The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation blankets in 80F+ degree weather on horses at a retirement facility :(

i got a call yesterday from asking if i know anyone at a local retirement facility in East Amwell, NJ, b/c the horses are out in blankets. it was well over 80F yesterday and the day before.
    it's a retirement barn. i don't know how often the owners of these horses visit. it's horrifying and, sadly, not unusual. i've seen the same thing couple of years ago. also, just about every year i see a horse spend the winter outside (this is pasture board) in a torn blanket with stuffing hanging out - you know that blanket gets soaked through in that condition.

please, please, don't think that your horses are safe at a retirement barn. please go visit them. if you can't, find someone local, give them a few bucks, and ask them to check on your horse.
    Last edited by marta; Apr. 11, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

5 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if they are skinny under those blankets.... yikes.

3 members found this post helpful.

Blankets on in 80*. There's more going on there than *just* that guaranteed... I agree, if you're not local- have someone that is to check your horses.
    Kerri

That's awful and agree probably a lot of other bad things going on over there than just blankets...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

1 members found this post helpful.

Can you call AC and see if an officer can just do a quick stop by and put a hand on those animals UNDER the rugs to make sure the rugs aren't hiding skeletal critters?

We have an a$$hat up the road who had for the past 6 years refused to feed her horses hay in the winter. The horses all get to a body grade of about 2-3. When they get really skinny, she rugs them up...until the "pasture" (weed lot) comes in.

After 6 years of calling non-stop, FINALLY we have an AC who listens, he either got sick of me calling or whatever, but has intervened. Don't wait to call.

And I second it - "old folks warehouses" can be GREAT facilities or they can be horrible regardless of whether it's human or horse.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    please, please, don't think that your horses are safe at a retirement barn.
    While I absolutely agree that blankets on in that warm of weather is horrible and a good indicator that many other things could be wrong, this is quite a broad brush you use with this statement. The same could be said about boarding barns, dogs in boarding kennels etc. One just needs the right retirement facility. Hyperbole about them in general isn't a great thing.

There are a lot of great retirement facility owners out there (and some on this board). Perhaps asking them for ways to vet a new place would be more helpful.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

8 members found this post helpful.

Maybe they were fly sheets? I live in Delaware and right now we are under attack from mosquito's due to all the wet weather and now warm conditions. I have a farm full of ottb's all wearing fly sheets because they aren't enjoying getting attacked.

6 members found this post helpful.

Hey, I have a retirement boarder and I can assure you I change/remove blankets.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default long spot

i think you missed my point.
    i'm not saying only retirement facilities are guilty of neglect. my point was that people who send their horses to retirement facilities are often absentee owners but that they should not take it for granted that their horses are cared for and should make arrangements to have someone check on their horse if they cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    While I absolutely agree that blankets on in that warm of weather is horrible and a good indicator that many other things could be wrong, this is quite a broad brush you use with this statement. The same could be said about boarding barns, dogs in boarding kennels etc. One just needs the right retirement facility. Hyperbole about them in general isn't a great thing.

There are a lot of great retirement facility owners out there (and some on this board). Perhaps asking them for ways to vet a new place would be more helpful.

How many of the horses were blanketed? Was it just one? Or a few? Maybe there is something else going on besides blatant neglect. Maybe the horse as a health issue that requires it to be blanketed? I wouldn't be too hasty to jump to conclusions

Just a comment. I don't know about this incident, but the barn you refer to and they were nothing but super to us after our horse was injured in a barn fire next door some years ago. They made room for Alex and let us stay for a week or more until other arrangements could be made. Never charged us a penny and put up with all sorts of visiting hours in the barn behind their house while we were treating him the first while. We are talking us showing up 6+ times a day for various treatments. They helped where they could.

The horses were in pretty good shape when we were there and haven't seen anything in sad shape in the fields in years since. Several of the horses they were keeping for people were quite elderly and looked pretty good.

They live in the house on the farm.

Might mention the weather has only been over 70 for a few days and is back in the 50s again today. It's also been relatively chilly at night. I might prefer the blankets off for the heat of the day, but it's not like they are blanketed in the middle of August.

That said I agree that any horse in someone else's care should get regular checks.

By the way... our Alex was also in a light turnout while out the last few days. Since the fire he cannot be out in the sun without some sort of blanket. We check regularly and haven't found him oversweaty yet and our BO is a super person who fusses with his wardrobe more than we would. I'm guessing they are fine.
    Last edited by Drive NJ; Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: removing farm name since OP removed from her post

7 members found this post helpful.

Drive NJ

i realize your horse is a special case but i'm shocked that you would suggest that use of blankets would be acceptable in the temps we had the last two days under normal circumstances. even a clipped horse should be naked in those temps.

but, a lesson to learn here is that as usual with horse people, there is always more than one opinion. clearly ours differ. notwithstanding, i will remove the barn's name from my original post.

Marta

You are just plain wrong. They could be cool sheerts which offer protection from the sun and from flies expecially if they are old and thin skinned.

Obviously you have never lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona or anywhere else where it can get into the 110 range.

A sheet like a tee shirt on a person protects them from burning. It is NOT ABUSE

Now...why haven't you just called them and asked.

2 members found this post helpful.

The 80 degrees we had in NJ was extremely abnormal for this time of year - I think we came close to or actually broke a record high - so the BO's might have been caught off guard. But the poor horses must of been uncomfortable, hope someone got the blankets off at some point...

That said I saw a horrid starvation case (1.5 on the scale per my vet when I got her home) that was blanketed on a hot day (place was having a show, guess they didn't want the public to know how they treated the rough board TB's) When I lifted the blanket I nearly sank to my knees in shock, before then I hadn't see such abuse other than on tv. (the 3 yo filly made a full recovery & found a lovely home in NC)

Definitely would raise eyebrows to see blankets on horses in the 80's - but more research justified in this case before casting stones, as it truly was strange weather for our area.

do you really think a horse owner could not tell a difference between a sheet and a blanket?

why are COTHers such contrarians? if i posted that i like my horse in a medium weight in 80F+ you'd all be jumping up and down screaming at me to tell me what danger i'm putting my horse in.

20 members found this post helpful.

I am guilty of sometimes leaving my horse's sheet on him when I feed early in the morning and it's still chilly. Then, I go to work. As is often typical in the Midwest, it could go from 30* in the morning to 80* by noon, with no warning at all. I can't leave work, drive an hour to take his blanket off if it gets warm, and drive an hour back to work. So, he stays in it until I get home and is no worse for the wear.
    Perhaps there was no one at the barn at the time to remove blankets when it got warmer? Maybe there is something more sinister going on at the facility...maybe not. But, it is still good advice for those with retirees to visit them regularly, because you never know if you don't check.

This happens to owners across the states where a "concerned" person DECIDES that since they can not see water buckets..horses are thirsty...people driving by a farm at 60 mph call animal control because they claim they can't see any hay and the horsey's LOOK hungry ???? how one would see all that at 60 mph I don't know.

Your friend could have stopped and asked...would not even have to be confrontational. Could have said..gosh..I see you are protecting your horses from the sun. Can you tell me what type of blanket you use?

This just smells of a set up

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    do you really think a horse owner could not tell a difference between a sheet and a blanket?

why are COTHers such contrarians? if i posted that i like my horse in a medium weight in 80F+ you'd all be jumping up and down screaming at me to tell me what danger i'm putting my horse in.
    Thi is what you posted

i got a call yesterday from my BO asking if i know anyone at a local retirement facility, Fawn Run Farm in East Amwell, NJ, b/c the horses are out in blankets. it was well over 80F yesterday and the day before.

If they were there they could have checked...sounds like they were driving by and couldn't see what type of blanket it was.

3 members found this post helpful.

*** I wasn't intentionally trying to be contradictory, I was merely pointing out that there could be legitimate reasons that the blanket/s were still on before jumping on the 'oh what horrible people!' Bandwagon.

Fairfax

I specifically noted that I removed the name of the barn from my original post following NJ Drive's post. Why are you reposting it if you're truly concerned about my judgment?

And as far as your question - trust me, they could tell. Do you really have to be standing next to the horse before you can tell whether it's a scrim or a blanket it's wearing?