The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horses in Buffalo, NY area reaction to vaccinations...

My sister called me because she had heard that 3 horses died in the Buffalo NY area after receiving a certain brand, 5-in-1 vaccine. She works at a vet clinic and also has horses, so right now they are all concerned. Not much news up there.

I know nothing ( in Rochester ) but it's that time of year so I'd like to hear what anyone may know!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Not in NY, but in FL with the same problem. My horse nearly died three weeks ago from a 5+1 vaccine reaction. The shot was given in the left rump / hip. Symptoms included high fever, convulsions, shock, mild colic, swollen eye, nostril, and lips (on the vaccine side), and lost appetite. I contacted the original vet, the vaccine manufacturer, and Rood & Riddle. Three horses at a neighboring facility received the same vaccine and had the same reaction.
    Last edited by DancingFoalFarms; Apr. 11, 2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo

1 members found this post helpful.

What brand?

Mine was Vetera.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Mine was Vetera.
    Ugh, of course. Because I just ordered (JUST...like an hour ago) a full round of Vetera vaccines for my horses.

Which specific vaccine caused the reaction? They have a couple 5-way (or 6 way?)

http://www.vetera-vaccines.com/vacci...portfolio.html

VEWT +

I spoke to one of Vetera's research vets who was very helpful. And Rood & Riddle have been a godsend too. I used to be an RR client when I lived in their area, and when the Boy was convulsing, and we couldn't get the only local equine vet to come back out (she was dealing with the 3 other ill horses), I called RR and they had two vets on the phone walking me though treatment and stabilization. Luckily, the barn owner is a human doctor, and had lots of people med stuff on hand that we used. At this point, no one seems to know if our area had a bad batch, or whether the horses were reacting to a stabilizer in the vaccine (what Vetera suggested). Regardless, this horse had never reacted to combo shots like that -- ever. He's young (4 years old) and very healthy. His reaction to the vaccine happened within 30 minutes of dosing, and his health deteriorated FAST. I'm so, so lucky he survived and seems to be recovering well. He starts back to light work on Monday per Rood & Riddle I'm still trying to figure out what happened so I can protect my other horses, and lower the odds of the same thing occurring in the future, so I'd love to keep up to date on the NY incident, and any other vacc problems.

VEWT +
    VEWT plus what? WNV? EIV/EHV? There are a couple options there. And it wasn't Vetera Gold Plus VEE, was it?

Debating if I should cancel my Vetera order or go ahead with it. Looked to be the best option for my vaccine reactive mare. Went with EWT + WNV.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    VEWT plus what? WNV? EIV/EHV? There are a couple options there. And it wasn't Vetera Gold Plus VEE, was it?

Debating if I should cancel my Vetera order or go ahead with it. Looked to be the best option for my vaccine reactive mare. Went with EWT + WNV.
    That's what I don't know. I'm new to the area and had never used this particular vet until shot day. The clinic receipt they gave me didn't specify anything other than "VEWT+", and neither I nor Rood & Riddle nor Vetera have been able to get the vet to give us the batch number OR anything other than "VEWT+". I'm still trying to find out more, but this vet isn't being forthcoming at the moment. ** Just double checked the receipt, and there's a handwritten notation after VEWT + of "Rabies / West Nile Vac".

I'd suggest calling Vetera and seeing what sort of reactions they're tracking this year. Hopefully the OP will chime in too, and let us know what brand she's referring to.
    Last edited by DancingFoalFarms; Apr. 11, 2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Addendum after reviewing receipt.

That's what I don't know. I'm new to the area and had never used this particular vet until shot day. The clinic receipt they gave me didn't specify anything other than "VEWT+", and neither I nor Rood & Riddle nor Vetera have been able to get the vet to give us the batch number OR anything other than "VEWT+". I'm still trying to find out more, but this vet isn't being forthcoming at the moment.
    Wow, that's terrible. What an odd thing for the vet to be elusive about. I wonder if he was using an expired vaccine or something, and now doesn't want to own up? I can't even imagine a scenario why the vet would be dodging the question unless there's something amiss there.

If you're able to get more info, I would love to know which vax it was!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Wow, that's terrible. What an odd thing for the vet to be elusive about. I wonder if he was using an expired vaccine or something, and now doesn't want to own up? I can't even imagine a scenario why the vet would be dodging the question unless there's something amiss there.

If you're able to get more info, I would love to know which vax it was!
    I feel uncomfortable about the elusiveness too, for the same reason you mentioned. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt: I'm a new client, they're busy, etc. I need to figure this out: whether it's an allergy, a sensitivity to a binder . . . whatever. I need to protect my horses, and I need to make sure -- if it's something preventable -- that I don't expose the Boy to something he's allergic to or sensitive to in the future :/ Plus, if it's a bad batch, other horse owners need to know too!

Thanks for everyone's responses... DancingFOalFarms... your's especially. I will try to find out which manfacturer my sister was questioning. (I'm in Michigan and we both work long hours.)

I also had my horse vaccinated with a vetera product-EWT/west nile and he had a mild reaction (off feed and slight fever). Recovered in a day or so with bute. But he also had rabies at the same time. Vet thought it was rabies vaccine.

That's interesting, Zipsmom. I'm in S. Florida too; I wonder if it's the same batch.

DancingFoalFarms, your horse also received rabies at the same time at the combo, correct? Any chance he was reacting to that instead? Don't suppose the brand was listed on your bill--you could compare notes with Zipsmom if so.

Also just now seeing your edit above...is your interpretation of the bill that you have the VEWT+ as one injection, the WNV as one injection and the rabies as one? Vetera doesn't seem to make a rabies. They do have a stand alone WNV. And if WNV was not the "+" part of your VEWT, then it looks like it must have been VEWT+EIV/EHV.

I know that when I was discussing reactions with my vet last year, he was surprised my mare had a reaction to the EWT/WNV portion of the vaccine series (her reaction was mild compared to what you've been through--stiffness and soreness) and he said he usually saw horses react to the rabies if they were going to react to anything.

Zipsmom, what brand rabies vaccine did your horse receive? That particular Vetera combo (EWT + WNV) is what I just ordered, so I really hope that's not what set your horse off

I have my Vetera EWT West Nile in the fridge. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Zipsmom View Post
    I also had my horse vaccinated with a vetera product-EWT/west nile and he had a mild reaction (off feed and slight fever). Recovered in a day or so with bute. But he also had rabies at the same time. Vet thought it was rabies vaccine.
    I consider that to be a normal reaction following vaccination. Death and shock etc described above is not.

I'm in Buffalo, NY and it is a very small horse community-- I've not heard anything about this, at least not yet.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

That's interesting, Zipsmom. I'm in S. Florida too; I wonder if it's the same batch.
    I sure wish I had seen this thread earlier....my horse was vaccinated today with a combo. I couldn't be there, I don't know exactly which one he got, and I haven't heard anything from BO about him being puny (or worse) so I hope I find him happy and healthy in the AM. I use Doc Hilton, what about you guys , Zipsmom and DFF?

My heart goes out to those who have had scary reactions to the vaccine. My boy has had a couple of bad reactions, mostly to antibiotics, so I know how it feels. It really sucks when you try to do the right thing and your horse suffers because of it.