The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where would you go?

If you could live anywhere with your horses where would you go.
    Your perfect weather location, great trails, or show facility nearby.... Anywhere at all, where would you pack up and move to?

Give me reasons why - weather, footing, trails, good people nearby, or no one at all, beautiful location, decent prices for good hay and feed....

I'd like my own island with my horses and a my own personal ferry set up to take my horses to shows in FL lol. I dream big!

Reason, because it would just be awesome and of course I'd have the best footing because at this point I'd be loaded with dough lol.

But seriously I'd really like to have 2 places. I'd love to be the lucky ones that summer in Lexington Ky and winter in Ocala FL.
    Reason, nice weather mostly, hopefully not to hot and not to cold. No snow in FL. And not as many bugs in Ky.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Probably Lexington, KY or anywhere in Bourbon County Albemarle Co., VA. Wellington, FL (considering that right now).

Reasons for the first two: Location, good grazing, rolling hills, sheer beauty.
    Reasons for Wellington: In the thick of horse show land. Beautiful weather. The ocean.

Big Island Hawaii
    in a heartbeat

The place where, when I got there, I felt I was finally HOME.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

New Zealand, South Island. Christchurch outskirts or Marlborough. Or North Island, Cambridge or anywhere North of Auckland and the Bay of Islands. Because it is fabulous and beautiful and the people I met were absolutely phenomenal. I could ride with that scenery forever...

Logistically, almost impossible for me. But in my head, my dream location...

Virginia, for the following reasons:
    -- turnout
    -- there's just a general horsey-ness
    -- I spent a lot of time there as a kid
    -- My parents still live there and I'd love to be able to be nearer to them
    -- Proximity to both ocean and mountains, cities and country
    -- History

The only issue is I'd have to somehow talk my current trainer into coming, and when that didn't work out, I'd stay where I am.

And yeah, if we're talking "win a bazillion dollars and make all your dreams come true," I'd also get a place in Wellington. And a place in New York City (for me, not the horse).

Wyoming
    - with an awesome trail horse & a ton of land

If money was no object, my "perfect place" would actually be two places: northwestern Michigan in the summer and central Florida in the winter.
    Last edited by NoSuchPerson; Apr. 11, 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    New Zealand, South Island. Christchurch outskirts or Marlborough. Or North Island, Cambridge or anywhere North of Auckland and the Bay of Islands. Because it is fabulous and beautiful and the people I met were absolutely phenomenal. I could ride with that scenery forever...

Logistically, almost impossible for me. But in my head, my dream location...
    My dream locale as well! I LOVE New Zealand!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

OMG....

South Downs area, UK. advantages: STUNNING hacking. Mild temperatures most of the year. Access to great trainers/competitions. More pasture than some parts of the country. Close to London. disadvantages: rain (though its not as bad as some Americans seem to think!), expense.

Northern Virginia: advantages: STUNNING hacking again. Hunt country USA :-D. Mild temperatures except the summer. Plenty of turnout if you go to the right places. Great access to competitions no matter what English discipline you choose (don't know about western/saddle seat/breed shows/etc). Close to cities. disadvantages: EXPENSIVE!!!! and traffic.

Needless to say, I'm planning a move to NoVa, or as close to NoVa as I can get, or the South Downs area, England, upon finishing grad school....I love the coast, but there's only ONE decent hunter jumper barn (and it is awesome, but frustrating to travel so far to get anywhere to compete) within reasonable driving distance of me, and no eventing to speak of.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I think I am fond of the island idea, maybe we can be neighbors!

well i actually do kind of have this choice, as my farm is for sale and we've only settled on a summer camp as a replacement home.
    thus we are very psyched to be at camp in vermont for the summer and early fall and the rest of the year we will explore and travel.
    someday i hope to find a temperate place to spend winters on the beach with my horse.

I'd go back home to Moore County, NC and nest somewhere in Southern Pines where I could have access out my back door to the Moss Foundation.
    Alis volat propriis.

San Diego. The depth of dressage instruction is wonderful, the weather is great (although I would want to be close to the coast, just to make sure it doesn't get too hot) and it isn't isolated.

Basically, it is the polar opposite of where I live now!
    Sheilah

If I had horses I'd probably move back to Maryland. After living in California and now Texas, I have yet to find such an extensive publication as The Equiery! Having something that ties all the horsey stuff together is key. Not to mention the variety of shows available and if you don't mind being in the country, board is not TOO high. Maybe once I start riding here in Texas I'll change my mind but I miss being in the middle of it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    My dream locale as well! I LOVE New Zealand!
    Me too. Not even the scenery and all that good stuff, but I just felt so at home there.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

It doesn't matter where I live as long as there is NO SNOW. Somewhere where the temps stay at freezing or above in the winter is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    If money was no object, my "perfect place" would actually be two places: northwestern Michigan in the summer and central Florida in the winter.
    We just got back from visiting our younger daughter and her family in Cadillac MI. I could live there, somewhere between Grand Rapids and Traverse City. I would of course need my own indoor arena.

Other places I would like are Albuquerque/Santa Fe and Sedona but I HATE AZ politics
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Two places: North Shore area of MA in the warm months, and San Diego, CA in the cold months.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

SePa or Maryland with NoVa as a closesecond and Southern Pines close behind. As much as I dislike the cold, I do appreciate the changing seasons and my beef of more with the length of the winters in upstate NY. My friends in SePa have had their horses out on grass for a month and there is nothing but mud and frozen and rutted disaster areas here. Most of the turnout around here is on hold between mid March and late April to let the grass actually grow. About 5 hrs south it's healthy and graze-able. I'd also love to live someplace with a horsey culture. I like the idea that wearing spurs out to dinner doesn't identify you as an S and M afficionado or a drag queen.

Apart from the horses, I do like being near enough to get to the ocean easily.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique