The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Allergic reaction to needles?

So on another thread, an allergic reaction to the silicon on needles was mentioned. Can someone confirm this? What do these reactions look like?

I am asking because my horse gets these small hard lumps at injections sites that just never seem to go away. So naturally I am now curious...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

They look like small hard lumps at injections sites that never go away. Buy a box of non-silicone needles.

1 members found this post helpful.

Awww my poor guy Is there anything I can do for the lumps that are already there? And now I am nervous because I just had his bursa injected with stem cells...
    I love my Dublin-ator

I don't think so. They eventually look and feel like a bee bee under the skin and may go away in time. Try having a race horse with this allergy! You can see every injection they ever got.

Yes well he also went for an MRI and they wouldn't let me go with him. So it took lots and lots of drugs and over 6 hours to get it done. His one vein is riddled with them...

Would some Dex help? Or DMSO?
    I love my Dublin-ator

I love my Dublin-ator

It should. Get the 20 gauge inch and a half. Those are pretty universal. If you go to another vet hospital to get something major like an MRI done, let them know about the allergy when you make the appointment. For everything else, use your own.

I will try... have to get them through a vet or with a prescription. Thanks NJ! Just sent my vet a text waiting to hear back... Not like she didn't already think I was nuts...
    I love my Dublin-ator

My vet wouldn't think you were crazy...I had a horse that had the same thing happen, and it was my vet who first told me about allergic reactions to the silicone coating on needles. Symptoms were just as described. The bumps got smaller but it took a few years.
    Last edited by vagabondrider; Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Clarification

I have one witht the same thing and even using non silicone needles, he still gets bumps and all the old bumps get bigger for a few days afterwards! Little guy has bumps for every shot he has ever had. Tried giving the shots in different places, different meds, whole nine yards, no change. Vet has done research but found no suggestions on how to prevent.

I have a mare with this problem also. Her bumps from previous injections did eventually go away.

For my horse it wasn't just injections, it also happened with blood draws. That's why my vet thought it was the silicone on the needles.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondrider View Post
    For my horse it wasn't just injections, it also happened with blood draws. That's why my vet thought it was the silicone on the needles.

I'm not sure I understand. A blood draw is administered with a needle. A horse that is allergic to the silicone on the needle will show it in the muscle or the jugular -- wherever the needle was injected. Am I missing something here?

My horse gets these, but not every single time (most) and only seems to be when I give injections in her neck. If I give them in her chest, she doesn't get the bumps. I just vaccinated last week. I have never attempted an injection in her hindquarters. Fortunately, she has never needed an injection of large volume (knock on wood, hope I didn't just jinx myself). Most of them seem to last about 6 months. Going away just in time for the next set of vaccinations. They sometimes last longer.

Eosinophilic granuloma - my gelding has one from a bug bite, and my vet injected the bump - w/ cortisone, I think. It went from marble size down to pea size.

Read more here:
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/do...-1-bkm-sec.pdf
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. A blood draw is administered with a needle. A horse that is allergic to the silicone on the needle will show it in the muscle or the jugular -- wherever the needle was injected. Am I missing something here?
    I think she is saying that because her horse had a reaction when both getting injections and having blood drawn, the vet determined it was the silicone on the needles. And not just what they were injecting...
    I love my Dublin-ator

A friend of mine has a horse with that issue. They have to use non lubricated needles for her