The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    If *all* a DVMs patients 'cringe and try to run away', they're doing *something* wrong...
    I agree. While there are certainly some critters who are quite averse to going to the vet, I would say that the vast majority of dogs are just fine. Cats don't seem to be comfortable just by virtue of going for the car ride. But the number of critters who seem truly averse/afraid is pretty minimal at my clinic. Most are waggy tailed monsters throughout everything.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I'll let you know my opinion in a couple of months I start in August.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry If it seems like I abandoned my thread, I didn't get any email notifications, and I thought that there were no more replies!

As for the comment about me being in High school... I'm a bit of a late bloomer. No, I'm not in High School.. I'm 20 and have not been to college yet. And yes this is very embarrassing for me but my parents can't afford to help put me through school and they make too much money for me to be qualified for financial aid. I've spent the last 3 years working and travelling and now I'm ready to get going on a real career.
    I have a lot of interests in horses (eventing) obviously. and my other big interest is in Reptiles. Which is why I was considering being a vet and going into exotics. But I just can't afford to go into a profession where I wont make money... very unfortunate because I think I could make a great vet.

I decided I might go major in English and minor in Foreign language. I am learning to speak Russian and Arabic and would like to maybe find a job as an interpreter or if all else fails a school teacher.

Thank you to everyone who replied
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Kate, how would you feel about working in the Foreign Service? If you have interests in language, that might be an option for you.

If you're going to get a 4 year degree, I'd strongly suggest a business major. You can apply business to pretty much anything. Even if you were a free lance interpreter, knowing a thing or two about business would help!

Also, don't give up on your dreams. If you really want to be a veterinarian, be a veterinarian. If you do some research, you'll find that there are vets who make good money--especially in major metropolitan areas. However, those areas are a little more difficult when it comes to having a horse--financially and distance wise.

If you are okay with living somewhere like Chicago, you could probably work in a nice clinic and have a horse within about an hour's drive (in good traffic).

You CAN make money as a veterinarian. You just have to be in the right place.

As far as financial aid, you can get around your folks' income in some cases. Have you called FAFSA to discuss? It's been a few years since I was applying for aid but I was able to NOT include my parents' income by filing for some sort of waiver. I just don't remember what it was.

Good luck.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...