The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've never shown dressage for a bad judge, but in my earliest outings I didn't understand what directives were for, so thought I did

(Yes, I was upset at getting a 4 on canter transition because I FIXED the lead! So, shouldn't that count for something? Now I know that it did : I gave myself a chance to get better than 0 not-shown for the (correct lead) canter circle in the next movement.)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

1 members found this post helpful.

I've never shown dressage for a bad judge, but in my earliest outings I didn't understand what directives were for, so thought I did

(Yes, I was upset at getting a 4 on canter transition because I FIXED the lead! So, shouldn't that count for something? Now I know that it did : I gave myself a chance to get better than 0 not-shown for the (correct lead) canter circle in the next movement.)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I wouldn't name worst judges here if I did know their names just because it seems like it's asking to have that judge to be the judge at a very important time.
    Yes, I did think twice before naming names. However, there were so many complaints that the show managers around here have said they won't hire that judge again so I think I'm safe!
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I don't normally believe there's tons of politics or breed bias going on at open shows - my Arabian and I have won hunter pleasure and hunt seat eq. classes in front of western/stock-horse judges at open shows.

BUT I was at one open show with a very nice WP Arabian gelding. This horse had regional wins, a top ten at youth nationals, etc. He was going well that day, and we placed really poorly in our first class. I came out of the ring and someone came up to me and told me we should have won, but she said the judge turned his back on us every time we came by. I watched in the next class, and she was right. He just wouldn't even watch us.

I used to remember his name, because I didn't want to show with him again. It has been years ago, though, and I had stopped showing for several years and forgot who he was.
    been there, done that. showed my old ASB mare, who was a cute but not breed typey hunter. She was 100% on her A-game- really good transitions, good distinctions between normal and extended gaits. Really having a great day. and I actually had the judge walk up to me in the lineup in my first class and say "I don't like (comment about my type of horse) but you had a really good ride so I had to give you a ribbon". The next class, my mom videoed the judge as I was approaching, and she did a 180 every time we got in her line of sight. So... my handy little dollface of a mare collected up and did a nice little 10 meter circle around the judge in the canter. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Anyone in New England remember Ester Bird? She was tough!
    She liked me!! LOL!!!

In the same area & date range, who did NOT like me was Stuart Holbrook. I don't think he was a *bad* judge, and I will NOT call him that, but it took me RIGHT up until my last junior year to figure out what he wanted in the (hunt seat) eq. There was another young lady who shall, I think, go nameless, but was a pretty big name in Zone 1 and a MUCH better rider than me, but we had a similar *style* of riding, and he never used either one of us. We both used to avoid shows where he was judging but I finally got smart my last jr. year and left horsie at home and went to WATCH to see who he pinned. Turned out all we needed to do was crank our stirrups 2 holes shorter and sit "out behind" a bit... not quite a chair seat but almost. That was kind of an old-fashioned look even in the 1970s. But, armed w/ that knowledge, I won my next flat with him judging.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    She liked me!! LOL!!!

In the same area & date range, who did NOT like me was Stuart Holbrook.
    Bird loved you if you had a morgan. Or, in my case, a chubby quarter horse that liked to park heself in a model class.

As for Holbrook, my dad refused to spend money at any show he judged at! Back then there were plenty of shows to pick and choose from each weekend, we just picked one that he wasn't at!

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Bird loved you if you had a morgan. Or, in my case, a chubby quarter horse that liked to park heself in a model class.

As for Holbrook, my dad refused to spend money at any show he judged at! Back then there were plenty of shows to pick and choose from each weekend, we just picked one that he wasn't at!
    Were your maiden name initials by any chance CL? That is *hilarious* re your dad. As noted, I did the same thing most of the time. But again I don't think he was a "bad" judge, I think he was just old-fashioned to the extreme. As to Miz Bird, I *think* she kinda watched me "grow up" in the show ring and she probably judged me as a lead-liner/walk-trotter on the Morgans and ASBs before I switched disciplines. I'm also pretty sure I remember her either coming to my (saddle seat) instructor's place to judge a schooling show or to lecture the riding club when I was a wee'un. I can't remember which she did but I know she was there, and I couldn't have been any older than 8 at the time...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Were your maiden name initials by any chance CL? ..
    No, not me :-) But I'm sure that if I could find a picture of our gooseneck, you'd recognize it. I swear anyone that rode in MA in the 70's/80's knew us by the trailer. (Beige 4h Kingston that Dad custom lettered across the top.)

Best? I hope I am writing his name right because I am a horse show mom, but my daughter showed in front of John Conyers at state and regionals, and he really tested those kids with a lot of positivity. She truly earned those ribbons.

Worst? I won't name names, but the Judge who continued to read his paper unless someone from the hosting farm came in the ring. Judges are entitled to their opinions, but I thought he was tacky and unprofessional.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Worst by far: John Sullivan

I had ridden under him a few times, and he was always late to the show and every time had claimed he had gotten lost. Never agreed with his pinnings, but that's what you pay a judge for.

Last year, I brought my Morgan to a show that was double judged, John Sullivan and a woman judge (can't recall her name). I took my guy into a Morgan geldings class of 6. Woman judge pinned me first...John Sullivan disqualified me and wrote in the card that the horse was lame. Horse was NOT lame, obviously of the other judge wouldn't have pinned me first! The horse was an animated morgwn with action. I was mad and confused, so I exited the ring, and brought the horse to the steward so I could trot him and prove that he was in fact sound. While I was ringside with th steward, John Sullivan LEFT THE CLASS HE WAS JUDGING to come over and yell at me, something along the lines of "I knew you would be trouble and complain and tattle on me!"

I will NEVER go to a show if him name is on the prize list.

Gee...now I remember when showing ceased to be fun...it became "who you knew, trained with and how expensive your horse was". Oh...that must have been when I graduated to the "A"'s...back in the 70's, LOL!
    But I'd never call a judge out...it wasn't done back then...unless you were a phenom, which I wasn't!
    Can't believe COTH names names...Wow!
    Last edited by Budrow; Apr. 16, 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: addition

I only do schooling shows (Hunters/Eq), so the names may or may not be recognizable.

Best: Misty Morgan - my BO hates the way she judges, but I think she's wonderful because she really rewards riders for improvements class-by-class. I was having an awful couple of rounds in Maiden Hunter. Horse was spooking/bolting, we were adding and taking out strides left and right. Just bad, bad, bad. Then we had time for a short break, got our stuff together, and went in for a 2' "challenge" (like a mini hunter derby) and actually had a pretty decent ride. She rewarded our improvement with a blue ribbon. My guy and I worked hard for that ribbon It's displayed next to his picture and the silver plate we won that day.

Worst: Crystal Brumbaugh - Watches the first little bit of your first round, decides if she likes your horse or not, and pins you accordingly every time. Barely watches your rounds, and I can't tell you how many pictures I have of me riding, and her in the background chit-chatting to the announcer. Not even watching me at all. Other riders probably have similar photos. I've placed decently under her, so it's not as though she's decided she hates me/my horse and already knows we're not on her radar. She judged two shows here last season and I got reserve in all of my divisions. What gives? How can I get reserve when she's not looking at me?