines to see what if anything became of this story, I think I will go ahead and use them next week unless something else comes to light.
    Hey Laurierace--any reactions?

Will likely give mine this weekend.

I finally gave mine this week. My old guy did fine, my filly has some mild swelling at the injection site, about the size of my hand. No fever or any other symptoms and it is not tender. Just makes her neck look a little weird. She is showing on the line at Devon on Thursday so hopefully it will be gone by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have held off on using the vaccines to see what if anything became of this story, I think I will go ahead and use them next week unless something else comes to light.
    When you give them can you do one horse then wait a few days? That would mitigate the risk if there's going to be a problem.

I stopped giving vaccs entirely after nearly losing my mare a number of years ago. The barn was giving mandatory 7 ways 2x/year and her reactions got increasingly worse. The last time was so severe that the vet finally said it was clearly vaccinosis and told the BO no more shots.

Clay on the vac site helps with the stiff/swollen neck and homeopathic Thuja helps the body process the toxins and recover.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sevensprings; May. 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Oops, I see that was an older post and they were already given. Glad it was mostly uneventful.

Thanks for the feedback, Laurierace. I keep missing weekends, and did not want to give during the week (in case of rxn...I can be at the barn more during the weekend) but this is the weekend to get it done. Will update here on any issues mine might have (hopefully none!)

I gave mine on a week day during the day in case I did need to get the vet out I would have a smaller emergency call than on a weekend or at night. Luckily that wasn't necessary.

No issues at all here.

Gave with banamine for the one horse that has a history of getting very sore (not with this brand.) Two others got the vax on its own.

No soreness, no swelling, no weird reactions, no ill horses.

Just wanted to bump this thread up.

My 12 year old gelding was vaccinated with rabies vx and Vetera Gold on Friday. Never had a reaction in his life. He also had a pretty major teeth float and was sedated with dormosedan gel and then a top up of xylazine/torb. He had a temp of 38.6 Saturday and was off feed, lethargic, just not himself. He also has a swollen submandibular lymph node. Does this add up? Vet and I don't know what to think. I was worried he'd been injured during the dentistry and had an infection going on, but he responded to anafen and his temp. has been normal since Saturday evening.

That node was not swollen on Friday. He had a thorough exam and I always have the vet feel nodes as I am am a chronic worrier when it comes to this horse. Node is the size of a golf ball.

Which side is the swollen node on? The side of the rabies vax or the Vetera side? (They were given on different sides of the neck, yes?)

What constitutes a "major float"? Hand float or power? How long was the horse drugged and propped up with the speculum?

That's an awful lot to throw at a horse in one day and it's unlikely you'll ever know what caused the reaction...a temp of 101.5 is warm but not totally unexpected following vaccines. There IS an immune response (and you want a response, after all.)

Not really related to anything, but why on earth did your vet use the dorm gel instead of just using the injectible?

Yes, it probably was a bit too much Poor boy.

I give dormosedan gel prior to the vet's arrival because my horse is really difficult to handle for injections. It just makes the job easier, otherwise we spend the first few minutes chasing him around his stall with a needle.

Horse was given gel around 8:45am, vet arrived at 9:30ish. He was floated with a power float for probably a good 20 mins and topped up at some point along the way with injectable drugs.

I'm not sure which side the rabies vx was given in; I'd have to check the vet's protocol on that.

Ok, so this doesn't sound too bad to you, Simkie? I had a mare who reacted to tetanus vx with a stiff neck, lethargy, fever, but I think I'm a bit neurotic about my gelding. He's never been off a day in his life except for the odd cough and issues with rainrot. To see him standing with his head between his knees was scary.

My horses always have reactions to Ft. Dodge - painful swellings at the injection site, stiff neck, lethargy, etc. The gelding is affected more so than the mare - will get large (bigger than my hand), hot to the touch swellings. They are not abscesses but he ends up losing 4-5 days of work due to the stiff neck.

We switched my horses from Ft. Dodge to the Boehringer Ingelheim (Vetera) vaccines a few years ago, and had no issues on Vetera, so I am stunned to hear about deaths possibly attributed to Vetera.

Interestingly enough, the vet that came to do the barn last week inadvertently used Ft. Dodge on my two along with the rest of the barn. They got EWT/WNV on one side and Flu/Rhino on the other side, and had the usual reactions - esp. to the EWT.

It is disheartening to realize that Ft. Dodge is STILL causing reactions in horses. And, FWIW, the vet at the previous barn contacted Ft. Dodge a few years ago to report reactions in my horses, and was emphatically told they had not changed formulas. I really wonder, though, where they get their ingredients from - and if the ingredient suppliers have changed THEIR vendors. I live in terror of my horses getting vaccines that were either made in China, or were made with ingredients from China.