The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hose for wash stall swinging boom

I have a great swinging arm boom sprayer for our wash stall, I think made by Farnham. The hose is leaking and needs to be replaced. I can't find a replacement online. I hate to buy a whole new one since the hardware is fine.

If I just buy a 25' 1/2inch garden hose I think I'll have to cut off the ends to be able to thread the hose through the boom tube, and then use a hose repair kit to reattach couplers to which I can attach the nozzle at one end and the female threaded end piece at the other. Which also seems kind of dumb - buying a brand new hose and cutting the ends off.

Any other ideas?

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I've never seen any kind of repair fitting for a hose that ever worked as good, or as long as the original fittings, and didn't decrease the flow rate. I'd avoid cutting it. You can tie a prussik hitch around the hose and tie it to the end of the boom, using a good quality small line, without having to do any hose surgery, or welding.

I have lots of patience normally, but I wouldn't have enough patience to do anything with a 1/2" water hose.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I bought a Gatorhyde hose when I finally got disgusted with the Flexgen in the wash stall. One thing I didn't anticipate was liking the Nickel plated ends. This winter, I found that they don't leave any taste in your mouth when you blow the hose empty in freezing weather. I found it easier to blow out the 25' hose than handle it to drain it. I didn't used to like doing that with brass ended hoses after doing it once.

They come in all diameters and lengths.

http://www.amazon.com/GatorHyde-Drin.../dp/B001ML8KXK

rather than threading the hose through the boom, why don't you just use wire ties to attach it to the boom on the outside? Should work fine!

Another thought...I'd go with a 5/8 inch hose for better water pressure. JMO
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Default Good suggestion...

Tying a new hose to the outside would work - just looking for a cleaner and better looking solution. We are spending a lot to renovate the barn and everything is going to be gorgeous...

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorselover View Post
    Tying a new hose to the outside would work - just looking for a cleaner and better looking solution. We are spending a lot to renovate the barn and everything is going to be gorgeous...
    In that case, spend the $100 and get a new one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    I bought a Gatorhyde hose when I finally got disgusted with the Flexgen in the wash stall.
    Best hose ever...