The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So if you're not a western rider but plan on showing in western dressage - attire?

This just dawned on me after reading a comment on the other WD thread.

If you're not a western rider and have no western showing experience . . . meaning no western show attire . . . what do you wear to show in a WD class?

I mean, if you are already a dressage rider, or planning on doing plain 'ole regular dressage, then you would adhere to "that" uniform. But what for WD?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I would look up the rules, but I would probably wear paddock boots and jeans, belt with the biggest buckle I own (a silver buckle I won for a state breed championship), button up shirt (western style if you own any) tucked in, gloves, helmet. I'd look up tack rules to see if I could use my normal reins or get a pair of split reins and hold them with two hands on my snaffle anyway, and just take the noseband off my bridle.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    This just dawned on me after reading a comment on the other WD thread.

If you're not a western rider and have no western showing experience . . . meaning no western show attire . . . what do you wear to show in a WD class?

I mean, if you are already a dressage rider, or planning on doing plain 'ole regular dressage, then you would adhere to "that" uniform. But what for WD?

WD attire -clean shirt with buttons, jeans, some kind of shoe. No bonus for bling. Helmet is fine. Saddle -must have fenders, does not need to have a horn. Bridle -yes. There are rules about bits, but suffice to say your regular snaffle will do just fine. Mount; something with 4 legs -it would be nice for it to be clean.

These are the WDAA rules. http://www.westerndressageassociatio...e0b43860_e.pdf

Paula

ETA: Split skirt works too, and I guess if you're doing WD side saddle -the apron.
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Helmet is fine.
    if you are at a dressage show that offers western dressage...whatever it may be...then helmets are mandatory at most dressage shows.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

2 members found this post helpful.

Indeed, I meant that for WD you are not obligated to wear a cowboy hat.

Paula

If it is a schooling show, read the association's rules. STRIDE offers WD, and we have adjusted some of the attire rules to permit more flexibility for those traditional dressage riders who want to try out WD.

I think the only recognized shows that offer WD are morgan shows at this point.

Shouldn't you be asking the Western forum?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    If it is a schooling show, read the association's rules. STRIDE offers WD, and we have adjusted some of the attire rules to permit more flexibility for those traditional dressage riders who want to try out WD.

I think the only recognized shows that offer WD are morgan shows at this point.
    You mean in your area? I am not so sure those are the only recognized shows. There is a Fresian breed show in Virginia in October that offers WD.

Y'know I just popped over to the WDAA forum and it looks like all the recognized competitions are at breed specialty. I don't see anything in FL. There are a couple in OK and CA (as well as that VA one I mentioned). http://www.westerndressageassociation.org/

ETA: Bristol Bay, you might have missed in one of these WD threads the moderator already said it was fine to have these conversations in the Dressage forum.

Paula

Our GMO requires helmets and uses the NAWD rule book. You need to know which rulebook applies. They are quite plain spoken about attire and tack.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    ETA: Bristol Bay, you might have missed in one of these WD threads the moderator already said it was fine to have these conversations in the Dressage forum. Paula
    Encouraged, actually, since it was felt that if one wanted dressage answers, those frequenting the Dressage Forum would be most likely to have them. And not so likely to be cruising the Western Forum. A fair assumption?
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

A fair assumption.

Paula

I guess I was wrong about the recognized shows - but I have not yet seen WD offered at a recognized dressage show, jsut breed shows.....

In any case, be sure you know the attire regs for whatever association is sponsoring the show!

And have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I guess I was wrong about the recognized shows - but I have not yet seen WD offered at a recognized dressage show, jsut breed shows.....

In any case, be sure you know the attire regs for whatever association is sponsoring the show!

And have fun!!
    You're right. Western Dressage isn't offered at USEF-recognized dressage shows.

At the shows I've run and offered Western Dressage classes there have been mainly two schools of thought regarding dress.
    The first is like a toned down rail class with a rail shirt and matching saddle pad. Rail shirts can be purchased rather inexpensively online, and Lammles has some.
    The second is a "dressaged up" western outfit - black chaps, white button up blouse and a black vest with a white or black saddle pad. Which I imagine with the addition of chaps to the wardrobe, is easily accomplished with an existing closet.
    Either, when done well, looks sharp. The key things to have are black chaps and black jeans, boots didn't really seem to affect the look (I'd imagine paddock boots would be fine) but spurs, if worn, must be western type.

And as a note from an organizer about the helmets - WSDAC does require helmets, but personally even were I offering WDAA tests with their rules - I would require helmet use. In Canada they can be offered in a nationally recognized show (ie Bronze, Silver or Gold) as a Miscellaneous class, so would follow EC helmet rules.

Interesting. The look I've seen most often is a "working" outfit. Longsleeve shirt, scarf, jeans, chinks rather than chaps, maybe a vest. Chinks are a lot cooler in summer. No bling, but the chinks can be dressy. Tack is working tack - not the heavy show saddles. I haven't seen any attempt to copy the black and white color scheme, but the western rail outfits tend to be conservative when used.

Now at the Breed shows where WD is a recognized division, the riders are almost all crossovers from WP, and dress accordingly.