The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fat supplement?

My mare ties up horribly and we now have it under control, but she is on a grass hay diet with high fat. Ive been instructed by my vet to feed her a high fat supplement. Ive been using Safechoice Perform and flax seed oil. She doesnt seem to be getting as much fat as id like and she just needs some more weight put on. Id really like to find something to add the weight without adding more energy. She is a hot horse anyway and Id like to not feed her jet fuel on top of it. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have tried corn oil in the past with other horses and I did not notice a difference. I have also fed rice bran too and I like that it adds weight, but it makes them hot. Any suggestions?

Oil is fat, so even though you haven't had success with it in the past, that would be my go to. Otherwise, Amplify is high in fat, so is Empower Boost (iirc).

Amplify is great, much more palatable (IME) than some others. Buckeye's Ultimate Finish is similar. Cool Calories 100 also a good option in a non-liquid.
    Click here before you buy.

Cocosoya, Cool Calories, if you can get Tribute products, K Finish is nearly all fat.

I *love* both the Cocosoya oil and the powdered form - my horse gets BOTH!! I also really like Ultimate Finish, but you have to give a lot of it and some horses (mine) won't eat it.

I'm a big fan of oil, since it's 100% fat and really cheap, calorie for calorie. How has it not worked for you in the past? What oil, and how much have you fed? I'd likely give it another shot were I in your shoes

I really liked the Cool Calories for adding fat and weight w/o making them nuts. Empower was good too, but didn't seem to be as effective or as cost effective even.

I use olive oil, the good stuff, extra virgin. Works like a charm. I also use flax seed.