The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolex 2013 - Any cross country course walks planned?

Hello,

I am stoked to be attending my first ever Rolex. It has long been on my equine bucket list! Does anyone have any details on cross country course walks? I think SmartPak sponsored one in the past. I am putting together my daily itinerary - I want to have the complete experience! Thank you for any information that you have.

There are usually a bunch and they will announce them throughout Thursday and Friday so you will hear about them.
    Practical Horseman is sponsoring a Jimmy Wofford walk- I like his not only because it is Jimmy (so insightful and funny) but because it is at the end of dressage on Friday so you don't miss any dressage to do it. Most of the coursewalks happen during dressage- not all, but most.
    Smartpak always sponsors at least one if not 2- check their website and if you don't see anything, go to their booth at the trade fair (you will have to anyway to sign up). Theirs are usually done by a pair of riders walking together
    Odds are there will be others- just keep yours ears open to announcements over the PA system while you are there.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

JWofford is doing one on Friday after dressage http://www.equisearch.com/news/jim-w...ree-day-event/

I don't see anything about a SmartPak or Bit of Britain Walk though
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Mountain Horse posted this on their Facebook page:

Mountain Horse is proud to present the North American Young Rider Course Walk with Sinead Halpin. This event is scheduled for 2:30 on Friday, April 26th at the start box. Walk the Rolex course with Mountain Horse Team Rider Sinead Halpin of Sinead Halpin Eventing and get tips and advice on how we should tackle this 4-star course.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you!

Are any of the course walks set up for those incapable of hiking the course?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I always walk with Eric Dierks. He is a great instructor and he explains the course in a way that I understand, better than any other rider, in my opinion. I love Jimmy's walks, but the crowds are simply too much for me. Eric's walks are smaller, but as a student of Jimmy's (and from Eric's own experience), I find I can get up-close, and get more out of the experience. As for the exertion of walking the course, I really don't think there's much of a way to get around that, apart from only walking a portion of the course.

Eric will most likely post his course walk details either the week prior, on his web site http://www.ericdierks.com/, or on the Facebook page for his farm, Renovatio Farms, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Renov...89496547798040
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Forgot to mention, as of my last conversation with Eric, Ralph Hill and Eric Dierks will do the course walk, together. Will post a link, when I have more information.
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    Forgot to mention, as of my last conversation with Eric, Ralph Hill and Eric Dierks will do the course walk, together. Will post a link, when I have more information.
    I went on the course walk last year with Eric & Ralph and it was fantastic. I'm so excited they are doing it together again this year! I will be there.

3 members found this post helpful.

Having walked many courses with Ralph, he's great.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Lots of nice choices here!! Can't wait. It's almost time to go take a peek at the extended weather forecast. After reading Sinead's blog post on COTH yesterday I think she would be fascinating to follow on a course walk.

Please check Horse Junkies United -- and if you are there in person, go by the Southern Stars Saddlery/Ecogold saddle pad booth. They will be posting the course walk people/times set up.
    Here are some names I've heard that are going to give course walks:
    Bruce Davidson, Sr.
    Boyd Martin
    Jessica Hampf - and more!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    Yep - FLAIR is sponsoring it again this year! Friday, 3:30pm @ the start box
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Lots of nice choices here!! Can't wait. It's almost time to go take a peek at the extended weather forecast. After reading Sinead's blog post on COTH yesterday I think she would be fascinating to follow on a course walk.
    I have had the pleasure of walking Rolex with Sinead and she is absolutely excellent. Her great explanations -- she really seemed to know how her horse would be viewing, and reacting to the obstacles -- plus her ability to read the question and know what was being asked -- excellent, very educational.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I have had the pleasure of walking Rolex with Sinead and she is absolutely excellent. Her great explanations -- she really seemed to know how her horse would be viewing, and reacting to the obstacles -- plus her ability to read the question and know what was being asked -- excellent, very educational.
    Cool! I am not an eventer but I admire the hell out them. LOL, calling eventers "them" makes them sound like something plunked down from Mars. I followed Sinead last year through her ups and down and came to admire her a lot. Last year I didn't do a course walk. There are a lot of good choices this year but I think I'll do hers. If you see a 50+ year old woman with a chubby tan and white chihuahua (puppy mill rescue chi) in Sineads group that will be "Happy" and I.

SmartPak just emailed about their course walk with Boyd Martin and Allison Springer. Day/time TBA once ride times posted.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/course...ost-_-FBSignUp
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.