The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I run a retirement farm and I will admit that I was a little offended by your first post.

There are many retirement farms that are quite a distance from where the horses owner lives because the situation may be ideal for that particular horse/owner combination. Many of these farms provide excellent care and that is why the owners choose that facility. To make it sound that anyone that doesn't check on their horses in person on a regular basis isn't fair to the farms that are providing excellent care or to the owners that can't make it out often.

My highest compliment is when boarders tell me that they aren't worried if they can't show up for a while. I consider it my job to look after their horses so they don't have to worry or constantly check up to make sure it's being cared for.

There are quite a few Cothers that run retirement farms that offer this exact service and peace of mind.

8 members found this post helpful.

It sounds like the OP has a personal grudge against this farm. Word on the street is that the owners are very upset over this and have contacted an attorney! Apparently, it turns out that they were sheets! This is going to get interesting! Whooee, someone certainly stepped in it this time!

1 members found this post helpful.

I must be a bad owner because from a glance, I can't tell. Newer blankets are very thin, he'll, I have blankets and sheets for my own and some I can't remember if they're blankets or sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    i realize your horse is a special case but i'm shocked that you would suggest that use of blankets would be acceptable in the temps we had the last two days under normal circumstances. even a clipped horse should be naked in those temps.
    Time to move out of your bubble and assuming your way is the only way. There are lots of horses who live all summer in a sheet, and I am not talking a fly sheet.
    It might not be a practice that you agree with but it does not make it wrong or cruel.

do you really think a horse owner could not tell a difference between a sheet and a blanket?
    For this to be the case I would have to assume that said horse owner walked up and touched the blanket. From the other side of the fence it would be pretty impossible.

I do agree with the sentiment that people do need to keep an eye on their horses no matter where they are boarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    While I absolutely agree that blankets on in that warm of weather is horrible and a good indicator that many other things could be wrong, this is quite a broad brush you use with this statement. The same could be said about boarding barns, dogs in boarding kennels etc. One just needs the right retirement facility. Hyperbole about them in general isn't a great thing.

There are a lot of great retirement facility owners out there (and some on this board). Perhaps asking them for ways to vet a new place would be more helpful.
    THANK YOU. There are many retirement facilities that take care of their horses that many "show barns" would envy. And I'm sure there are also some dirt bags. Most horse people know everyone; isn't there someone like a vet, farrier or feed store who knows these people and what they're like? It could be as simple as they were out of town for a couple of days and had an insufficiently-knowledgeable person taking care of the horses. Also, how many horses do they have? Do you know for a fact that these were winter-weight blankets? Perhaps the people were at work and didn't know it was going to get that hot. Before you fire up the flaming torches & pitchforks, it's nice to have your FACTS organized.

But at least you're paying attention, which may be more than they're doing. Or not.

I run a retirement facility and get so tired of these threads painting every retirement facility with a broad brush. You know what, some retirement farms do a fabulous job taking care of their retirees, even those with absentee owners. My owners really don't need to pay someone local to come verify that. That is why I stay full with a waiting list at all times. Geesh, and we wonder why the good barn owners, retirement or not, get burned out in this business.
    Last edited by onthebit; Apr. 12, 2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling

8 members found this post helpful.

I guess this tempest in a tea cup is the result from people losing their communication skills and instead of knocking on the door or picking up the phone to call that person, assume the worst and let their imagination run wild.....

I have thumbed through a bunch of catalogs...unless it's one of the down comforters for horses, I don't think I could tell 'sheet' from 'blanket' from the road. Heck, not sure if I knew the difference with hands on the garment....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

do you really think a horse owner could not tell a difference between a sheet and a blanket?

why are COTHers such contrarians? if i posted that i like my horse in a medium weight in 80F+ you'd all be jumping up and down screaming at me to tell me what danger i'm putting my horse in.
    LOL You have discovered the joys of posting on COTH!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    It sounds like the OP has a personal grudge against this farm. Word on the street is that the owners are very upset over this and have contacted an attorney! Apparently, it turns out that they were sheets! This is going to get interesting! Whooee, someone certainly stepped in it this time!
    Quoting in case it goes poof.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Quoting in case it goes poof.
    7A seems to be unapologetic...don't see any edits in the future....

Totally off topic but the original OP states NJ as her state and all I can think about... really? Itwas over 80 degrees in NJ yesterday? Did I read that right?
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    Totally off topic but the original OP states NJ as her state and all I can think about... really? Itwas over 80 degrees in NJ yesterday? Did I read that right?
    Same thought here... it was MAYBE 60*, but there was a breeze and technically I am 7 miles from NJ
    I was assuming this place is in southern NJ [it was 80 in DC]?

it was definitely in the mid-high eighties that day here in philly. depending on where she is in jersey, i'd believe it hit 80*.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Drive NJ

i realize your horse is a special case but i'm shocked that you would suggest that use of blankets would be acceptable in the temps we had the last two days under normal circumstances. even a clipped horse should be naked in those temps.

but, a lesson to learn here is that as usual with horse people, there is always more than one opinion. clearly ours differ. notwithstanding, i will remove the barn's name from my original post.
    dont own a retirement farm but I do own appaloosas. Who are prone to? ....Sunburn thats right. My horses wear sheets all summer if required and trust me it gets warmer then 80f here on a hot august day when the even the breeze is enough to make you feel like you are in a blast furnace. And if they were clipped, which one or two occasionally are - they definitely get a sheet - sunburn on a pink skinned horse ain't pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

yes even in the north-central PA mountains we hit over 80 TWICE this week, so I believe that NJ could have been in the 80's.

I, too, was a bad horse owner this week. Here's the deal, DD's horse was wearing an unlined rain sheet mainly as a mud sheet so she wouldn't have to keep getting the mud off of him every day. Temps mostly in the low 40s and just plain awful raw cold yuck. A few days in the 50s but freezing temps at night. The forecast was for some days in the upper 60s or low 70s but that was the HIGH, and that would be for at best a few hours, the morning temps are still in the upper 30s and all night is cold, as soon as the sun goes down (if the sun ever comes out around here!) the chill sets in. In the daytime the horses have shade. I didn't feel a rain sheet would be terribly abusive to him even if the temp hit 70.

Wouldn't you know it, the forecast was wrong wrong wrong. I came out of work and it was 82. Yes I felt bad that first day, went right home and took the poor boy's rain sheet off. He was not even damp underneath, he had been standing in the shade. No harm done. Luckily no one had reported me to animal control, or gone on COTH to start a thread about it.

So, I'm guessing these people were caught off guard by the bizarre April weather we've been having and if they were light sheets I'm pretty sure the horses were just fine.

4 members found this post helpful.

think the owners might be wasting their time getting an attorney. The OP said that someone had called her - she did not say that she saw them - so the owner would have a tough time proving that this was a lie. She also talked about horses having stuffing hanging out of the blankets, but the wording is ambiguous enough that it could be read that she sees this in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    think the owners might be wasting their time getting an attorney. The OP said that someone had called her - she did not say that she saw them - so the owner would have a tough time proving that this was a lie. She also talked about horses having stuffing hanging out of the blankets, but the wording is ambiguous enough that it could be read that she sees this in other places.
    I think originally she named the farm....

Hey Jersey, Quit hogging the warm weather, We have had nothing but rain and 30s for a week.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Yes it was the mid 80s last week and it was hot!!! It's silly, but the first few hot days I refuse to wear shorts because I don't believe it will get that hot! Of course, I regret it in a few hours!

I ditto what old pony said about the weather forcast. I have a weatherband radio in my barn which I listen to daily and actually write down the forcast for that day so I know how the blanket the horses. Oftentimes, the forcast is wrong. Even comparing the weatherband forcast and the internet forcast can be different.

Even with the best intentions, we can all have the oops moments. If the owners happened to go out or work during the day, it is impossible to be able to blanket perfectly all the time.

Sorry Sannois, we can't send over the hot weather-it left us too!!

ETA-I just want to add on to what onthebit said. I think the burnout from good barn owners comes from the boarders who are always looking for something to complain about even if it's not there. It is so easy to make assumptions when you are looking at one moment in time in horse care and jump to conclusions.
    Sometimes a skinny horse isn't underfed but may have an underlying issue that is being addressed.
    As this thread has addressed, sometimes horses wear sheets for a variety of good reasons, no matter what the weather.
    Sometimes the BO is really trying to address the issue with a horse and the owner is the one who refuses to do anything about it.

This is not to say that the BO is always right. There are definitely really bad/crazy BOs and just about everyone has met at least one. The key is to not let the past experiences cloud your judgement so much that you can't appreciate the good experiences.

I can understand the concern of OP's friend. But and it's a big but, with something like leaving blankets on when it's warm I do believe I would watch to see if it's repeated day after day or if it was just a one time event. That of course is assuming that they actually were blankets and not just sheets.

I would never have jumped on to COTH, made the complaint and named names. OP, you are screwing with someone's business...you need more proof before lobbing accusations out there.

I had my on little incident last week. I'm driving down the main road (remember I live in KY and sort of out in the boonies) and I see two horses in the median between the main road and the little parallel side road. So I go back to let the owner know their loose. Well, turns out they're not loose. They are tied to one of those hanging plant stakes. In the median. Along a main road, speed limit 55 but everyone goes 65. I called 911 because it was a disaster looking for a place to happen. No I didn't knock on the door because anyone that is stupid enough to tie their horses to a hanging planter pole jammed into the ground probably isn't going to be too receptive to my complaint that it is probably one of the dumbest things I've seen since I moved here. But, I didn't come onto COTH and post their name and address either.

What was the point of the public outing unless you have a bone to pick with the farm owner?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.