The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse NQR

I have a 16 yr old Arab gelding that has never been sick before (knock on wood) He always dunks his hay in his water when he is in his stall, when he is out in the pasture he does not dunk it just eats it. I moved him to a new place 2 weeks ago. He doesn't dunk his hay anymore, just on occasion. He does have a bucket and auto waterer in his stall. Well last night he stopped eating. He was passing manure but wouldnt eat. I walked him and gace him banamine. His heart rate good, temp good, no "colic signs" and a half hour after getting the banamine he ate his grain and hay and drank some water. This morning he seems alert, temp fine etc but wont eat his grain or hay. He has poop in his stall and he did pee. I am at a loss as to what this could be. Grain has not changed. Anyone have any ideas???

Definitely warrants a call into your vet, but my suspicion would be ulcers.

2 members found this post helpful.

Could be a problem with his teeth too. Have they been checked lately?

Another vote for ulcers. You recently moved him, that is stressful, stress causes ulcers, and a major symptom is losing appetite/going off feed.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I'd say get the vet to look at his teeth and also possibly ulcers since he was moved.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Magics Mom, my horse (12 yrs.) has dunked his hay when in a stall his entire life. Serial dunker. In turn out, just like your guy, he'll eat without dunking, unless the hay is placed right next to the trough and then he'll happily dunk away. And, like your guy, when I moved him a year ago, he quit dunking. It was the first sign of a major battle to come, so I hope your guy has a different reason for changing his habits. My boy quickly developed other signs and was eventually diagnosed with EPM and Lyme and then I found that he'd also torn his pectoral muscles and tendons, most likely while struggling with the unsteadiness and ataxia - a terribly debilitating and painful injury. As he recovered, he began dunking again, but I started giving him Gatorade almost immediately after the dunking stopped because his water intake had clearly decreased and I was having none of that. Fortunately, as it turns out, there is nothing he loves more than lemon-lime Gatorade and just increasing his level of hydration made such a difference in his comfort level throughout his illness. He gets his "Gators" now after work and anyone can tell that it's the highlight of his day.
    If your horse's water intake is down with the lack of dunking try to find something he really enjoys drinking to keep him as hydrated as he would be if he were happily dunking away. I reached for Gatorade b/c I hoped that the fluids + electrolytes would be palatable to him that way and they were. It was fortunate that he liked the lemon-lime best because I buy the powder and mix it as strong or as weak as I like. I didn't feel comfortable just adding salt or electrolytes to whatever I could get him to eat without knowing FOR SURE that he'd drink after eating.
    I also got fluids into him with wet feed. When he decided eating was overrated (shortly after he quit dunking), I added soaked alfalfa pellets to his diet. He'd eat some grain, but he wasn't touching his hay and he'd always been a hay vacuum. He LOVED the soaked alfalfa pellets and would clean up every last juicy, slurpy bite.
    He never had a fever, never acted colicky and it all started with "he's just not quite right". Kudos to you for being on top of your horse's normal habits and behavior and for noticing when those are altered. I hope it's just the stress of moving and that he's right as rain in no time.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

1 members found this post helpful.

JackieBlue - that is exactly him.

I went out at lunch and checked on him again. I gave him some sweet fed over his oats, he did eat some of them put his hay in a tub of water, he started eating a little of that and gave him some banamine - his temp, heart rate, gut sounds and lungs sound good. He is still passing manure - however when I pinch his skin on his neck it doesn't go back like it should - I think he is dehydrated. I have a call into the vet right now. His stall is usually pretty wet which is why I bed him deep, and it hasn't been wet since we moved there - I noticed that right away but his stall is usually cleaned about an hour before I get there. I put it together this morning when I went out before work and still not wet.

I never thought of gatoraide - I will never complain about his disgusting dunking habit again, I am not sure why he stopped dunking his hay. Its the same alfalfa mix, he has a water bucket to dunk in and his auto waterer to drink out of. I dont think he is bothered by the move he has been all over and nothing phases him, plus my other boys are always with him.

His teeth were done this spring (March). He has never been sick since I bought him as a 5 yr old. He has had lameness issues but never sick - this is totally new for him

Thanks for all the ideas hopefully the vet will call soon.

If he has uclers, the banamine is just going to make them worse, not to mention the possibility of colitis/renal issues if he is dehydrated, so I wouldn't give him anymore until you talk to a vet.

Yep, my boy's stall is always a soggy mess. Goes hand in hand with all the dunking. We call him The Swamp Thing. ;-). I LOVE horses that dunk. You rarely have to worry about their hydration and, as you're now discovering, they let you know when they're feeling even a little bit off.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

With the suspicion of ulcers (from his recent move) i would forego any grain, esp. sweet feed

Quote Originally Posted by Magics Mom View Post
    I have a 16 yr old Arab gelding that has never been sick before (knock on wood) He always dunks his hay in his water when he is in his stall, when he is out in the pasture he does not dunk it just eats it. I moved him to a new place 2 weeks ago. He doesn't dunk his hay anymore, just on occasion. He does have a bucket and auto waterer in his stall. Well last night he stopped eating. He was passing manure but wouldnt eat. I walked him and gace him banamine. His heart rate good, temp good, no "colic signs" and a half hour after getting the banamine he ate his grain and hay and drank some water. This morning he seems alert, temp fine etc but wont eat his grain or hay. He has poop in his stall and he did pee. I am at a loss as to what this could be. Grain has not changed. Anyone have any ideas???
    Get the vet to do some blookwork. Rule out kidney failure. My former "dunker" started showing symptoms like this, finally progressed to not eating at all. Bloodwork showed chronic kidney failure. Better wishes for you!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Vet was out and tubed him with water and oil. They said he was dehydrated, everything else looked good. They pulled blood will see this morning what that brings. He ate all his grain and is working on his hay this morning, his hay is in a bucket full of water so he is making his soup again. I think I am going to start him on smartgut just to be safe. I will never complain again about having a dunker!

On a side note, my horse is a dunker at some barns and not at others. He seems to only like to dunk into automatic waters. I think he knows that way he can keep his water fresh and eat his hay wet. With just buckets, it very very rare for him to dunk.

Magics Mom, how is your boy doing?

Did you happen to look in his mouth or at his new pasture? We had an OTTB who would get horrid mouth sores after I mowed his fields. He always seemed colicky but then just when I was thinking he had an impaction, he'd poop. I finally figured out he was eating buttercup clippings in the field which were making the inside of his mouth raw and sore, hence the lack of appetite. How's yours doing now, OP?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

He is eating again and back to light work. We are putting his hay into water and I fed him some alfalfa cubes watered down for a week. He is back to drinking, getting enough water on his own without the cubes now. I did order smart gut from smartpak to start him on just for precaution. The BO said she doesn't mind watering his hay for him instead of getting him to dunk his hay himself, so we are going to continue with that, I thought that would be more work for her, but she said it was fine. She takes care of the boys really good. He is also eating his oats again without any hesitation. Hopefully all will continue. Thank you very much for asking.

I didn't check his pasture - he has only been out a handful of times since it has been raining here nonstop for 2 weeks. Everything is under water or mud

YAY! What a fantastic update! I'm so glad to hear he's acting more like himself. Maybe the move was tougher on him than he was letting on? I hope he continues to thrive at the new place!